Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,429,497 times

Advertisements

In order to take this exam, do you have to have a finance/accounting/business degree?

If you don't officially have to get those degrees, in reality, don't you really need it in any event since it requires four years of practice in business, which you'd be unlikely to have without a formal degree in finance or related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,089 times
From what I understand, you do not need the business degree, but it would be an even harder exam than it already is without them.

Many people self-study, but I think they have business backgrounds already. If you did not get a business degree, you would probably have to study so much to the point where you practically know enough to have one.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:59 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,429,497 times
How hard is the exam?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,416,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
How hard is the exam?
It is legendarily brutal. Arguably the hardest financial certification. Three levels, each progressively harder, each culminating in a six hour exam. Most people do about roughly a level per year - if they pass. The CFA Institute (test makers) says that successful participants report spending an average of 250-300 hours study time for each level. Less than 20% of people who start it make it through.

Pass Your CFA Exams On The First Try

Completing the CFA Program

Frankly, if you're looking to just get a job in many areas of finance/accounting, you don't really need it. I have a good career in corporate finance just fine without it - in face, a CPA would do much better here. For my job, you mainly need a degree in finance/accounting and maybe an MBA. Even many aspects of I-banking really don't need it. The CFA is really ultimately focused towards certain specialized areas of investments, particularly those dealing with complex portfolios. A friend of mine from the corporate finance world who made it through the tests now works as an associate director for a hedge fund.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,371,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It is legendarily brutal. Arguably the hardest financial certification. Three levels, each progressively harder, each culminating in a six hour exam. Most people do about roughly a level per year - if they pass. The CFA Institute (test makers) says that successful participants report spending an average of 250-300 hours study time for each level. Less than 20% of people who start it make it through.

This is intriguing, I'm tempted to for it just to prove I can pass it.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,540,250 times
I have a question do you think Accounting/Finance majors have good opportunities in this market. I am nurse but I want to switch fields. I saw a program for MBA/accounting, and it allows you to sit for the CPA after one yr of employment at a public firm. I was trying to guage how good such a degree would be in this market. Also, I'm 30 yrs old, so any input from anyone would be beneficial. The reason I put age was to note the competition from younger grads. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics