Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/op...=1&ref=opinion

Okay, maybe he has a point. Tea Party, are you listening?

Quote:
I have worked with investors for 60 years and I have yet to see anyone — not even when capital gains rates were 39.9 percent in 1976-77 — shy away from a sensible investment because of the tax rate on the potential gain. People invest to make money, and potential taxes have never scared them off. And to those who argue that higher rates hurt job creation, I would note that a net of nearly 40 million jobs were added between 1980 and 2000. You know what’s happened since then: lower tax rates and far lower job creation.

My friends and I have been coddled long enough by a billionaire-friendly Congress. It’s time for our government to get serious about shared sacrifice.
Buffett Blasts Low Taxes On Billionaires, Says Congress Must Stop Coddling Them | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Instead of op-eds old Warren should just pony up. As others have said, if Warren doesn't feel like he's paying his fair share he could always fire his herd of tax attorney's and cut a 5 billion dollar check to the IRS.

Me suspects old Warren has an agenda.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Cmon kid, we've been over this. It's not about Warren himself. It's about broad tax reform. I'm not too big on class warfare, but if you think the rich haven't already waged war on the middle class through tax legislation up to this point, you're deluding yourself. You're defending the same people that are plotting via think-tanks how to push tax more taxes on the bottom 98%. How don't people see that?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 PM

401 posts, read 944,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Instead of op-eds old Warren should just pony up. As others have said, if Warren doesn't feel like he's paying his fair share he could always fire his herd of tax attorney's and cut a 5 billion dollar check to the IRS.

I agree. Warren, Sean Penn, Barbara Striesand could live like the common folk, give the remaining money to the Uncle Sam. Not the total answer, but it is a good start.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:

You're generally smarter than this talking point.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You're generally smarter than this talking point.
Yeah, it's seems the right wing internet mud slingers go-to on this article is "Buffet can pay more if he wants to." Is that the best that Limbaugh could give them?

It's absurd that capital gains, money made from moving money from point a to point b, is taxed lower than income. A Doctor who works 60 hours per week as a resident is paying in the 28% bracket, while a billionaire is paying 15% on money he moves from one scheme to another. Makes no sense. Thanks Reagan!!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:

Warren already donated, or is planning to donate, 99% of his wealth to charity. Why should he subsidize the misleadings of our government with his money? He has a point, and he put his money where his mouth is. I heard the same thing (Give a check to the IRS) from my hardcore TEA party buddy, and it just made him look crazy.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Warren already donated, or is planning to donate, 99% of his wealth to charity. Why should he subsidize the misleadings of our government with his money? He has a point, and he put his money where his mouth is. I heard the same thing (Give a check to the IRS) from my hardcore TEA party buddy, and it just made him look crazy.

All that you need to do to know to determine what your tea party buddy is going to say is listen to the first 10 minute or so of Limbaugh or Hannity every day. You will see with shocking regularity the similarity in what is said between Limbaugh, right wing blogs, and internet conservo-jocky wannabees.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
All that you need to do to know to determine what your tea party buddy is going to say is listen to the first 10 minute or so of Limbaugh or Hannity every day. You will see with shocking regularity the similarity in what is said between Limbaugh, right wing blogs, and internet conservo-jocky wannabees.
Yeah I really don't get it...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Yeah, this is the point that the less educated, working class, tea-party type Republicans will never get (of which Long Island seems to be full of). They like to talk about "redistribution of income". Yes, income has been redistributed, but not in the direction they think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics