U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 AM

11,010 posts, read 10,603,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You described the biggest flaw with progressive tax right here. The wealthy pay more than the poor. One that is realized, it is not surprising that tax cuts affect the rich more than the poor.

Some people seem to feel that the wealthy should be paying a larger portion of their money in taxes. That makes no sense. Why punish those who are wealthier?
I don't see that as a flaw. I see it as a mechanism for raising the money we need to run a government. Tax progressivity allows us to do things as a country that we couldn't do otherwise. A flat rate tax, if enacted, would not only reduce overall tax revenues it would make it difficult to fund a strong national defense, medicaid, or host of other activities many of us take for granted.

The problem with you is that you're essentially making a "moral argument" that many of us don't share. I don't see anything immoral about a graduated or progress income tax system. A tax system is in place to raise money to meet the needs of funding a state. Unless a tax totally impoverishes a group or destroys them, I fail to see any moral implication to it at all.

Finally, people who talk about a flat tax of 5% or 10% on everyone being a "good thing" clearly don't understand how expensive it is to run a modern state. A 5% tax would about pay the interest on our national debt and nothing more. A 10% tax would pay that interest and might barely pay for a small military plus keep the power bill paid in Washington, D.C. If you're going to advocate such a thing, be honest and tell us that's the kind of government you really want. Tell us what you really seek is the abolition of social security, medicare, medicaid, homeland security, food stamps, student loans, and any kind of assistance to the poor at all.

Last edited by markg91359; 09-19-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,092 posts, read 2,260,066 times
New government fees pepper Obama deficit plan - Yahoo! Finance

Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 PM

5,699 posts, read 6,482,910 times
Yes. The middle-class backs are not strong enough to carry the load.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 PM

29,499 posts, read 33,999,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Yes. The middle-class backs are not strong enough to carry the load.
then lighten the load

Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM

13,665 posts, read 23,825,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
then lighten the load
It's been said that many high income earners aren't necessarily opposed to paying more in taxes, however they want a say in where the money goes.

I think while that is unreasonable, what is reasonable is America as we know it is not sustainable. Domestic subsidies need to end, our military needs to be "right sized" and brought home to defend our country's borders from attack, etc.

I think if Washington made huge, drastic, long lasting cuts no one would be opposed to paying more in tax.

The simple fact of the matter is keeping tax rates low for the low and middle class actually help the economy, and increasing taxes on them will do much more to hurt the economy than increasing taxes on the very wealthy.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,432,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
What about the people who pay too much taxes? (ie. middle class)

I think we should have an alternative MAXIMUM tax. If your taxes goes above a certain percentage of your income then you get a credit to reduce the amount of taxes you pay.

Personally I believe that no one should pay more than 10% of their income in taxes which includes state, local, federal as well as indirect taxes such as sales taxes, property taxes etc.
I don't view the middleclass as paying too much tax. I view them as the only ones paying their fair share.

At 10%, we couldn't sustain the type of infrastructure we have now. I would push for 20% across the board.

Another thing that bugs me... If we're going to have a social security system, then allow for social security tax on all types of income (up to the cap). Not just earned income.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,432,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Finally, people who talk about a flat tax of 5% or 10% on everyone being a "good thing" clearly don't understand how expensive it is to run a modern state. A 5% tax would about pay the interest on our national debt and nothing more. A 10% tax would pay that interest and might barely pay for a small military plus keep the power bill paid in Washington, D.C. If you're going to advocate such a thing, be honest and tell us that's the kind of government you really want. Tell us what you really seek is the abolition of social security, medicare, medicaid, homeland security, food stamps, student loans, and any kind of assistance to the poor at all.
At a flat tax rate, 5% to 10% is too low. We would need 15%+ and/or a VAT.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:03 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,951,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Obama to propose "Buffett tax" on millionaires - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/obama-propose-buffett-tax-millionaires-225402476.html - broken link)

ABSOLUTELY without question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics