U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,092 posts, read 2,259,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What intelligent person would listen to an actor on any subject outside of acting?

I mean, seriously. If a famous economist such as Paul Krugman or Milton Friedman decided to opine on movies, would you devote more than a nanosecond of thoughts to his opinions? So why would you care about what an actor thinks about economics?

Listen to me, PLL. An actor is a person who lives in a fantasy world, a Rube Goldberg industry where nothing is made to last longer than the six-week release in theaters and the video sales the following year. He is an attractive man who has learned to mimic emotions in front of a camera. That is it. He is enabled by an entourage of Yes men and assorted handlers and enablers. His life is not based in the least in reality.

Just as importantly, Matt Damon has a small squad of CPAs who do nothing all day but think about how to play keepaway from the IRS. Offshore holdings, investments, you name it. So not only are you giving credence to an actor holding forth on economics, but you're listening to a man who, when it comes down to nut-cutting time, probably won't take his own medicine.

In that sense, what Matt Damon knows about public policy or economics would barely fit on the head of a pin. You might as well ask the cashier down at the grocery store what she thinks of tax policy. In fact, you might get a more intelligent answer, given how she's probably more attuned to the way the world really functions.

Yet credulous people like you actually give this man a bully pulpit, when the guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

Why? Why do you let yourself be swayed by vapid nitwits?
Such an angry tone..lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 PM

28,900 posts, read 49,086,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Such an angry tone..lol.
Seriously? That's all you've got?

Nothing angry about what I wrote. However, I'm a bit disheartened that people like you will actually be influenced by the Matt Damons of the world, by people who do not have a clear grasp of the issues. Dazzled by star power, you'll believe any old claptrap simply because the guy from the Bourne Supremacy utters it.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM

67 posts, read 136,954 times
How about leave or lower taxes and instead cut spending

We can't afford to be the world police or a empire, we just can't.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM

718 posts, read 1,898,584 times
And that is the answer? How about spending more where it counts and a little less on things like toilets in the Fed baths and all the other idiotic items the American public thinks the government pay for. How about responsibility being taught in the schools and classes on money and how to save and spend wisely? Ah, and let's get the opinions of the actors? I don't mind. One of our best Presidents was a former actor. They are entitled to their opinions too.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
And that is the answer? How about spending more where it counts and a little less on things like toilets in the Fed baths and all the other idiotic items the American public thinks the government pay for. How about responsibility being taught in the schools and classes on money and how to save and spend wisely? Ah, and let's get the opinions of the actors? I don't mind. One of our best Presidents was a former actor. They are entitled to their opinions too.
True. Reagan actually ran for office, however. A classic example of putting one's money where one's mouth is. Making token appearances at fund raising and parroting whatever one reads in the HuffPo or the DrudgeReport just ain't the same.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM

6,257 posts, read 14,234,368 times
Damon is a pretty smart guy. I for one think we should raise taxes on the rich, and this is coming from someone with an economics background. The fact of the matter is, the extremely rich pay far less in taxes as a percentage of income than what the highest tax bracket is. It's also why people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett pay a smaller percentage of their income to taxes than their secretaries do. They been saying for years that they don't pay enough in taxes. Just recently, Ben Stein (yes that one, a Republican to boot) had an interview on Fox News saying that taxes need to be raised on the rich.

When you have so many rich businessmen, actors, and economists saying to raise their own taxes, that should trump the opinions of the rest of us, who won't be affected at all.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 PM

20,194 posts, read 21,503,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Damon is a pretty smart guy. I for one think we should raise taxes on the rich, and this is coming from someone with an economics background. The fact of the matter is, the extremely rich pay far less in taxes as a percentage of income than what the highest tax bracket is. It's also why people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett pay a smaller percentage of their income to taxes than their secretaries do. They been saying for years that they don't pay enough in taxes. Just recently, Ben Stein (yes that one, a Republican to boot) had an interview on Fox News saying that taxes need to be raised on the rich.

When you have so many rich businessmen, actors, and economists saying to raise their own taxes, that should trump the opinions of the rest of us, who won't be affected at all.
Oh, that's all... we should raise taxes on those who make 10 million or more a year? Okay... we can forget about the 250k then right? What do you mean no? I see, comparing apples and oranges to make lemonade... It is ironic that you think an activist is a smart guy because he thinks the same as you... or maybe it isn't ironic... The extremely rich pay mostly capital gains tax and last time I check, your "smart" guys are advocating to increase income tax... wow, just wow....

Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:

As opposed to the rich businessmen and economists who say that raising it is a terrible idea. That's a clearcut case of confirmation bias if ever I heard it. For starters, let's not talk about economists as if they were a monolithic block. Unlike physics or chemistry, economics is generally a terrible predictive science, if it can be termed a science at all, and there is nowhere near unanimity on even some basics. So while the Keynesians think jacking up taxes is an awfully darned good idea, the Monetarists and the Austrians would vehemently disagree. After all, the Keynesians gave us the stagflation of the 70s.

Look, here's the thing. I think that's absolutely wonderful that Bill Gates and Warren Buffett think it's a good thing to pay more. Let them write the check. However, I'm fairly certain that both employ large numbers of accountants to keep their taxable income at a bare minimum. And while I think Ben Stein is a funny guy in a lot of ways, his economic predictions over the past few years have been absolutely dreadful. And how do we even begin to define the rich? Our household income is well north of 200K if you figure in our paper profits from my business and our rental properties.

But we don't certainly feel rich, and we're certainly not lighting cigars with $100 bills. But some policy makers would like to put a big, fat target on our backs every April 15th, despite the fact that we and fellow entrepreneurs are the ones responsible for roughly 75% of the jobs growth in this country. And if you poll all of us, we're pretty terrified to hire anybody, because we have no idea what whimsical scheme will be foisted on us by policy makers who have never worked the first day in the private sector.

To me, the only prescription is to halt the growth in spending. As in right now. As in not increase the budget one more dime. If people squeal about the lack of increased funding for Medicare and Medicaid, then have them demand more efficiency from the system. As somebody who has seen the inner workings of some Federal agencies, I have been appalled by the sheer waste by civil servants who couldn't care less about the taxpayer. Until the kneejerk impulse to keep ratcheting spending a point or two above inflation yearly is curbed, we'll see the continued erosion of the economy, the continued erosion of the dollar's value and, finally, the collapse of a government that tried to appease the demands of everyone.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-03-2011 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM

12,869 posts, read 13,679,140 times
Quote:

they could write that check at any time.

they are nothing but hypocrites. i think if they are going to mouth off about taxes, we should all see what they actually did pay in taxes.

like bono and his scam charity ONE:

Rock philanthropist Bono, the frontman of U2, has come under attack after it was revealed that his anti-poverty foundation ‘ONE’ gives only one percent of its funds to charity.

http://www.indiantvtoday.com/bono-ch...es/2010/09/29/

as well as this one:

Bono and Bill Gates-backed Global Health Charity EXPOSED as a Fraud :

I'm so sick and tired of hearing from these know-nothings. Whether it's Paul "I've never made a single call right" Krugman, or billionaire Warren "I hide my money in trusts but want you to pay more taxes" Buffett, it's long past time they all stick a sock in their pie holes.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 PM

13,719 posts, read 27,152,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
What do you want to spend more money on? What toilets in the Fed bathrooms are you talking about? If we eliminated them completely, how much money would we save? $5M per year? I am all for eliminating waste but this would accomplish nothing.

Everyone is entitled to speak their mind. But that doesn't mean they deserve to be heard. Damon is an apparently intelligent person based on what I have heard him say. But Hollywood in general isn't credible on national policy issues. Hollywood lives in an alternate reality (e.g. Gwyneth Paltrow).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics