Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,486,036 times

Advertisements

Matt Damon seems to think so. His reported net worth is $65 million and is currently paying 25% in taxes. I think it may be a good idea.

Matt Damon Rips Debt Deal, Republicans, Tea Party (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:51 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Matt Damon seems to think so. His reported net worth is $65 million and is currently paying 25% in taxes. I think it may be a good idea.

I find it interesting how much people value the opinion of actors and comedians in modern America. Anyhow, of course he agrees with upping the tax on the wealthy, he has the means to shelter his money...like hopefully money out of the country : fingers crossed: seriously, the richer you get, the better take breaks. Remember Hank Paulson who cashed in 700 million in Goldmansacs and didn't have to pay taxes due to the amount?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
I am most interested in simplifying the tax code dramatically. Eliminate deductions and loopholes that wealthy are better equipped to take advantage of. Tax collections should increase, which might allow lower tax rates all around. And of course simplifying the tax code will shrink the size of the IRS and the entire tax return industry.

Oh - and although I like Damon's movies, I do not care in the least what he thinks about taxes.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:14 PM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
im all for making a minimum tax as well on that 49% of america that pay no income taxes at all as well.

no one should live in this country and pay zero. even if its a minimum of .50 cents a day. i worked in one of the lowest income areas of nyc and see the locals daily with beer, lottery tickets, cell phones and smoking.
no one should pay zero.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Do you think we should increase the taxes of the rich?
Not much point to raising taxes on anyone else. Is there?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM

92 posts, read 225,725 times
I think Matt Damon, and others like him, are full of BS when they say they think they should pay more tax. If they felt that strongly, they could always make a gift to the US Treasury to reduce the public debt. I have never heard any of them suggest such a voluntary gesture.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boystuition View Post
I think Matt Damon, and others like him, are full of BS when they say they think they should pay more tax. If they felt that strongly, they could always make a gift to the US Treasury to reduce the public debt. I have never heard any of them suggest such a voluntary gesture.

More people like Damon would probably write that check to the government if they could get a tax credit, or at least a deduction, for their effort.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM

92 posts, read 225,725 times
A gift to the United States Treasury is actually deductible as a charitable contribution. Let's all get out our checkbooks, shall we

Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 PM

513 posts, read 541,321 times
Do I get to decide what Matt Damon's "fair share" gets to be??

Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:

What intelligent person would listen to an actor on any subject outside of acting?

I mean, seriously. If a famous economist such as Paul Krugman or Milton Friedman decided to opine on movies, would you devote more than a nanosecond of thoughts to his opinions? So why would you care about what an actor thinks about economics?

Listen to me, PLL. An actor is a person who lives in a fantasy world, a Rube Goldberg industry where nothing is made to last longer than the six-week release in theaters and the video sales the following year. He is an attractive man who has learned to mimic emotions in front of a camera. That is it. He is enabled by an entourage of Yes men and assorted handlers and enablers. His life is not based in the least in reality.

Just as importantly, Matt Damon has a small squad of CPAs who do nothing all day but think about how to play keepaway from the IRS. Offshore holdings, investments, you name it. So not only are you giving credence to an actor holding forth on economics, but you're listening to a man who, when it comes down to nut-cutting time, probably won't take his own medicine.

In that sense, what Matt Damon knows about public policy or economics would barely fit on the head of a pin. You might as well ask the cashier down at the grocery store what she thinks of tax policy. In fact, you might get a more intelligent answer, given how she's probably more attuned to the way the world really functions.

Yet credulous people like you actually give this man a bully pulpit, when the guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

Why? Why do you let yourself be swayed by vapid nitwits?

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-03-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics