Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times

Advertisements

Now that the US has all but lost it's AAA rating, due to the deliberate ineffectiveness of our leaders, who is going to be accountable for this? Or is nobody in Washington going to accept responsibility and things will go on as usual - the very people that have taken this country to the precipice continue to receive high wages and live the high life while the proletariat suffers the consequences. Who is going to be fired, impeached and held accountable? If it were a private organization people would be getting fired right now...are our politicians really unaccountable for the repercussions of their actions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
the democrats will get voted our in 2012.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,177 times
Who is accountable??

1. The President-----He has become indecisive, weak, and lacking the reassurance and guidance that Americans need at this time.

2. Congress---Our legislators are now impostors----they no longer represent the American people or have the compass, bearing, logic, and reasoning that it takes.

They both share billing in this mess.

The time has come to put an end to this nonsense. We need to get to work---to use reason, practicality, and creativity to rein in our debt, and to put people back to work.

We need for our president to have vision---not just declare we need a stimulus but have no actual plan other to throw money to the wind and than to acknowledge oops I guess we didnt have shovel ready jobs.

We need to have legislators who want to plan, compromise, have vision, and above all to sacrifice self aggranizing in lieu of what is needed for this country.

Instead our legislators send this country right to the precipice of default, and for international consumption conduct the most pathetic and foolish debate for the whole world to watch. To put the icing on cake, a bogus stopgap is reached, and than everybody goes on summer vacation to watch what logical people knew was coming.

Our inept clowns have been warned repeatedly that a severe adverse reaction was coming, and they blew it off.

Come on clowns---come back to Washington ----if you need a roadmap we will get you one.

Americans----remember the names of paricipants in this debate who insisted upon slogans, dogma, and idealogy and blew off the American people and the international community. Take names and perhaps check the laws on recall elections----send them back to their ranches.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:49 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
The 'finger-pointing' mindset of congress and the American people does not solve the debt problem! Even if it could be proved that one party or leader was more to blame than another; ...that and $3.95 would still only get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Where are the true leaders? Where are the elected officials who look for solutions instead of someone to blame?

Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Who is accountable? Depends on who you ask I guess.

Everyone is pointing the finger at the President, both houses of congress, etc. Certainly they shoulder some of the blame and it's no secret that they are being whored out to the highest bidders.

But what about those millions upon millions of voters who keep electing those idiots? You know....the ones who view politics through a one dimensional "red/blue" or 'my side or the enemy' prism and usually base their votes on a single superficial issue (i.e. age/gender/appearance) and/or 30 second sound bytes?

And don't even get me started on the same voters who only agree on one thing: "Yeah...cuts need to be made. Just don't cut my funding."

Old 08-08-2011, 02:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
It is what it is and they are all accountable in one way or another.
Now we have to see what effect this has on the financial communities around the world and here in the US as far as interest rates.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Who is accountable? Depends on who you ask I guess.

Everyone is pointing the finger at the President, both houses of congress, etc. Certainly they shoulder some of the blame and it's no secret that they are being whored out to the highest bidders.

But what about those millions upon millions of voters who keep electing those idiots? You know....the ones who view politics through a one dimensional "red/blue" or 'my side or the enemy' prism and usually base their votes on a single superficial issue (i.e. age/gender/appearance) and/or 30 second sound bytes?

And don't even get me started on the same voters who only agree on one thing: "Yeah...cuts need to be made. Just don't cut my funding."
Exactly. We always want to blame this party or that, failing to realize they both have been bought by the same interests. We never look at ourselves, realizing we are to blame. We live in a system of handouts and warfare. Everybody agrees something needs cut, but nobody wants anything cut. A system that has to rely on a credit rating is doomed to fail from the get go. A system that relies on loans to pay for the system of handouts is a terrible system. Also, we need to look at the Federal Reserve. Without the printing press, we would never have been able to create such an entitlement system.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Well, I know for sure it is not me. I protested both wars and I begged my representatives to NOT vote for the bailouts and let the housing market and wall-street tank. I sound like a jerk, don't I? But a lot more people could have afforded houses..and IMO when stocks fall...there's always someone waiting to buy at a low price...The government took that opportunity to pick winners...and I was not one of them...so I'm pissed.

Congress is to blame on both sides. I am pro choice, but sheesh how hard is it to cut funding for planned parenthood? If you want an abortion...get the morning after pill. I benefit from the lower tax rate on dividends (thanks America, by the way), but I say to hell with them. I can pay 5% more (if that...because of deductions) in taxes so the frigging country doesn't go frigging bankrupt.

O my head.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Where are the elected officials who look for solutions instead of someone to blame?
You have to elect them, and to do that, you have to be willing to give up a few hours of television per week.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Well, I know for sure it is not me. I protested both wars and I begged my representatives to NOT vote for the bailouts and let the housing market and wall-street tank. I sound like a jerk, don't I? But a lot more people could have afforded houses..and IMO when stocks fall...there's always someone waiting to buy at a low price...The government took that opportunity to pick winners...and I was not one of them...so I'm pissed.

Congress is to blame on both sides. I am pro choice, but sheesh how hard is it to cut funding for planned parenthood? If you want an abortion...get the morning after pill. I benefit from the lower tax rate on dividends (thanks America, by the way), but I say to hell with them. I can pay 5% more (if that...because of deductions) in taxes so the frigging country doesn't go frigging bankrupt.

O my head.
a lot of people feel the way you do, but we are clearly NOT VOCAL ENOUGH.

no more bailouts
no more wars
no more illegal immigration
no more destroying american cars or american houses-someone may need them.
no taxpayer funded abortion (i am on board with taxpayer funded morning after pill only-that covers rape, incest, all the standard excuses, etc.)

how about a national lottery with all proceeds going only to pay down the debt, with a chance for reward for someone?

how about thanking the taxpayers who give more? many organizations have commemorative plaques/bricks/wings naming the donor (and sometimes the donation amount or range if it is large) put them names on bricks going up to the white house, something.... it is annoying that people just demand more and never show any gratitude to those who give. we will wind up like london, where houligans burn down london houses and businesses because they aren't happy with their "payouts". (how freaking insane is that?)

how hard is it to come up with a tax rate that REWARDS those who produce the jobs in this country and keep the jobs in this country? make it FAVORABLE to american employers.

could we please just get a leader who decides to reward GOOD behavior instead of BAD?

claw back the illegal bonuses-it is not too late. you have to set a MORAL example for this country on what is NOT acceptable behavior and you don't reward bad behavior on any level. PUNISH THE GUILTY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics