Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
unless you are counting all the money that keeps disappearing.

that is aid for somebody, but surely not us.
that's aid for the companies that hire the best lobbyists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Your faith in the good intentions of our government is inspiring. I wish I hadn't become so cynical with age and experience to be convinced that they are only doing it to profit themselves and the special interests that put them in office.
those american jobs they are creating are for their special interests, my friend. your cynicism is correct. Isreal giving tons of money to our companies that design military equipment...you can be darn sure those companies have lobbyists pushing continued aid to Isreal. some of the things we eventually learn had heavy lobbyist support often surprise me.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Why didn't you complete the last step? 75% of the money Israel gets from the US comes back to the US to purchase these military items which in turn puts money into American pockets as American jobs.
Oh, that is hardly the last step. Could do far more MIC details on that, but let's hop past our internal corporate pay-offs, and back towards the "aid" and the consequences.

Not the last step, but the next step, is -- Israel then uses that US made and funded advanced fighter aircraft to bomb their neighbors and civilians in occupied areas with WP, DU, and other advanced weapons.

These "targets" are typically of course simple poor folks who are basically at an Ox-Cart level existence due to prior Israel attacks. The attacks go forth with such clever names as "Cast Lead," at a level comparable to the Nazi attack on the Warsaw Ghetto, all the while Israel is chanting, "Never Forget," and "Never Again."

The enraged neighbors and surrounding countries place some protest, ignored by US, and a few do either small real or are blamed for false-flag counter-attacks. Those occasionally go wide enough to directly involve US. In all that, the US MIC smiles deeply inside and says -- More War. War is Good Business.

Quote:
Egypt has 0% requirement as does Jordan. The US cannot take away the money from these three countries due to it being part of the Treaty the US brokered.
Some parts of US have some guilty conscious that we are funding genocide in the area, but that does not go too deep, and so some indulgences are continued.

At this point, even Carter who set up the Camp David Accords you are describing is calling Israel an Apartheid operation, but like most nominal US "Christians" is too co-dependent to stop this.

Soooo . . . . Did I miss much in that?

Here's the link for USAID
U.S. Agency for International Development (http://www.usaid.gov/index.html - broken link)[/quote]

Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i think there are probably very few instances of aid we give without expecting something in return. even supposed humanitarian aid could be a benefit to us. helping Haiti stabalize could help get their garment industry back in tact more quickly, providing a close location for US Companies to have garment factories. Things like that. I seriously doubt that there's a lot of aid given for purely charity reasons. Not the way our government and lobbyists operate.
im sure there are plenty of reasons especially when it comes to pockets being lined. but if there is no real benefit to american citizens, then we shouldnt give the money. everyone who gets money from the government has lobbyists protecting that money stream. but that isnt really justifiable.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
my company is evaluating energy costs at the top 10% of our facilities. it will look into ways to reduce costs based on the activities at those top 10%, and then after it implements them there (biggest bang for the buck), it will develop a program to implement them company wide.

Trying to do everything at once is how nothing gets done. Prioritization and organization is what makes a good leader. Captain just likes to criticize the concept you proposed, because he thinks every dollar spent on everything should just be cut.
i like to criticize the concept because philip hates israel so he conveniently chooses to cut off israel's aid while there are other countries that could easily be grouped with israel and cut also. im not suggesting you do everything at once, but im suggesting you can do more than one thing at a time and you can definitely do things together when they are in similar groups. but philip hates israel and so he very quickly offers to cut israel's aid.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I'm not an expert on the matter so help me out.

Does it make sense that the U.S sends 100's of millions of dollars in aid to foreign countries when our own economy is F'd up? Why isnt this money being spent to help out our own economy rather than others?

I read the US withheld $800mil in aid to Pakistan after the whole Bin Laden debacle. What did they do with this money instead and why isnt it being pumped back into our economy?

Today the US sent $100mil in aid to Africa to help with the drought and famine crisis.

Everytime there's a crisis somewhere in the world, the U.S sends millions upon millions in aid while there are clearly people here in this country who are still starving, homeless, and in need of aid, all the while our entire economy is collapsing.

Can someone give me any insight on this?
When are people going to get over the fact that foreign aid is an absolutely miniscule part of the federal budget????

What about 2009? In that fiscal year, according to the U.S. Agency for International Development, the United States spent $44.9 billion, while overall government spending was $3.52 trillion. Foreign aid spending was 1.28 percent of the total budget.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-percent-us-b/

And no, the wars are not included in the foreign aid budget.

As for the homeless....most of them were homeless long before the recession hit. I saw them at work when times were good, and I still see some of the same people now, many years later. Most homeless people have serious emotional problems that started in childhood as a result of abuse in the home (drugs, physical, & sexual). It's not a problem easily solved with money.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
When are people going to get over the fact that foreign aid is an absolutely miniscule part of the federal budget????
great, so it shouldnt be a big deal to eliminate something that is a miniscule part of the budget.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
great, so it shouldnt be a big deal to eliminate something that is a miniscule part of the budget.
Would you differentiate between kinds of foreign aid--say, aid to starving countries as opposed to aid for purely political reasons?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Would you differentiate between kinds of foreign aid--say, aid to starving countries as opposed to aid for purely political reasons?
yes, i believe i did already in this thread. aid simply for humanitarian reasons with no benefit to us is bad. aid for political reasons where the benefits may outweigh the costs can be a good idea.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, i believe i did already in this thread. aid simply for humanitarian reasons with no benefit to us is bad. aid for political reasons where the benefits may outweigh the costs can be a good idea.
That's a fascinating take on the concept of "aid", which is supposed to benefit the recipient, not the donor.

Maybe, instead of using a euphemism, we should call our altruism "Foreign Grab Program", or "Foreign Shake-down Program" or "Foreign Protection Racket Program" in order to remove all doubt about its magnanimous intent. After all, they have so much and we have so little, we do have a God-given entitlement to get everything we can from them. If a country refuses to accept out "aid" which benefits us and not them, should we continue our policy of invading them with military superiority to force them to accept our "aid"?

When somebody says "Can you help me with this?", do you roll up your sleeves and see now many ways you can turn this wonderful opportunity to your distinct advantage and profit somehow from it? And refuse to help if you can't think of a way to come out ahead n the deal?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-15-2011 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics