Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

Obama renews call for more stimulus - Washington Times

Didn't we learn anything from our credit downgrade? Stimulus is the wrong direction to go at this time no matter what is happening in the economy. What happens if there is another stimulus, our deficits increase again and S&P may downgrade our rating another notch! This means even higher interest payments which increases the deficit again..a vicious cycle. Are our leaders in the right mind? It seems to me that the Obama-Bernanke just wants to throw loads of money at the problem and are praying something sticks. Is this the way to solve our problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
The S&P downgrade has no affect on our credit. Did you watch the bond market?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Well, the first stimulus didn't do any good so shouldn't we try it again?

(Liberal logic.)

Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I need stimulus. Write me a check Obama.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Well, the first stimulus didn't do any good so shouldn't we try it again?

(Liberal logic.)

Bush's Stimulus package was a failure, I agree. We need a stimulus package that cuts taxes... not pumps green paper into the economy.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Bush's Stimulus package was a failure, I agree. We need a stimulus package that cuts taxes... not pumps green paper into the economy.
the original stimulas was seen as being incorrect from the start. not enough infrastructure spending, and not enough tax cuts. and some misguided tax cuts. many economists believed the stimulus should have been larger, and that was before knowing what we know now...that the initial recession was worse than we thought.

i would only support a new stimulus that had proper tax incentives and proper spending (infrastructure). then, we'd be spending money on things that we need to in the near future anyways, just moving up the time we spend it. i'd have to take a look at the pieces of the original one again. it wasn't a failure, it just didn't do enough. and you really can't argue (at least not well) that "at least it's not worse". but the reality is, it would be worse without that first stimulus.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
There is no way congress is again going to give Obama more stimulus to spend as he sees fit. that is what happened to that promised infrastrcuture and job creating stimulus passed last time.At least Bush's; altho minor in comparison as to amount; got to main street. One would think that Obama would at least introdcue a budget ;hopefully one that congress can take seriosuly this time;and quite the rethoric dream speeches that sound so 1960ish.I mean when you budget is rejected by the senate you party controls by getting zero votes 'you';d think he would wake up.

Last edited by texdav; 08-10-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It seems to me that the Obama-Bernanke just wants to throw loads of money at the problem and are praying something sticks. Is this the way to solve our problems?
Bernake has nothing to do with fiscal policy. He deals with monetary policy. He may fire up the money printers again, but that doesn't put us any deaper into debt. (Inflation is another debate, but that doesn't seem to be a risk in the immediate future, for now.)

The spending cuts need to come from medium to long-term expenses. We should do whatever we can to avoid sliding back into a recession in the short term and extending the payroll tax cut helps. Extending unemployment benefits - though controversial - stimulates demand for goods and services, at the very least. I agree with bradykp in that spending should be on infrastructure projects - things that put people to work in the short term and facilitate commerce in the long term. We should at least have something to show for the money. Taking a machete to government spending right now would be a real disaster for the economy - not in 10 years, but this year. That's what the Tea Party doesn't understand.

S&P can label it whatever they want, U.S. Treasuries are still the safest investment available anywhere. Where else is China going to keep its money?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Bernake has nothing to do with fiscal policy. He deals with monetary policy. He may fire up the money printers again, but that doesn't put us any deaper into debt. (Inflation is another debate, but that doesn't seem to be a risk in the immediate future, for now.)

The spending cuts need to come from medium to long-term expenses. We should do whatever we can to avoid sliding back into a recession in the short term and extending the payroll tax cut helps. Extending unemployment benefits - though controversial - stimulates demand for goods and services, at the very least. I agree with bradykp in that spending should be on infrastructure projects - things that put people to work in the short term and facilitate commerce in the long term. We should at least have something to show for the money. Taking a machete to government spending right now would be a real disaster for the economy - not in 10 years, but this year. That's what the Tea Party doesn't understand.

S&P can label it whatever they want, U.S. Treasuries are still the safest investment available anywhere. Where else is China going to keep its money?
well said. but with the payroll tax cut, i don't like it because it's the 2% from SS taxes right? so, we're not just cutting a tax, we're also further endangering social security. i get why they want to do it, but i just am not sure i agree with it.

i agree about U.S. Treasuries. people will park their money there. S&P can shove it up their...

Old 08-10-2011, 03:35 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Obama renews call for more stimulus - Washington Times

Didn't we learn anything from our credit downgrade? Stimulus is the wrong direction to go at this time no matter what is happening in the economy. What happens if there is another stimulus, our deficits increase again and S&P may downgrade our rating another notch! This means even higher interest payments which increases the deficit again..a vicious cycle. Are our leaders in the right mind? It seems to me that the Obama-Bernanke just wants to throw loads of money at the problem and are praying something sticks. Is this the way to solve our problems?
k374,

Indeed, almost no one learns. I could say it a hundred times but "debt is the money". Money must always increase in a system of credit plus interest, therefore someone or something must go into more debt. So if you want to do something about it, take out a loan. Seems as though a lot of people don't want to though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics