Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yes, it would create jobs. The question is at what expense. We can't afford roads, the military, public safety and the other "essentials" the GOP likes to spend money on as is. If the GOP solution continues to be borrow money without a care in the world... I don't know. The damage might out weight the cost. If, however, they are willing to cut military spending in half, get rid of homeland security, stop all foreign aid, eliminate all corporate welfare and tax shelters.... Yes, it would create jobs. I wouldn't want to be in the lower half of the income bracket in a land with no social welfare system. Then again, I'm not in the lower half so it wouldn't be too bad aside from the crime wave that would follow.
slashing the military in half would cut jobs. getting rid of the Department of Homeland security would cut jobs. Stopping foreign aid...maybe some impact on jobs, but mostly just an impact on diplomacy. Eliminating corporate welfare and tax shelters would reduce the size of companies' tax departments, but i'm on board with this one!

so...where does this create jobs?

ohhhh...maybe the crime wave..we'd have to hire more police, except if you live in Camden where they just cut the force in half in response to more crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Look, this country is mired in debt. Debt on leverage. Until they allow the market to cleanse itself of debt, to deleverage, we're not going to come out of this. Of course it is virtually impossible for any politician or party to allow this (career-ending). So they kick the can down the road a bit, then when no one is looking, it will happen anyway. Can't be stopped.

That is when Malloric's scenario plays out...rioting, looting, criminal activity across the countryside. Hard to wrap our minds around the fact that many people in this country, in many countries, have never worked a day in their lives. They have always lived on government largess. That is in the process of coming to an end. That can't be stopped, either.

So, while tax breaks would appeal to me and to many other working folk, they would not turn this economy around. Wrong treatment. That's like giving insulin to someone with bronchitis...good try, wrong medicine. What needs to be addressed is the debt, the monetary system. That is what will take the food stamps out of the hands of the hungry. That is what will make things ugly for a few months until everyone figures out that the future is not the past.

IMHO.
interesting points. though, i don't really think there are all that many people who have never worked a day in their lives. i do see people make the claim occasionally, but i've never met anyone where that's true. the closest thing i can think of is a person i know that's on disability for quite a long time. but even he worked for over a decade, and does odd jobs here and there now when he can.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
slashing the military in half would cut jobs. getting rid of the Department of Homeland security would cut jobs.
government jobs cost more than welfare. so losing them would be a net gain.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Where are the democrats when you finally need one? What happened to putting money in the hands of labor? I often have no use for them in good times, but Obama is a republican, and at the worst possible moment. The one running against him is also going to be a republican I think.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:14 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
No, this wouldn't do much to create jobs it would just further concentrate the nations wealth in the hands of the top 5% or so.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
slashing the military in half would cut jobs. getting rid of the Department of Homeland security would cut jobs. Stopping foreign aid...maybe some impact on jobs, but mostly just an impact on diplomacy. Eliminating corporate welfare and tax shelters would reduce the size of companies' tax departments, but i'm on board with this one!

so...where does this create jobs?

ohhhh...maybe the crime wave..we'd have to hire more police, except if you live in Camden where they just cut the force in half in response to more crime.
Defense spending per job is abysmally low. $680,000,000,000 is a lot of money. The jobs would come from cutting taxes, not from cutting spending. Cut taxes and you should cut spending. If one were actually considering jobs, then you could take $100,000,000,000 of that and create some jobs with it. At $50,000 per "job" you could "employ" 2,000,000 people. That would have a net effect of increasing jobs while saving $240 billion. I've just created a net of over half a million jobs and cut spending by $240 billion a year without really trying.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Lets say in 2012 Rick Perry wins and the first thing he does is cut the capital gains, estate tax to 0%, eliminate the corporate tax, and cuts the top marginal tax bracket to 15% will it unleash the economic engine of the private sector that will rain down prosperity for all? Will it create a massive flood of private sector jobs that will significantly reduce unemployment?
That's not going to happen so it's really neither here nor there, but I wonder what would happen if the United States adopted corporate tax policy that effectively made us into an international tax haven. I'm sure someone will respond that "but we ARE a tax haven and you're stupid for implying that net revenues would be increased by creating an incentive for domestic companies to quit hiding funds offshore and attract international business to direct their taxable income into our borders" but it should be obvious that taxes for businesses are too high just by looking at the nominal tax rates, the amount of effort and hours put into lobbying for relief and that an entire business sector has grown around tax avoidance. I think that if we compete for tax dollars, we'll improve our situation, although given our government's history it seems more likely that an influx of cash will merely mean an orgy of bad decisions, waste and naked financing of corruption.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
This country has a $50-$60 billion per month trade deficit. $20 billion or so of that is from oil, so $30-$40 billion a month is leaving this country paying other people in other countries (China is $20 billion a month alone).

Fix that, and you fix the job situation.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yes, it would create jobs. ..;.We can't afford roads, the military, public safety and the other "essentials" the GOP likes to spend money on as is. ...I wouldn't want to be in the lower half of the income bracket in a land with no social welfare system. ...it wouldn't be too bad aside from the crime wave that would follow.
Get your guns ready. BTW: we got an Obama road last yr (8" of saudi oil asphalt over a perfectly good country road; marked with Chinese manufactured road paint (made from US imported logs)). We had to pay a premium or the asphalt AND the paint as Obama-nomics (i.e. = disaster / spend-aholic) had over purchased these supplies in their spending fury. (for no value / stimulus into the hands of the US consumer.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Look, this country is mired in debt. Debt on leverage. Until they allow the market to cleanse itself of debt, to deleverage, we're not going to come out of this. ...
Yip, gotta let this get worked out WITHOUT gov intervention. (lights out for USA)

Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Lets say in 2012 Rick Perry wins and the first thing he does is cut the capital gains, estate tax to 0%, eliminate the corporate tax, and cuts the top marginal tax bracket to 15% will it unleash the economic engine of the private sector that will rain down prosperity for all? Will it create a massive flood of private sector jobs that will significantly reduce unemployment?
NO, Trickle down doesn't. The parasites now are not the rich of old who actually cared about America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics