Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:46 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,622,584 times

Advertisements

Ok, so oil has been pretty steady for the last month or more around $85 per barrel, even dipping as low as $80 for a while. Gas prices in my area came down to around $3.75 per gallon back when oil was at $90 or so and have stayed there ever since. Until about a week and a half ago- they begain rising a few cents every few days- now up 10 to even 15 cents per gallon- some stations are even back up to $3.95 again. Have any of you seen this kind of a rise lately? And if so, what is the reason? Oil hasn't gone up, and the hurricane didn't damage any refineries as we were told might happen. Is this steep rise all just because of the upcoming Labor Day travel holiday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Probably. Prices shot up 20 cents in my area in the past few days. The market will fluctuate wildly with any bit of unpleasant global news, or even no news at all.

It doesn't really bother me though. I still think that gas is pretty cheap. For $3.67 (price when I last bought), I can travel 25 miles. That's a lot cheaper than a taxi, a lot more convenient than a bus, and lot less than a pair of running shoes and a few bottles of Gatorade.

(And yes, I'm aware there are other costs to owning a car.)

Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Probably. Prices shot up 20 cents in my area in the past few days. The market will fluctuate wildly with any bit of unpleasant global news, or even no news at all.

It doesn't really bother me though. I still think that gas is pretty cheap. For $3.67 (price when I last bought), I can travel 25 miles. That's a lot cheaper than a taxi, a lot more convenient than a bus, and lot less than a pair of running shoes and a few bottles of Gatorade.

(And yes, I'm aware there are other costs to owning a car.)
Something is fishy about all of this- obviously prices aren't going up due to any actual higher expenses for the stations/distributors. We have a Fred Meyer store that has actually dropped in price over these last couple of weeks- down to $3.58 per gallon (down from $3.64). It's interesting they can be that low but yet one or two other gas stations just down the street can rise to $3.79 or $3.85.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM

I've heard that gas stations set their prices based on the price of the last load of oil delivered (among other things).

Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
Retail prices (of almost everything) are set to maximize sales/profits for the outlet. With complete choice of what you purchase or not, what do so many feel they can set retail prices for this product based upon raw material prices?

Do you know what is a fair price for bread, copper wire, automobiles?

The vast majority of gas stations are small businesses just competing for your business.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Something is fishy about all of this- obviously prices aren't going up due to any actual higher expenses for the stations/distributors. We have a Fred Meyer store that has actually dropped in price over these last couple of weeks- down to $3.58 per gallon (down from $3.64). It's interesting they can be that low but yet one or two other gas stations just down the street can rise to $3.79 or $3.85.
They set it based on what they have in tanks and the repalcement cost when they sell it to you. that si why you see fewer and fewer gas statio only now days. I forget but at the profits a freind made per gallon it shocked me now many gallons he had to sell to break even on a 10 dollar drive off some years ago.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
They set it based on what they have in tanks and the repalcement cost when they sell it to you. that si why you see fewer and fewer gas statio only now days. I forget but at the profits a freind made per gallon it shocked me now many gallons he had to sell to break even on a 10 dollar drive off some years ago.
That all makes sense. However in this case I just don't get it-- oil prices were the same for weeks and weeks to what they are now, so where is the sudden spike in actual gas prices at the pump coming from? I mean, 20 cents in just a week or so with crude not going up at all? That is odd to me- do prices spike just before Labor Day as they do at Memorial Day because of it being a heavy driving season?

I just got home from work, and all the stations around me went up again today- one station near where I work is back up to $3.97 again. That is the same price it was when oil was at $100 per barrel!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Your gas is heavily subsidized by the people who buy other items at the convenience store. There is no gas retailer in the country that could stay in business if all they sold was gas.. They make their profit on beef jerky and fountain drinks. That big 96-oz Slurpy costs them about 4 cents to dispense, and they charge more per gallon for that than for unleaded..

Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I've heard that gas stations set their prices based on the price of the last load of oil delivered (among other things).
Meant to say "last load of gas delivered."

Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Ok, so oil has been pretty steady for the last month or more around $85 per barrel, even dipping as low as $80 for a while. Gas prices in my area came down to around $3.75 per gallon back when oil was at $90 or so and have stayed there ever since. Until about a week and a half ago- they begain rising a few cents every few days- now up 10 to even 15 cents per gallon- some stations are even back up to $3.95 again. Have any of you seen this kind of a rise lately? And if so, what is the reason? Oil hasn't gone up, and the hurricane didn't damage any refineries as we were told might happen. Is this steep rise all just because of the upcoming Labor Day travel holiday?
Solution to high gas prices: Use less gas. Ditch the SUVs. Put air in the tires. Stop slamming on the brakes and then taking off like a jackrabbit. Drive the speed limit on the highway, preferably on cruise control. Take junk out of the trunk.

If everyone would just do the basic things they know they should do, gas consumption would drop by at least 5% overnight and prices would drop...and even if they didn't, high gas prices would become less important as sane driving and ongoing conservation efforts became a way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics