Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
That's not half you idiot. That's 400 people. If you wanna talk statistics, then we are all at the bottom. The top 1% now have more money than the bottom 95 percent combined. They have doubled their shares in the last 40 years, and have made out like bandits in the last several off taxpayer bailouts.

Shifting Fortunes
It was a joke, relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
psssst note to 1208 -- watch the "we, they, you, I," etc. pronouns that folks use.

NJBest is indicating the perspective of being on the rich side of things -- so just smile and wave, and get the rope ready.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
psssst note to 1208 -- watch the "we, they, you, I," etc. pronouns that folks use.

NJBest is indicating the perspective of being on the rich side of things -- so just smile and wave, and get the rope ready.
I'm not rich if that's what you're implying. Not that I have to tell you, but I'm certainly nowhere near that top 400 in wealth!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

oh, it's ready. i'll grab my pitchfork when you say the word. I just noticed that article was from 1999...so imagine how much worse things are now

Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not rich if that's what you're implying. Not that I have to tell you, but I'm certainly nowhere near that top 400 in wealth!
Well, I will put the pitchfork back on "safe," for now, but I am watching.

But you are going to need to practice.

Denying that you are a Jew, or a Witch, or in this case "Reech," will not save you in most cases.

First you need to be ready to roll on someone.

Here is some practice -- "ME a Jew? (or rich, or a witch, or whatever). Hardly! But that Finklestein fellow Over There -- That Whole Family is Jews/Witches/Rich/whatever."

AND Then -- Role Identify with the lynch mob -- "You guys Hunting Jews/Rich/Witches? I hate THOSE M.F.ers, Too! I am going to get My Pitchfork."

See how it works?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
It was a joke, relax.
Sure. Sure.

We are all just joking.

Just joking.

Comrade.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
I guess some rich people are cocky, but most are normal people. If you're rich and your drive a lambo, good for you, but there's nothing wrong with that. I do however think you're an ass going around saying stuff like "do you know who i am?" unless you're face has been printed on currency.

daddiesgirl, saying that the [legitimate] rich steal from the poor is a little harsh and very inaccurate. Also, the vast majority of Wall Street bankers were not responsible for causing the financial crisis.
I know a lot of people that are considered 'rich.'

And almost NONE of them walk around like the **** of the block. They are really down-to-earth people who are sweet and giving and very involved in their communities.

But those people don't make headlines. And these days, if you don't have press, no one knows that you even exist. Where's the drama in "Most rich people working hard and serving their communities" when you can have the drama of Wall Street and the Hollywood rich = bad, poor = noble mentality run rampant?

Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
A lot of the people you think are rich are not as rich as you think. Many of them are "hurting" to. (Not hurting like a poor person, but hurting relative to where they were prior to the housing market crash).

Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
In bad economic times, there is more stress and people tend to blame others more. It is not just the rich are getting the blame and hatred - look at the Politics forum - there is a lot of looking down upon the poor also going on. It is just low-level class warfare during bad times practiced not by majority because the majority is too busy working. All this will pass once the economy improves.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,577 times
none of it will pass, it is a story as old as history itself, which keeps repeating itself over and over again, no one learning a thing from it.

also, the economy won't improve, at least not back to how it used to be. America doesn't actually make things anymore, we only buy them. We are in debt trillions to China, the stock market and financial system has been proven once and for all to be busted, and everyone but the richest continues to get poorer. Things might get better temporarily but no way will this system sustain itself for much longer. It's glory days are over and it has started the long slow roll toward the bottom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics