Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The problem you're having is that you want to turn taxation into a moral issue of some sort. I personally don't see very much that is moral or immoral about a taxation system (unless it starves or completely ruins a group). Tax systems exist to raise revenue to run a government. They aren't about wealth redistribution, robbery, or other such purposes.
Your so right. Right now the government is playing robin hood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
bobtn, if you are suggesting that it was the actions of unregulated Wall Street that caused the sub-prime mortgage crisis, I will have to disagree with you. It was the regulation of government that caused the crisis. Namely, the push by liberals --prominently Chris Dodd and Barney Frank -- to require banks to lend to sub-prime customers and the government regulation which insured mortgage backed securities by the government (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac).

"The government is not the solution to our problems, the government is the cause of our problems."
Yes deregulation was the beginning allowing subprimes (dangling the carrot with mortgages people could not afford) the other side is that the people who could not afford them or counted on raises (pay only interest first 5 years, then pay principle and interest), signed the dotted line. I know because first the banker said I could get x amount (I thought they were crazy) then said if you want more house, then offered the interst only loan. I did not do it.

My point is yes deregulation, WS playing on people's wants to make profit, then people signing the dotted line. It blew up on everyone which was bound to happen.

Yes, WS was Counting on home values going up, people using homes as a bank. Greed, poor decisions, wants at all income levels led to disaster and now blaming the rich.

People did not have to sign it

Ps, I'm not rich... It was greed that guidedawait gout caring what would happen and WS should be held accountable at some level ( currently seems no accountability)

I just didn't let that beautiful home I could not afford take over.

Last edited by eRayP; 03-05-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
I have to agree with that for the most part. If people put any effort towards doing what they wanted to do they could live a decent life. I'm tired of hearing how evil the rich are and how they steel from the poor. I can't hate on rich people for being successful. Even if they were evil and stole it, I can't waste my time complaining about them.

Though I'm not wealthy (yet), I know that whatever level of success I have is directly related to the choices I make everyday.

And someone asked about the percentage of self made millionaires vs those who inherited their wealth, I believe the number is around 80% according to the book "The millionaire next door". If all those people can make something out of themselves, so can I.

Positive reputation point here. I am and agree with above!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Right now the government is playing robin hood
It's not the government's job to play Robin Hood - -and take from the rich to give to the poor.
It don't' hate the wealthy I want to BE the wealthy.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
It's not the government's job to play Robin Hood - -and take from the rich to give to the poor.
Here, here, agree.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
The problem is the BANKS, Corrupt Government, Special interest Lobby groups, Corrupt Media. The problem isn't the so called 1 percent. It is the 99 percent that are still largely clueless to what is going on.

Who owns this country right now? Look at how much land the Government owns. Look where real money (assets) come from. Look at the national debt and our GDP.

The #1 issue in this country right now is Sovereignty.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You do know this progressive tax systems has been in place for a while right?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,305,303 times
All I have to say to all of you "Whoa is me, I'm in the 99 percent, boo hoo" types is this - quit worrying so damned much about what others have and quit blaming them for all your supposed problems and start DOING something about improving your own lot. A major part of the difference between the wealthy and the rest of us is that most of us are waaaay to busy worrying, blaming and pointing fingers and not nearly busy enough doing what it takes to get nearer the top. Try it, you'll be suprised how quickly turning your attention away from what others are doing and focusing on improving your own situation and correcting your own poor decisions will improve your station in life.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Lol treaurekidd, you should pay attention to what is being said in this thread. The OP asked "why" are people against the rich? The subject is "NOT"! Poor me..

And if you take the time to read and "comprehend" what is being said before posting you will also see that most are against the current Propaganda being put out there and attitude of blaming the rich AND for those who are buying into it, get this!, agree with you lol

You need reading 101 or Comprehension 101

Last edited by eRayP; 03-07-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
I use to be dirt poor and now I am making good money and launching ventures left and right. I had more "friends" when I had nothing than I do now. HOWEVER, the majority of those friends were always attacking others and always spent their time hating. As I am moving up the income ladder I left them behind and literally cut ties with all of the negative jerks and only keeping positive minded people around.

I have had discussions about this very topic with a good friend of mine and neither of us are able to understand why so many people hate when they are talking on their iPhone (not exactly cheap).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics