U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 14,043,505 times
Reputation: 5460

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I see a presentation of total nonsense.

What we are looking at with the Infomerrical Graphix is . . . the "Stimulus" flow through (and out of) the US economy.

Since we STILL have the same leaky boat -- with the money being bled out of US to imported Oil, China and the Transnational Corporations, the money barely barely bounced off the table twice before it was vacuumed away.

(btw, the Stimulus itself was not a bad thing -- probably did save US from fully going under -- just we never fixed the leaks that help cause the mess).

Now we are still in the same leaky boat. Still sinking. And absolutely all attempts at stopping the leaks -- e.g. Tariffs, Taking US OFF Oil, and Taxes on the Upper End and Transnational Corporations -- will be fought until the boat is so low that the rats start jumping ship.
Claiming the economy is in trouble long term and claiming we are in a recession are two different things.

We are NOT in a recession. Period. An economic recession is not a subjective phenomenon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 AM
 
3,457 posts, read 3,284,687 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You disagree with the definition of a recession? How do you define gravity? Does it pull up? Are stop signs blue to you as well?
LOL



that definition was made up by a bunch of economists at the NBER, it is not scientific theory (like gravity) nor is it codified into law as red stop signs are.

Are you a student in business school?

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 09-08-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 AM
 
28,900 posts, read 49,086,984 times
Reputation: 46320
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
A recession is not a subjective thing. A recession is not in place just because your neighbor is struggling. A recession is simply when GDP falls for two consecutive quarters.



As you can see, we pulled out of the recession in Q3 of 2010.
But that chart is a first class example of statistics failing to fully define the true economic problem. What it doesn't show is the hemorrhaging of household wealth due to the falling level of home prices, the levels of unsupportable debt, and the overall strains to the system. In that sense, relying strictly on growth rate as the determinant of economic health is not just simplistic--it's downright dangerous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Castle Hills
1,133 posts, read 2,419,291 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
LOL



that definition was made up by a bunch of economists at the NBER, it is not scientific theory (like gravity) nor is it codified into law as red stop signs are.

Are you a student in business school?
Oh Snap! Nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM
 
5,409 posts, read 10,329,247 times
Reputation: 4478
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
But that chart is a first class example of statistics failing to fully define the true economic problem. What it doesn't show is the hemorrhaging of household wealth due to the falling level of home prices, the levels of unsupportable debt, and the overall strains to the system. In that sense, relying strictly on growth rate as the determinant of economic health is not just simplistic--it's downright dangerous.
It is generally called placing a "positive spin" on things.

Sort of stems from the belief that belief systems matter most.

Which is also The Ethos of the Con Man and the Bullsheeter.

We have seen much of this all along this Great Recession / Depression / Panic -- or Big Blue Elephant or whatever other Acceptable Marketing Term [tm] is placed on the ongoing nonsense.

Sort of funny looking back -- the term Depression (which of course had no make-believe definition when it started), was chosen because the prior term -- "Panic" was considered too extreme.

After "The Great Depression," the Depression term had to be retired because any major downturn would reference back to that. We were permitted to use Recession, after that.

Now that the Great Recession has hit, it too must be argued away and minimized, lest anyone capable of a independent thought see the Emperor has no clothes.

How About just calling this The Great Banking/Globalony/Corporate/Looter/Bullsheeter Failure?

THAT seems to truly fit the condition without much argument?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 AM
 
362 posts, read 742,193 times
Reputation: 160
Hey, by definition, there's no inflation either... (though anyone with an ounce of functional brain power knows the true reality)

Why are you meanies picking on hnsq?

Everything is just peachy... ;p
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 12:08 PM
 
28,900 posts, read 49,086,984 times
Reputation: 46320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
It is generally called placing a "positive spin" on things.

Sort of stems from the belief that belief systems matter most.

Which is also The Ethos of the Con Man and the Bullsheeter.

We have seen much of this all along this Great Recession / Depression / Panic -- or Big Blue Elephant or whatever other Acceptable Marketing Term [tm] is placed on the ongoing nonsense.

Sort of funny looking back -- the term Depression (which of course had no make-believe definition when it started), was chosen because the prior term -- "Panic" was considered too extreme.

After "The Great Depression," the Depression term had to be retired because any major downturn would reference back to that. We were permitted to use Recession, after that.

Now that the Great Recession has hit, it too must be argued away and minimized, lest anyone capable of a independent thought see the Emperor has no clothes.

How About just calling this The Great Banking/Globalony/Corporate/Looter/Bullsheeter Failure?

THAT seems to truly fit the condition without much argument?
That would be fine if you added the FHA/Fannie Mae/Federal Reserve Shell Game to the name. Because the depression we are going through today was actually a rare example of public/private cooperation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
 
9,856 posts, read 14,043,505 times
Reputation: 5460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
LOL



that definition was made up by a bunch of economists at the NBER, it is not scientific theory (like gravity) nor is it codified into law as red stop signs are.

Are you a student in business school?
That is what a recession IS. Whether or not we are in a recession is not the sole indicator of the economic health of a nation. To me, I would have to wonder, are we in a recession? NO. Do we have a stable, economically viable future? Absolutely not.

Again - an economic recession cannot mean whatever the hell you want it to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
But that chart is a first class example of statistics failing to fully define the true economic problem. What it doesn't show is the hemorrhaging of household wealth due to the falling level of home prices, the levels of unsupportable debt, and the overall strains to the system. In that sense, relying strictly on growth rate as the determinant of economic health is not just simplistic--it's downright dangerous.
Whether or not we are in a recession is only a small piece of the overall economic health of a nation. We are not in a recession. That is not to say that all is well from an economic point of view.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 PM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,818,320 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
More and more our nation is heading towards a service economy.
Who is the economy going to service? China? The Rich? Production pays. Consumption doesn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 03:19 PM
 
3,457 posts, read 3,284,687 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
That is what a recession IS.
Quote:
Again - an economic recession cannot mean whatever the hell you want it to.
Yes it can. Who is going to stop me, the NBER?

Last edited by vter; 09-08-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top