U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 PM
 
362 posts, read 742,675 times
Reputation: 160

Advertisements

The NBER doesn't even define a recession via the 2 GDP bs method... but I digress.

All this semantic arguing babble is pointless -- To borrow a term from the street, the recession is straight gudda.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
 
2,282 posts, read 3,549,987 times
Reputation: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
The NBER doesn't even define a recession via the 2 GDP bs method... but I digress.
Yes, I believe NBER's definition is much more generalized. Your street definition is dead on though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM
 
28,900 posts, read 49,092,000 times
Reputation: 46320
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Whether or not we are in a recession is only a small piece of the overall economic health of a nation. We are not in a recession. That is not to say that all is well from an economic point of view.
Hence my point that we are in a depression. A completely different animal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 01:48 AM
 
2,409 posts, read 2,786,737 times
Reputation: 2031
Another recession? LMAO! We are heading right for one of the worst deflationary depressions the world has ever seen. We didn't catch an economic cold people.........we have STAGE IV economic cancer. Our economy is on life support and that life support is about to run out of power. There is NOTHING the government can do. The rich won't pony up the capital to create jobs and fund innovation, technology, and American workers. So where does that leave us? Our politicians have sold us out to the same people i.e. the bankers, corporatists, Wallstreet hacks that have been stealing our money and using it to make more money.............>>AND GUESS WHAT??????? It's all DEBT AND CREDIT in the form of worthless paper and computer entries! There has been hardly any REAL wealth created in the last 20-30 years in America. There has been so much capital flight OUT of this country it's scary. But the American public is too stupid and too busy playing with their Ipods and Tweeting about football and Dancing with the Stars to care or even notice. The silent majority has become the stupid and ignorant majority. And the icing on the cake is we keep voting the same two party retards into office. Bush, Obama, Clinton, they are ALL THE SAME! We had 8 years of a borderline lifetime screw up Governor from Texas........and we are about to elect another one? Or we will have another 4 years of a lame duck community organizer who would rather party like a rockstar with his baboon wife than get down to business and take his job seriously.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM
 
5,409 posts, read 10,330,114 times
Reputation: 4478
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Another recession? LMAO! We are heading right for one of the worst deflationary depressions the world has ever seen. We didn't catch an economic cold people.........we have STAGE IV economic cancer. Our economy is on life support and that life support is about to run out of power. There is NOTHING the government can do. The rich won't pony up the capital to create jobs and fund innovation, technology, and American workers. So where does that leave us? Our politicians have sold us out to the same people i.e. the bankers, corporatists, Wallstreet hacks that have been stealing our money and using it to make more money.............>>AND GUESS WHAT??????? It's all DEBT AND CREDIT in the form of worthless paper and computer entries! There has been hardly any REAL wealth created in the last 20-30 years in America. There has been so much capital flight OUT of this country it's scary. But the American public is too stupid and too busy playing with their Ipods and Tweeting about football and Dancing with the Stars to care or even notice. The silent majority has become the stupid and ignorant majority. And the icing on the cake is we keep voting the same two party retards into office. Bush, Obama, Clinton, they are ALL THE SAME! We had 8 years of a borderline lifetime screw up Governor from Texas........and we are about to elect another one? Or we will have another 4 years of a lame duck community organizer who would rather party like a rockstar with his baboon wife than get down to business and take his job seriously.

omigod.

Too funny, too sad and too true to have all in one post.

Pretty much the most concise description of US I think I have seen on here.

Probably have said most of that one time or another -- well, maybe except the baboon wife part . . .

But put all together like that -- We Are SO Screwed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 PM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,818,779 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
There is NOTHING the government can do.
Well we can do a 4X on the minimum wage and print a bunch of money and just give it to everyone and we can start a national savings plan and we can tax the principle on debt. Nothing indeed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 06:40 PM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,818,779 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
But put all together like that -- We Are SO Screwed.
I am not afraid of a bit of inflation. I'll take that any day over deflation. It is really scary what could be coming our way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 PM
 
362 posts, read 742,675 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Well we can do a 4X on the minimum wage and print a bunch of money and just give it to everyone and we can start a national savings plan and we can tax the principle on debt. Nothing indeed.
Not sure if serious.???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Here
74 posts, read 548,477 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I am not afraid of a bit of inflation. I'll take that any day over deflation. It is really scary what could be coming our way.
Yes, inflation is just what we need. It worked for Germany in the late 1910s and early 1920s. Maybe we can all heat our homes with U.S. currency just as the Germans did with the marks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 PM
 
5,409 posts, read 10,330,114 times
Reputation: 4478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Not sure if serious.???
You would hope not, but the kid seems quite stuck on it.

We just have gotten to the point where we say -- umm, yeah, whatever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:28 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top