U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 AM

8,317 posts, read 27,047,586 times

Advertisements

These two articles appeared in the last day or so on MSN. (Read them here: Census: Recession taking toll on young adults: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money ; The real recession never ended - US economy - MSN Money ) At first blush, they might seem unrelated, but they aren't. Between the two articles, they hint at the real problem facing the American economy going forward. It's an ugly prospect that most Americans neither can understand nor want to understand.

Simply stated, it is this: In today's America, increasingly beset with both depleting cheap natural resources and declining available capital--the latter grossly aggravated by decades of misinvestment in non-productive and resource-guzzling suburbia, non-productive financial speculation, and wasteful consumption fueled by debt (both public and private)--we now have what amounts to a growing and likely semi-permanent shortage of available jobs. In other words, a surplus of labor with dimming prospects of employment. Meanwhile, we continue to grow that problem with waves of immigrants--many of them illegal.

The hard reality is that there are millions of Americans who likely will NEVER be able to find and hold meaningful employment. That is a socially explosive situation and it will likely lead to severe social unrest unlike what this country has ever seen in its history.

What can be done? Well, first, immigration should be stopped--period. Next, we must quit subsidizing speculative and non-productive investment and replace it with investment in productive and efficient enterprise. We must also embark on a rigorous regimen of natural resource conservation. Finally, we must ALL except the fact that digging ourselves out of the mess that we have created is going to require substantial material sacrifice from EVERYONE, increased personal responsibility, and a willingness to work together as communities to weather the hard times ahead. Anything less will lead this once great country to something not much better than Third World status in less than a generation. Unfortunately, none of the current crop of political "leaders"--and none of our current political gaggle has exhibited much of any real leadership in my opinion--are either able or willing to tell the American people the hard truth about our dangerous predicament, nor be willing to exhibit the kind of brave leadership that will be needed to inspire us to extricate ourselves from it. That is tragic--for all of us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM

8,616 posts, read 4,268,329 times
Absolutely agree---we must stop all legal and illegal immigration until we straighten out our economic and employment problems. For the farm-labor shortage, we can use able-bodied welfare recipients and non-violent prisoners. This will save us big $$$.

On the political front---Americans need to get real and realize that both parties are just as corrupt, dysfunctional, self-serving, and sold out. We will NOT see this change anytime soon, and need to stop depending on a corrupt government to solve our problems. Instead, we need to work on and clean up our own personal/economic responsibilities and focus our energies locally on our communities---supporting local businesses, charities, education and trying to elect local politicians that actually serve us, the people.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,624,776 times
What the problems are, and what needs to be done to correct them are apparent to anyone who does minimal research on the situation we face.
The problem is not that solutions are not apparent; the problem is that certain powerful groups of people are benefactors of the status quo.
So long as the people who are benefiting from over population and over use of resources are in power, the status quo will continue... at least until a catastrophe in the form of complete deletion of resources or worldwide war changes the dynamics.
You see the real problem we face is the ignorance of the people. That ignorance is not only a lack of knowledge of our situation and its causes, but of whom the power really resides with.
People need to come to the realization that the people are the power. That even in a complete dictatorship, the power still resides with the people, they are just afraid to exercise it.
The Constitution and the Bill of Rights do not give rights to anyone; they simply recognize the rights every human was born with. Government was never meant to be our master, it is meant to be our servant.
We must re gain control of government and make it bow to the needs of the people and not be a tool for the wealthy to use in order to exploit the masses.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 PM

81 posts, read 104,968 times
The most positive thing about our current situation is that it is easily correctable. In fact once the economic issues are addressed that I mention, I expect our nation to have one of its greatest booms ever. Trend growth remains around 3%. In the last ten years of subpar growth, I believe we've simply delayed growth through disasterour policies rather than eliminate it.

Our major issue is that almost no nation that ever reaches a 5% trade deficit escapes a financial crisis. The U.S. surpassed 5% in the oil runup and has only marginally backed off of that figure. The current global model is for Asian nations to produce goods for export to Europe & America and they maintain this advantage by foreign exchange intervention.

Secondary issues include inefficient corporate and individual tax structures. The corporate tax rate needs to be lowered and applied evenly across the board. No more 2% tax rates for firms such as GE that lobby heavily and have great political influence.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:22 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,624,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz99clem View Post
The most positive thing about our current situation is that it is easily correctable. In fact once the economic issues are addressed that I mention, I expect our nation to have one of its greatest booms ever. Trend growth remains around 3%. In the last ten years of subpar growth, I believe we've simply delayed growth through disasterour policies rather than eliminate it.

Our major issue is that almost no nation that ever reaches a 5% trade deficit escapes a financial crisis. The U.S. surpassed 5% in the oil runup and has only marginally backed off of that figure. The current global model is for Asian nations to produce goods for export to Europe & America and they maintain this advantage by foreign exchange intervention.

Secondary issues include inefficient corporate and individual tax structures. The corporate tax rate needs to be lowered and applied evenly across the board. No more 2% tax rates for firms such as GE that lobby heavily and have great political influence.
Easily correctable? I hope you are joking. We are in deep trouble. The problems with our economy are fundamental and not a temporary correction.
The fundamental problems have been decades in the making, and are now systemic in every aspect of our country from our children in school, to our elderly depending on governmental entitlement.
We have run a ponzie scheme of an economy based on borrowed money for 20 years.
During that same 20 years we have dissembled and exported a very large portion of our manufacturing which was the foundation of our jobs base.
There is nothing to replace that jobs base.
You cannot rebuild an economy and pay down debt without a solid jobs base. People have to have jobs that are based on a real economic model, and we have not had that since the 1990's.
We cannot go back to inflating bubbles and borrowing money to artificially juice the economy, we have to have real jobs that involve creating real products.
Do you see that happening? Do you even see a plan on the table to make that happen? No all you see is an economy addicted to government stimulus and now apparently susceptible to recession every time it is denied as we have just seen this week. Add to that the certainty of recession in Europe, and the very real chance of bubble implosion in China, and the outlook is anything but encouraging.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:33 PM

17,036 posts, read 22,315,717 times
This is one of the more ominous threads I've run into in some time on City Data. And also a thread everyone should read. Regarding the upcoming generation, we have simply let them down big time. We have put them in such a hole that I don't see any way things can change here.

Regarding the social unrest that will result because of that generation not being able to find employment-any employment, I see no reason that it won't happen here-soon. Will we have another Greece situation on our hands? Yea, we will. I'd like to think otherwise, I really would. In a September 17th article CNN had New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg stated " The jobs crisis could spark riots here." During the last couple days there have been very sizable demonstrations in front of some New York City banks, I believe close to 80 people were arrested at one of those demonstrations (I'm thinking Bank of America to being one of them.)

Old 09-25-2011, 06:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,046,065 times
I just found this thread, very similar to the one I recently started: The Lost Generation. Since they are on the same subject, I wonder if they can be combined (?)

Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,818,320 times
We have structural problems with the economy. They need to be addressed if they aren't we will see more of the same for the indefinite future.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM

17,036 posts, read 22,315,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
In a September 17th article CNN had New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg stated " The jobs crisis could spark riots here." During the last couple days there have been very sizable demonstrations in front of some New York City banks, I believe close to 80 people were arrested at one of those demonstrations (I'm thinking Bank of America to being one of them.)
I was just watching NBC Nightly News a few minutes ago and not only has the protests stayed strong over the weekend in New York City but the numbers have increased. According to the report nearly two hundred people were arrested today in a variety of locations from the major banks to the New York Stock Exchange.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,046,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I was just watching NBC Nightly News a few minutes ago and not only has the protests stayed strong over the weekend in New York City but the numbers have increased. According to the report nearly two hundred people were arrested today in a variety of locations from the major banks to the New York Stock Exchange.
This is discomforting news. First I've heard of it in the mainstream media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics