U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,217,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Not saying it like a prediction or anything, but I can reasonable foresee a rise in "alternate" income careers like moonshining was held up a merited act a few posts above.

I suppose drug-running/trading is the modern equivalent of moonshine?

Maybe piracy of various import shipments? Sort of a home-grown tariff, there.

Alternate and Counterfeit Currencies? Paper = paper, after all.
We're quite a way from that. I still see plenty of 14 year old kids with iPhones and trendy sneakers. When they're wearing two year old shoes and sharing a land line with their other siblings because the family can only afford a cell plan for the working adults, then we'll see more of this.

So far, I would not call us (I'm 21; a senior) totally lost at this point. From the perspective of a gent on the ground, as it were, I would call this the "listless generation." At the top, I am seeing the wealthy and well-connected students breeze into lucrative internships and careers far ahead of vastly more qualified students. Below them, there's a great deal of freelance work, dead end careers, "high school" jobs (waitressing), and even a few real careers.

This has been the case since I entered in 2008. Now I can hear the bell tolling for me, but fortunately I have no debt. Summer of freshmen year was pointless. Summer of sophomore year I was rejected. The Summer of junior year was spent caring for my dying mother. So I have never held a job worth mentioning. Hopefully all of that on-campus volunteering is worth the "it looks good on your resume" that it's touted as, since I have quite a bit of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,192,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There's no promise of jobs. The student loan contract neither promises nor guarantees jobs, and neither do universities.
This.

When I was filling out college applications and student loan paperwork not once did I come across anything guaranteeing me a job.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
Don't kid yourself. These colleges and high school teachers sell the college degree as the road to riches. They talk about how you can go to college and get 50k/year straight out of college.
The message I got was that there were a lot more opportunities out there with a college degree, which is fairly accurate and seems like a reasonable thing to "sell" to young men and women.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
They earn a pittance. I know, as my daughter taught English for a year in Korea and was really taken advantage of
Ah, so your anecdotal experience should be applied to all English teachers in Asia?

There are English teachers who fairly good money overseas, and there are others who don't. I know people who've taught English in China for years, they keep taking on new contracts on both University level and for private schools. You might call their pay a pittance but they often get a place to live included and manage to save enough money to take months off at a time to travel.

Its a huge range of situations, that is why your claim is so amusingly naive. Someone without a college degree teaching on the downlow in Thailand is very different from someone with a degree and ESL certs teaching at a college in Japan.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There's many good reasons for many single moms being single moms, but those who like to stereotype people do not want to hear them.
This isn't really accurate, you took an obvious outlier and tried to use it as a typical representative case to bolster an argument. When they called you on your faulty reasoning now you're doing this "don't want to hear them" thing.

The overwhelming majority of single mothers are that way because of poor choices, and you know it.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:25 AM

3,398 posts, read 4,591,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
We're quite a way from that. I still see plenty of 14 year old kids with iPhones and trendy sneakers. When they're wearing two year old shoes and sharing a land line with their other siblings because the family can only afford a cell plan for the working adults, then we'll see more of this.

So far, I would not call us (I'm 21; a senior) totally lost at this point. From the perspective of a gent on the ground, as it were, I would call this the "listless generation." At the top, I am seeing the wealthy and well-connected students breeze into lucrative internships and careers far ahead of vastly more qualified students. Below them, there's a great deal of freelance work, dead end careers, "high school" jobs (waitressing), and even a few real careers.

This has been the case since I entered in 2008. Now I can hear the bell tolling for me, but fortunately I have no debt. Summer of freshmen year was pointless. Summer of sophomore year I was rejected. The Summer of junior year was spent caring for my dying mother. So I have never held a job worth mentioning. Hopefully all of that on-campus volunteering is worth the "it looks good on your resume" that it's touted as, since I have quite a bit of it.
You seem like a good kid. I hope things work out for you.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:33 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,549,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
...is dead and gone. They preceded the GI Generation.

You would think the college educated journalist staff at CBS could come up with something more original.

There's no promise of jobs. The student loan contract neither promises nor guarantees jobs, and neither do universities.

I wouldn't consider $12,000 to be a "big" student loan. I mean tuition at more than 100 major universities is $3,000 or less, so how could someone possibly rack up $80,000 in student loans for $12,000 worth of education?

I don't feel sorry for them at all. There's a whole wide world out there. They can use their high school and college foreign language training to get a job in another country and pay off their car and clothes and Starsux Lattes and beer, which is what they used their "student loans" for.
This post is pure garbage. Go to a good college, that isn't necessarily near you, and tell me how much that will cost. Posts like this are all about frugality and making the most financially frugal choice. Guess what, most kids were told that they need to get into the best programs, not cheap-as-s**t Podunk College that's right next door to mommy and daddy's basement.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
This.

When I was filling out college applications and student loan paperwork not once did I come across anything guaranteeing me a job.
You are so very naive and/or ignorant. It's ALL in the advertising. "Go to college, enhance your future prospects". From parents, teachers, guidance counselors, college recruiters, etc., that's all this generation was fed from the get-go.

Sure you can talk big now that you're 50+ years old and have nearly a quarter of a century of life experience over the current college population. Obviously, you just don't get the pile of **** this generation was spoon-fed their entire lives, nor will you ever. Just because you can't wrap your mind around it, don't blame these kids.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Stephen Henderson: Will any candidate rescue the millennials? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110923/COL33/109230331/Stephen-Henderson-Will-any-candidate-rescue-the-millennials-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s - broken link)

I believe the millennials will get their turn very soon. Things are slowly changing in this country. The hard core conservos who had such a strong grasp on this country for decades are dying off (literally and figuratively). As a former die-hard conservo myself, I can attest to this. And believe it or not, I HAVE a good job and I have a good quality education.

The political landscape in this country will surely reflect this change in a (short) matter of time.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
You are so very naive and/or ignorant. It's ALL in the advertising. "Go to college, enhance your future prospects". From parents, teachers, guidance counselors, college recruiters, etc., that's all this generation was fed from the get-go.
Going to college does indeed enhance your future prospects. Whether the costs are worth it is another debate.

Quote:
Sure you can talk big now that you're 50+ years old and have nearly a quarter of a century of life experience over the current college population.
I'm not anywhere near 50 years old, and I'm not sure how stating the truth (having a college degree opens more opportunities) and never seeing an application promising a job is "talking big."

Quote:
Obviously, you just don't get the pile of **** this generation was spoon-fed their entire lives, nor will you ever. Just because you can't wrap your mind around it, don't blame these kids.
I haven't blamed anyone, you are spending a lot of time bitterly raging over things that haven't even been said. I know you posted for some time about being stuck in a crappy job and are underpaid (waa waa I had good grades) but don't take your personal failures and frustrations out on posts that don't even exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics