U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,219,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
What was this thread about again? I forget.
I believe it was about "lost generation" young adults coming of age during current recession, at least before Zwhatever came in with insults and personal attacks upending it.

Perhaps we can continue and he can address the arguments presented instead of displaying his hostility issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 AM

3,398 posts, read 4,609,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
She's generally sore because I don't accept her always bullet points from her resume as an automatic trump card in any disagreement.

It's actually kind of amusing she's exhibiting some telling personality traits here showing up to post in a dispute between two others with wild unfounded accusations and insults.
Same old stuff you mean?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 AM

3,398 posts, read 4,609,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I believe it was about "lost generation" young adults coming of age during current recession, at least before Zwhatever came in with insults and personal attacks upending it.

Perhaps we can continue and he can address the arguments presented instead of displaying his hostility issues.
Not when his problems and failures are all our fault.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 AM

5,730 posts, read 9,141,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Let me begin by saying that I admire your service to our country. I appreciate your contribution as a serviceman.
Just repaying the debt to those who went before.

Quote:
Now, you're right. You don't need to pay a lot of money for tuition.
Thank you. That was my entire point. (Which you initially disagreed with till I cut and pasted some numbers)

Quote:
There are frugal options out there.
Yes, there are.

Quote:
But I chose to go to a very good school in the Midwest and that came with a higher price tag than, let's say, any school in the South US.
YOU CHOSE. See the point? This is a 'very good school' just cheaper and COL is more inexpensive.

Quote:
Fact is, the COL is much lower in that region as you pointed out.
Yes, as I pointed out. That's why I moved here. (Adults make decisions like that)

Quote:
Also, my overall figures included living expenses & college tuition on a young college student's salary.
Mine didn't, as I was SPECIFICALLY addressing your twice as expensive tuition numbers, but more on that in a second.

Quote:
You did not mention what your living expenses were.
Sorry, sometimes I forget how big this forum is. I do not do debt.
No credit cards, no car loans, nothing. my monthly expenses are less than my income, and in the first 7 months or so of this year I saved enough out of my monthly income to buy a 1995 Toyota 4 runner (125K miles, V6, 4x4)

Quote:
Here's the simple math again:
Student's est. net income: $10,000/yr
In-state Tuition and fees at a tier 1: $20,000/yr. (still a bargain these days, I guess)
Yep...there's where your math goes wrong as I have ALREADY addressed.

Quote:
Living expenses (housing/food): $10,000/yr.
Depends on how you want to live. I've rented a room (here) for $200, then got a one bedroom apt for $375, now I'm in a very nice 2 bedroom (Alone) for $500. I've lived much cheaper, but I can afford it, so I'm (Finally) relaxing a bit.

Quote:
$12,000 - $20,000 - $10,000 = -$18,000
Fuzzy math as has already been addressed.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:31 PM

27,502 posts, read 56,596,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
But that perspective is out of date and from another time.

That High Interest on the 1982 house payment was for not a Post Housing Collapse priced house -- which is still over-priced, and likely to continue to fall.

The military is maxing out now, and has been putting bars to re-enlistment on for a year.

I would suggest for broader perspectives for US, to consider Post Soviet Russia.
Most of my military connections are on the medical side... so far, they have all been encouraged to stay.

I did notice the local recruiting office has been shuttered for almost a year...

Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 PM

5,410 posts, read 10,353,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Most of my military connections are on the medical side... so far, they have all been encouraged to stay.

I did notice the local recruiting office has been shuttered for almost a year...
Yeah, they have mauled up enough kids that the med folks will stay busy for a while.

Meanwhile they are dumping the used up troops.

With a hearty and so V E R Y Sincere . . . Thank You For Your Service to Our Corporations . . . er, ah Country.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM

27,502 posts, read 56,596,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Please allow me to reality check you:

Funny, 100 years ago they didn't have all these cancers etc that we have now. The ARTIFICIAL ADDITIVES and Growth Hormones are (Many believe) largely to blame for everything from birth defects to cancers.

Doubt it? Cut open a chicken that's been 'quick grown' look at all the tumors.

Oh, and you mean the medical procedures that many can't afford?
Well life expectancy continues to rise and I expect the rise in cancer rate has some correlation to people living longer.

My Chinese neighbors, both California born in the 1920's still will not buy anything other than a whole chicken hanging in the window in China town... and they learned this from their parents.

As to medical procedures... I would say it is a mixed bag and I work in the medical field.

The premature son of a single woman on Section 8 was born with a heart defect... her son received well over a million dollars of medical care at Stanford University at no cost... the mother and Grandmother were even provided no cost accommodations totalling several months.

Quote:
Some... but in large part the golden days of the US belong to the earlier 2 generations. We are inheriting the waning empire.
Any inheritance is a gift...

Quote:
No.
PERHAPS if you just want to look in certain areas, in certain years. Now we have pollutants even IN our genetically modified foods!
Foods have always been modified... entire industries started by combining and modifying plants to resist frost and adapt to climate... there are many local stories here about the birth of California agriculture dating back over a 100 years and their pioneering efforts in creating genetically modified crops.

Quote:
HAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It DOESN'T EXIST for our generation as a serious consideration. (Except in what it will STEAL from us before it's final death streak!
When at any other time have workers received 2 years of unemployment benefits or a single mom in her 20's with 3 children provided with a free Section 8 home in the suburbs, free school meals, county health insurance cards, discount on utilities, free cell phone, assistance for car repairs or selling the car to the State for $1500 if it doesn't pass smog, job training, day care, etc...

Quote:
100 years ago cribs wern't made from plastics but wood. Last I checked wood didn't have all those nice chemicals in it. This could go ether way .
I don't understand it either... a couple in their late 30 were expecting their first child and her mother sent the crib that was made my her great-grandfather as a baby gift... it had been used for generations... the mother to be was horrified and got rid of it... I saw it and it was Americana Craftsmanship at it's best...

She bought a crib at Costco, made in China that was later recalled... maybe, we as a society deserve what we get when common sense is thrown out with the baby crib.

Quote:
-Please not, I'm not one of the incessant 'complainers' about it on here.
Just setting a few things straight.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-25-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM

5,410 posts, read 10,353,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

As to medical procedures... I would say it is a mixed bag and I work in the medical field.

The premature son of a single woman on Section 8 was born with a heart defect... her son received well over a million dollars of medical care at Stanford University at no cost... the mother and Grandmother were even provided no cost accommodations totalling several months.
I suppose it is a very mixed bag.

Meanwhile a leading cause for Real Americans in the Real World to be placed into bankruptcy is medical expenses.

Quote:
Any inheritance is a gift...

Sometimes.

Kids today have inherited a failing Corporate Economy to scrap and clean up.

Quote:

When at any other time have workers received 2 years of unemployment benefits or a single mom in her 20's with 3 children provided with a free Section 8 home in the suburbs, free school meals, county health insurance cards, discount on utilities, free cell phone, assistance for car repairs or selling the car to the State for $1500 if it doesn't pass smog, job training, day care, etc...

Or much of the medical field supported by that same system?

You look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you.

Quote:
I don't understand it either... a couple in their late 30 were expecting their first child and her mother sent the crib that was made my her great-grandfather as a baby gift... it had been used for generations... the mother to be was horrified and got rid of it... I saw it and it was Americana Craftsmanship at it's best...
Depends on the widths between the bars. Some "old school" designs on cribs are quite deadly if too wide, and older equipment (pre-1978) should be checked for Lead in the paint.

Just saying things need some checking.

btw, our kids have grown up using an 1840 high-chair for Thanksgiving -- came on a covered wagon. And now are making Halloween decorations and drawing boat plans on a table handed down from Great-Great-Great-Aunt Hortance. God rest her soul.

Quote:
She bought a crib at Costco, made in China that was later recalled... maybe, we as a society deserve what we get when common sense is thrown out with the baby crib.
My observation is that "Common Sense" seems to have become a cliche meaning "In-Lieu-of-Thinking."

Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,219,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Meanwhile a leading cause for Real Americans in the Real World to be placed into bankruptcy is medical expenses.
Yup, even with good medical insurance the combination of lost income + aux expenses can easily be overwhelming.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:17 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,758,554 times
There seems to be a bizarre misimpression that any random slothful American can simply hop on the magical "Section 8" program and immediately receive free housing anywhere he wants.

From what I understand, Section 8 is massively "oversubscribed" - if you need housing assistance, and you were to apply for Section 8 today, you'd be on a waiting list for months or years, and you might well get rejected.

Section 8 is primarily a reduced rent-scale program - not a "free" rent program.

And while there are some S8 units in the suburbs, the bulk of them are still in undesirable, lower-income urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics