U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Middle Class: loan, Cable TV, High Speed Internet, credit card debt, save money.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,500,403 times

Advertisements

An odd list.

The number of millionaires goes up, and that's supposed to be a bad thing? I guess it does lead to a smaller middle class but not in a way most folks would consider bad.

That point itself belies the doom and gloom the "rich get richer" points are supposed to instill as quite obviously by the list's own admission some still know how to accumulate wealth.

Similarly the fact that folks on Wall Street got higher bonuses last year than in 2008 is portrayed as a bad thing even though they had a better year last year than they did the year before.

It seems a lot of the points stem from each other and ultimately from crippling debt. If you live from paycheck to paycheck obviously you aren't saving any money for retirement, will postpone retirement (although I wonder if that statistic includes folks who planned to retire without saving any money for it in the first place), and aren't going to be able to invest in stocks (and the demonization of stockholders and stocks as well as dividend taxes combined with the ignorance of economics of most Americans) show why the rich own more corporate wealth now than years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,564,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
But yeah if a person thinks having an rv or a jet ski is as important as paying for their health care then its not hard to see why that person might have financial troubles.
Exactly. Selling a boat or RV is not nearly on the same level of struggle as canceling health insurance or moving to the hood.

There's a general impression that the middle class is shrinking, but today's middle class has so many more toys (such as the aforementioned boat, RV, jet ski, ATV) than the middle class of decades past. If it weren't for the mainstream media and their consumerist agenda, people would never feel that they need all this crap to live a quality lifestyle.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,500,403 times
And I'm sure all the anchor babies of illegal immigrants have nothing to do wiht driving up the numbers of American kids living below the poverty line.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,091,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I say the Middle Class in America is still doing pretty well
Well yes, but recognize that it is a much smaller percentage of people that compose the middle class now.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,564,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
And I'm sure all the anchor babies of illegal immigrants have nothing to do wiht driving up the numbers of American kids living below the poverty line.
how do you figure they do?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,392,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If TWO people can't make it on 35 to 55k, they are doing something wrong.

If you assertion is that it's hard to raise a family on that income, well, then don't raise a family if you can't afford it.

Btw, I know plenty of people who make that much, have kids, and are still not in the toilet with debt. It's called renting, living in small spaces, not buying useless crap, and being very, very careful with money.

I grew up in a family of 5 that ranged from a family income of around 25k-35k. I, nor my parents, ever had a damn thing. We thought it was the greatest thing in the world when we got a used regular NES in 1995 for Christmas, the year before the Nintendo 64 came out.

We lived in the gutter full of black people who hated white people, and me and the 3 other white kids were constantly in gang fights. We drove a minivan that constantly broke down that my dad kept together with sweat and duct tape, we wore a combination of discount store clothes and home made ones, which we were joked every single day at school about, we never got to play little league, join the scouts, or pee wee football. We never went to other kids birthday parties because we couldnt afford to bring a gift. We never got an allowance, and each one of us may have gotten $5 spent on us for an average birthday. We never had cable, never went on an actual vacation, got our haircuts at home. The first brand new baseball glove I ever got was given to me by my uncle. Until then, I played baseball in the neighborhood with my hands, or borrowed some other kids glove. I got a bicycle from a police auction when I was 12, but that was stolen off my back porch when I went in to eat dinner for 10 minutes.

BUT, my parents didnt have any debt......

Wow, thats such a great life for a kid, EVERYONE should aspire for that. I can hardly wait to bring my kids up in poverty.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 AM

44,264 posts, read 56,725,678 times
Sounds like your parents should have considered some better family planning.

Don't make it my fault or the fault of the system or other people who do better.

Also, with so little, did you learn anything about what's really important in life?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Sounds like your parents should have considered some better family planning.

Don't make it my fault or the fault of the system or other people who do better.

Also, with so little, did you learn anything about what's really important in life?

I see, so, children are now a luxury of the rich, because they are fairly unaffordable to most of the middle class.

By the way, what is important in life is living comfortably. Anyone who tells you any different is lying.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 AM

44,264 posts, read 56,725,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I see, so, children are now a luxury of the rich, because they are fairly unaffordable to most of the middle class.

By the way, what is important in life is living comfortably. Anyone who tells you any different is lying.
Yeah, that is a little bit dramatic and not even true.
Gimme a break already.
Besides, you just said your parents made it without debt.

Besides, no one owes you the opportunity to have kids. We all should sit and think about the financial ramifications of our family planning.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that is a little bit dramatic and not even true.
Gimme a break already.
Besides, you just said your parents made it without debt.
They made it with a quality of life that no kid in America should be subjected to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics