U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,046,065 times

Advertisements

I don't know about other areas of the country, but in my area, which has in general always been a "safe" area to live and work, we've been having numerous bank robberies, with the robbers getting away with the loot. Two banks I do business with were robbed this past summer, along with several others close by. In the closest city to me, 5 or 6 banks have been robbed since July.

Thankfully, no one so far has been killed or injured. What is interesting is that the local news reports these robberies but doesn't make much of a deal over them. Citizens are given no advisories, no editorials....it just happens, is over, and forgotten.

Is this happening much elsewhere? Does it make you think twice about going into a bank to do business?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,396,225 times
Bank robberies were down 7% last year, but in general, the number remains fairly constant year to year, with about 20 per day nationwide.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/11/news..._fbi/index.htm

Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 PM

13,473 posts, read 11,687,267 times
Our area has seen an increase in bank robberies. Not only banks but convenience stores (which are always a target), fast food places, barber shops (I know, weird huh?) and other small businesses. It's getting crazy!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM

31,331 posts, read 69,479,051 times
Consider yourselves lucky.

A large eastern city that has done well with a high murder rate problem
now has a problem with Molotov cocktail firebombings.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Our area has seen an increase in bank robberies. Not only banks but convenience stores (which are always a target), fast food places, barber shops (I know, weird huh?) and other small businesses. It's getting crazy!
What area are you?

I grew up in this part of nonmetropolitan New England. I cannot remember, throughout my adulthood, more than one or two bank holdups. This past year alone there have been a rash of them. Wondering if it's just random or if it's increasing occurrences nationwide. The recent robberies here were not in easy-getaway suburban or rural banks...they were right within towns and cities.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Consider yourselves lucky.

A large eastern city that has done well with a high murder rate problem
now has a problem with Molotov cocktail firebombings.
What city is this?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,193,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Does it make you think twice about going into a bank to do business?
I'd wager you are far more likely to be injured driving to a bank than experience a bank robbery in one, it wouldn't make sense to adjust your life to avoid them.

Are you sure that your proclamation "Bank robberies on the rise" is even correct or are you just assuming based on anecdotal incidents that you are aware of? We just had one a few blocks from where we live, its a weird feeling when you read the news about one and it dawns on you the location of a bank robbery is right near you.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 AM

31,331 posts, read 69,479,051 times
Quote:
What city is this?
You Don't Say: Mr. Molotov's legacy - English grammar, language, usage and journalism blog by John E. McIntyre - baltimoresun.com

enjoy the blog while you're there

Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 PM

13,473 posts, read 11,687,267 times
Quote:
What area are you?

Northern California

Personally, I think the increase in robberies has to do with the economy and cuts to the police force. There aren't as many officers on the streets and it's easier to commit a crime without being caught. I couldn't prove it but it makes sense.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 PM

81 posts, read 104,980 times
Atlanta has seen quite a few in the past year or so. Most are the kind where the robber hands the teller a note and robs the bank without anyone else in there knowing anything has gone wrong. Very few involved a robber drawing a weapon from what I recall on the news. I also believe most end up getting arrested due to the high profile nature of the crime and the fact that banks make strong use of quality video security.

I believe a contributing factor is that a significant part of society believe banks are out to rob them of their own money. Whether true or not, it simply helps to provide justification to those thinking about commiting a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics