U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM

322 posts, read 483,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baruchel23 View Post
Rhetorically speaking, why do we need trade policies to make an impact? The citizens of the United States should focus on our own economy and realize that by purchasing massive amounts of inferior/cheaply made products from china would eventually affect similarly competing companies with MANUFACTURING plants in the United States. Stop buying a product just because it's cheaper and support the local economy. The blame lies on the US Citizens.
Correct, correct, correct.

Why blame others without looking ourselves in the mirror and see what's wrong?

Firstly, it is very wrong for those executives to send jobs to China or India to outsource at the expenses of the people just because it can increase thier quarterly profits at the Wall Street.

Secondly, you have politicians to be blamed for the fiasco with its policies from wars expenses to lopsided policies that bail out failed industry at the expense of taxpayer country.

And the list goes on........and now we expect USA to change the policy to protect its interest because it is losing due to failure to catch up with the rest of the world?

And not all China products are inferior as compared to the products made in USA. It all depends on the order and price quoted. The product sold on the 1 dollar store is just a smoke screen. More, those Nike shoes to Banana Republic is made according to the specification of the US head office. Blaming China is like blaming the Japanese in the 80's when it crushed the US automobile by miles where in reality the Americans failed to be competitive in price, quality and competivetiness. Even the iconic Lincoln was replaced by Japanese made car Lexus as consumers preferred luxury car while Honda beating the Ford or Chevy as a budget car.

Dont blame the inefficiencies due to own failures. Best look at the current leader - Apple - where it is a shining example how to be ahead of competition by innovation and examplary leaderships in management and visions. Given a choice, The Americans should elect him as the President of USA in order to get out of the current mess with his track records of achievements and policies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 PM

3,600 posts, read 4,513,144 times
How can there be a trade war when only one side is buying the others goods? What little China buys from us they buy because they NEED it, then once they have it they copy it and make it themselves. On the other hand, we buys hundreds of billions of dollars worth of their crap every year. What are they going to do, stop selling to us? That only hurths them, and quite honestly, we could put some folks in this country to work replacing all the crap they stop selling to us. Bring it on.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 24,380,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baruchel23 View Post
Rhetorically speaking, why do we need trade policies to make an impact? The citizens of the United States should focus on our own economy and realize that by purchasing massive amounts of inferior/cheaply made products from china it would eventually affect similarly competing companies with MANUFACTURING plants in the United States. Stop buying a product just because it's cheaper and support the local economy. The blame lies on the US Citizens.
Let me ask you where your computer and monitor that you are using is made in?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,047,946 times
One issue with starting a trade war is that it would be extraordinarily disruptive to business and the global economy, as so much of the global supply chain is located in China.

That said, I echo what others have said, a trade war harms China to a much larger degree than it does the US. The US "needs" China. China NEEDS the US.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:31 AM

491 posts, read 1,424,062 times
We need to have a tax incentive for US manufacturing. It will bring back the jobs and the US is better than anyone in the world when it comes to manufacturing on a level playing field.

We need to do away with bailing out Wall St. for their greed and careless investments.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 AM

1,434 posts, read 2,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
We need to have a tax incentive for US manufacturing. It will bring back the jobs and the US is better than anyone in the world when it comes to manufacturing on a level playing field.

We need to do away with bailing out Wall St. for their greed and careless investments.

Create Tax subsidies, more incentives, etc. Time for us to drive smaller efficient cars. Our emphasis should be tech all the way. Expand it and emphasis it. Our schools suck and eat away our money with little or no results. Use tech to solve our educational problems. Spread the use of the Khan Acadmey. You can google it. Its amazing, I wish I had this around when I was young. Also, focus on third world problems because this will be profitable in time and these countries will perceive us more favorably. Focus on water, agriculture and energy issues. Time to bring our manufacturing companies back home. Enact penalities for US companies that sell products to America made in China. Time to make Wall street think twice before setting up shop in China. Enact laws that protect our patents and our tech. China has a nasty habit of forcing companies who want to do business over there to go into a partnerships with state owned corporations or with companies with very strong gov;t ties. Either way, our companies are forced to divulge secrets and tech in order to gain any foothold in their market. Wall street has made us impotent by bribing our gov;t officials to look the other way or pass laws that are favorable to them and bad for the average US citizen. Focus on SOuth American, Africa and India development and create a special relationship with India for defence and science. Also, instead of running away from Space, we should be aiming even higher. Space is the next frontier. Only because the tech is restricted, we have not made any further progress. We already see privatization taking hold and we should encourage it. I see mankind as Earth;s ants and we have grown to big for Earth to support us forever. We need to put the building blocks in place and encourage Space exploration full swing. Aim to colonize each and every planet but do it so with the participation of each and every country. This will further promote stability and hopefully peace. Ultimately, the end result will be a unipolar world under one fair government.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,624,776 times
While I believe that our current dependency on China is a bad thing overall for our country, make no mistake, a trade war would have a huge impact on our lifestyles.
You are talking shortages of nearly everything with the exception of food and petroleum products.
Electronics, clothing, toys, auto parts, cell phones, and almost anything else you can buy at your Wal-Mart or the Mall will be in very short supply.
This shortage of goods is typically inflationary, as the people with more money will bid up prices of scarce items to ensure they get what they want.
Do you really think the spoiled American public could stand the austerity of not being able to purchase anything they want any time they want?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,818,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
WRAPUP 2-China warns of trade war if U.S. bill passes | Reuters

China is now threatening the US with trade war if we decide to go ahead with trade policies in our own interest.
Perhaps a trade war with China is inevitable given the circumstances.
It is clear that China's growth and prosperity have come at the expense of US workers and jobs.
If politicians expect to be elected, they will have to, at some point, begin to do what is good for America, and that will no doubt anger the Chinese.
What will be the ramifications of this strained relationship going forward?
You can devalue the dollar by increasing the minimum wage.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 AM

105 posts, read 270,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Let me ask you where your computer and monitor that you are using is made in?
Your point is what?

That perhaps I bought a product and it was made in China? Or that the only place where monitors/computers are made are in China? Does one product represent the entire manufacturing industry?

I don't know you and you don't know me but I can tell you that I take pride in supporting local industries and small businesses. I may only be one person but sometimes that's all it takes.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,601,837 times
Oh no, when my cheap made in China whatever-it-is broke for the 3rd time there might not be another one on the shelf at Malwart?
I already stopped buying as much Chinese stuff as I can, they can go pound sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics