Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I do see both realities.

And it applies to me too. I can lose my job any time, it's not happening I hope, but it can, it sure can.

But I have a support mechanism in place. Parents have accumulated money for me and my brother. My brother and I are both investors.
With all due respect for your point of view, the bolded sentence above says it all. Do you have any clue whatsoever about how the other half (or more) lives, paycheck to paycheck without any support from mom or dad or uncle, no inheritance or investments, even though they work their a**es off for what they do have? You and your brother are investors because you are of the more privileged classes, or-- you have not, as you say, lost your position. This is not about class warfare, really. It's about allowing the lower classes to at least make a decent living and have a decent life. There are so many these days who not only do not want to see that happen, they'd stomp these people into the ground if they could. At least you have some humility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I think that is the point. It really isn't that different from any other time. Those of us living our lives, doing what it takes and making a living don't have a "crisis". This crisis is a farce.
It is a farce to you and other arrogant people.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So far, it just seems like a big mass of people who are angry that they aren't worth anything in today's market. While I would be pretty P-O, who exactly do they have to blame? Right now, they are just directing their anger at capitalism, which has no use for these people. Wall Street is just another boogie man, just like China, India, communism, or the boogie man himself. At this point, we have entered the pitchforks and broomsticks phase. We are angry, but we're not entirely sure who to direct our anger to. When we start hanging people from trees, anybody will do. Just as long as somebody is hanging, they can unleash some of that built up anger.
I don't believe it's individuals "on the edge" who are opposing individuals who have become financially successful. I see retirees and people engaged in many professions who are doing well who see that the global economy and its grossly imbalanced inequities is going to impact us all, rich and poor. It always puzzles me why the "haves" assume that those calling for serious reform need to believe they are all marginalized nut cases. Not so. The cameras zoom in on the radicals. Let's see what happens over time and who participates. And, for a lesson in American history, look back and see who it was who engaged in precipitating the end of one of the worst and most unjust wars in history, the Vietnam War.

That said, I am not advocating anything one way or another, just trying to remind some of the arrogant "haves" that this is a Democracy (definition in junior high history books).

Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It is a farce to you and other arrogant people.
There is nothing more arrogant than protesting on wall street because you feel you are entitled to a piece of someone elses earnings.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:01 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So far, it just seems like a big mass of people who are angry that they aren't worth anything in today's market. While I would be pretty P-O, who exactly do they have to blame? Right now, they are just directing their anger at capitalism, which has no use for these people. Wall Street is just another boogie man, just like China, India, communism, or the boogie man himself. At this point, we have entered the pitchforks and broomsticks phase. We are angry, but we're not entirely sure who to direct our anger to. When we start hanging people from trees, anybody will do. Just as long as somebody is hanging, they can unleash some of that built up anger.
Good post, I agree.
Quote:
I don't believe it's individuals "on the edge" who are opposing individuals who have become financially successful. I see retirees and people engaged in many professions who are doing well who see that the global economy and its grossly imbalanced inequities is going to impact us all, rich and poor. It always puzzles me that the "haves" assume that those calling for serious reform need to believe they are all marginalized nut cases. Not so. The cameras zoom in on the radicals. Let's see what happens over time and who participates. And, for a lesson in American history, look back and see who it was who engaged in precipitating the end of one of the worst and most unjust wars in history, the Vietnam War.
What exactly are these people calling for?
Quote:
That said, I am not advocating anything one way or another, just trying to remind some of the arrogant "haves" that this is a Democracy (definition in junior high history books).
You had a strange junior high history text. Mine said that the USA is a constitutional republic.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I don't believe it's individuals "on the edge" who are opposing individuals who have become financially successful. I see retirees and people engaged in many professions who are doing well who see that the global economy and its grossly imbalanced inequities is going to impact us all, rich and poor. It always puzzles me why the "haves" assume that those calling for serious reform need to believe they are all marginalized nut cases. Not so. The cameras zoom in on the radicals. Let's see what happens over time and who participates. And, for a lesson in American history, look back and see who it was who engaged in precipitating the end of one of the worst and most unjust wars in history, the Vietnam War.

Since you have already said in another thread a while back that we should not be trying to define who the "haves" and "have nots" are, how does your last sentence have any meaning at all? You cannot refer to a group as "haves" if you yourself refuse to define who they are.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
There is nothing more arrogant than protesting on wall street because you feel you are entitled to a piece of someone elses earnings.
Nobody wants a piece of your precious earnings. They are not targeting your bank account, don't worry. They want an end to corporate entitlement, banking bailouts, and public policies in a global economy that are making basic decent jobs a thing of the past in our country on a large level. Many of their concerns are much like the Teabaggers. They're sick of the way our country is going and they're at least ready to stand up (outdoors) for what they believe. Many are for Republican candidate Ron Paul. Nothing is defined. It is largely a youth movement of people who do not necessarily have parents to start them out in life. Others with a conscience for social reform, who are not financially hurting, are with them. You have, as usual, no idea what you are talking about.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Since you have already said in another thread a while back that we should not be trying to define who the "haves" and "have nots" are, how does your last sentence have any meaning at all? You cannot refer to a group as "haves" if you yourself refuse to define who they are.
Anyone who would write "these people are not worth anything at all" are the arrogant haves. Those who are hurting in some way that is tied to government policies, or educated people with social conscience, will tend to attempt reform on broad levels. It's in the history books (best to read them quick, before the history gets rewritten).

Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Nobody wants a piece of your precious earnings. They are not targeting your bank account, don't worry. They want an end to corporate entitlement, banking bailouts, and public policies in a global economy that are making basic decent jobs a thing of the past in our country on a large level. Many of their concerns are much like the Teabaggers. They're sick of the way our country is going and they're at least ready to stand up (outdoors) for what they believe. Many are for Republican candidate Ron Paul. Nothing is defined. It is largely a youth movement of people who do not necessarily have parents to start them out in life. Others with a conscience for social reform, who are not financially hurting, are with them. You have, as usual, no idea what you are talking about.
No, they have no idea what they are talking about and neither do you. If they feel a job is beneath them when they are with little or no job experience, that is entitlement minded. There are jobs. Just not the jobs they want.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,055 times
Quote:
No, they have no idea what they are talking about and neither do you. If they feel a job is beneath them when they are with little or no job experience, that is entitlement minded. There are jobs. Just not the jobs they want.

Where??? Doing what???? Please, tell the masses!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics