Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
In my 10 years of renting, I've never paid a single $ in property taxes and have never received any notice to collect property taxes from me.

Are you talking about the portion of your "rent" that includes the property taxes the owner pays?
Of course you have. In your ten years of renting every dollar your landlord has paid in property taxes has come from you or another tenant, so yes, you are paying property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Of course you have. In your ten years of renting every dollar your landlord has paid in property taxes has come from you or another tenant, so yes, you are paying property taxes.
And if the unit is vacant who pays it?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
you are really just paying the landlord for the right to rent his property. it could be someone who has owned the property for many years and has no mortgage on it. it could be someone who bought it at the peak of market price and your rental payment now doesnt cover his costs of mortgage/taxes. the landlord certainly hopes you are paying his mortgage/tax/expenses/profit, but it doesnt always work that way.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And if the unit is vacant who pays it?
All the tenants who have rented the property, or who are renting other properties the landlord owns.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM

410 posts, read 743,016 times
Maybe I should be asking why nobody comes to fix my house, or clean my carpets, or maintain my landscaping for free at my house.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
All the tenants who have rented the property, or who are renting other properties the landlord owns.
You make a lot of assumptions.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Me buying a home will not make things right. Second, if I'll buy a house, it will be a cash only deal. All I want "an equal protection" under handout laws.
The guvmint, in all its wisdom, wants people to own their homes. Making mortgage interest tax deductable is a subsidy to encourage home ownership. The guvmint doesn't need to entice more people to rent apartments, so why should it hand out money to renters?

Who said you're entitled to "equal protection" from taxes, and what are "handout laws"? This isn't charity; it's carrots and sticks.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
Maybe I should be asking why nobody comes to fix my house, or clean my carpets, or maintain my landscaping for free at my house.
Yes - I had a defective dishwater leak water than ruined my kitchen floor - had to be torn up and replaced, so where was my "handout"??

There is a lot of needy families and the food bank where we volunteer and give supplies to weekly - maybe since the OP is all for "handouts", maybe he/she would like to walk the collectivist talk and open up their wallet - if anyone is deserving of a handout, it would be these needy families.

Or does he/she exempt themselves from their ideology??

Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM

410 posts, read 743,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Yes - I had a defective dishwater leak water than ruined my kitchen floor - had to be torn up and replaced, so where was my "handout"??

There is a lot of needy families and the food bank where we volunteer and give supplies to weekly - maybe since the OP is all for "handouts", maybe he/she would like to walk the collectivist talk and open up their wallet - if anyone is deserving of a handout, it would be these needy families.

Or does he/she exempt themselves from their ideology??
Exactly.

Your rent may in part help pay for the landlord's property taxes, but renters have far less responsibility, financial or other, for the care and upkeep of your living space. THAT is what you pay for when you are renting.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:56 PM

179 posts, read 261,761 times
The landlord has to pay tax on net Rental income after subtract some rental expenses. Mortgage int would be probably eliminated for richers who have more than 1/2 million principal loans and certain levels of high income people.
Mortgage int and property tax are deductible for first two houses. The first one is considered primary and second one is vacation house in tax law. The deductible of mortgage int applied for the third house is limit. Landlord can claim 1/2 amount of mortgage int is deductible for third house or investment house. The limit also applied to home loan equity credit such as subprime loan up to 1 million principal only. Gov't encourages ownership . If people can not afford for rent or low income, Gov't has housing or section 8 to help those people.
Many more tax law are favorite for Landlord because gov't wants to encourage people invest in housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics