Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:39 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times

Advertisements

I finally managed to watch the whole video all the way through. I think this guy is a non-issue. I think he has made some lousy decisions with his finances, and had some one lie about having a job for him. But, as I listen to him, I think he'll be fine in the long run. He has enough going for him to make it work. I don't know what that guy is trying to show with that interview. I mean, in life you live with your own decisions good and bad, and bad stuff happens to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 01:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
My SIL has a PHD from a near-Ivy and while she managed to get jobs she was not actually successful in her career and probably didn't need the PHD to do what she did. She is bright, but she is also an odd duck and people feel uncomfortable around her sometimes. Education without personality isn't a great combo.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Several posters on this board have commented about the guy in the video having several obstacles going against him: He is overweight, He is older and finally he is Black. They are all three prejudices that are difficult to overcome.

GL2

Old 10-18-2011, 05:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My SIL has a PHD from a near-Ivy and while she managed to get jobs she was not actually successful in her career and probably didn't need the PHD to do what she did. She is bright, but she is also an odd duck and people feel uncomfortable around her sometimes. Education without personality isn't a great combo.
Bingo. Social skills are as important as IQ and degrees.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Several posters on this board have commented about the guy in the video having several obstacles going against him: He is overweight, He is older and finally he is Black. They are all three prejudices that are difficult to overcome.

GL2
He could probably do something about the weight issue. The other 2 are big obstacles though. I think age is actually the biggest.

We don't know the whole story, but I suspect he had a pattern of bad financial decisions throughout his life. Unfortunately, that's the norm, even for smart people.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestly... View Post
I am a perfect example. I had a high I Q as a child, skipped a couple of grades and things came easily to me. I ended up a mapmaker, which paid fairly well, around 75k a year. I never even finished my college degree. However, I've always been broke. I had good months when everything got paid, the kids got all they needed and no one went hungry. But for some reason I've never seemed to be able to save a dime, and therefore never have anything when emergencies happen. I've had to bankrupt twice. And I'm really not a shopper, I actually hate shopping. I simply am terrible with money, and genuinely admire people who do manage their money well (without being stingy or miserly). I believe managing money is simply a talent a person can have, and if compared to musical ability, you could say I am tone deaf. I'm fifty now, trying to live on eleven hundred a month now because of my heart, and most all of my friends who thought I'd do much better than they are living in mcmansions with a big stash in the bank. You would think that if it had been important to me, I would have planned a little better. I guess that's what it boils down to. No matter what size your brain is, you pretty much end up with as much money as you feel is important to you. I am happy being poor. I just wish my creditors were also.
Thank you for being honest.

In my experience, people who are smart, but financially unstable usually have one or more of these factos in their family background:

---Parents who didn't emphasize the importance of saving, & frugality.
--Parents who gave the kids everything they wanted.
---Chaotic or non-nurturing upbringing: divorce, single parent, alcoholic/drug addicted parents, physical abuse, sexual abuse.

People usually live in financial chaos because they get some kind of emotional payoff from it. A lot of people who come from non-nurturing homes think they're not deserving of money or stability in their lives and it shows up in multiple aspects of their lives (who they choose as partners, how they handle money, relationships with friends & coworkers, etc.).

Since you were so honest, you might consider looking a little deeper into these. It could help you to live a happier life for the years you have left.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM

324 posts, read 877,352 times
I don't get it...if a person makes 75k annually...deduct 30% in taxes

Annual Gross: 75000
Net: 52,500
  • Living: 36,000
  • Saving: 10,000
  • Leisure: 6,500

Monthly breakdown

Net: 4,375
  • Living: 3,000
  • Saving: 833.33
  • Leisure: 541.67 (135.42 every week)

What is so hard about making a simple budget ? Where is the talent needed ?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
The Corporate Lords no longer need educated Americans, that is why the Republicans are so busy dismantling our education system. Third world here we come

Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Corporate Lords no longer need educated Americans, that is why the Republicans are so busy dismantling our education system. Third world here we come
Typical hyperbole from Boompa.

I guess you haven't seen "Waiting for Superman" where a fair number of left leaning folks are coming 'round to the arguments Republicans have been making about education for decades.

Amazon.com: Waiting for "Superman": Geoffrey Canada, Michelle Rhee, Davis Guggenheim: Movies & TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics