Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times

Advertisements

The city of Birmingham Alabama just recently made the 2010 Global World Class City list.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
All I see is a list of cities, each with a greek letter assigned to it. Anybody know what it means?

Note that Juarez, Mexico, is in the same group with Birmingham. How did you arrive at the conclusion that that group reflects "honorable mention"?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
All I see is a list of cities, each with a greek letter assigned to it. Anybody know what it means?

Note that Juarez, Mexico, is in the same group with Birmingham. How did you arrive at the conclusion that that group reflects "honorable mention"?
Birmingham Alabama is on the GaWC Honorable Mention Second Tier Ranking...I grouped the Global Worid Class Cities and the Honorable Mention together.....

Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Birmingham Alabama is on the GaWC Honorable Mention Second Tier Ranking...I grouped the Global Worid Class Cities and the Honorable Mention together.....

I went to your original link, and used the Find function to look for the term /honorable/ within the text of that link, and it is not found. Can you supply a link that will indicate which cities are classified as "honorable mention" in the context of GaWC's awards? Or is that just your own designation, based on some intelligence that you could glean from the original link

You said "you" grouped them. Are you a spokesperson for GaWC who is authorized to group cities on their behalf?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I went to your original link, and used the Find function to look for the term /honorable/ within the text of that link, and it is not found. Can you supply a link that will indicate which cities are classified as "honorable mention" in the context of GaWC's awards? Or is that just your own designation, based on some intelligence that you could glean from the original link

You said "you" grouped them. Are you a spokesperson for GaWC who is authorized to group cities on their behalf?
I wouldn't dishonor myself by being a spokeperson for GaWC...you know what the cities are classified as ' the term honorable mention " is just a play on words....that carry the exact same meaning....

Old 10-03-2011, 04:37 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
birmingham, alabama a global world class city? joke of the century! I wouldn't go to Alabama even if you gave me free air tickets, especially after their new racist laws

Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Please choose one of the following as the correct interpretation:

1. 300 cities in the world of a certain size have been ranked, and Nice, Labuan, and Douala are the worst of the lot. (Totally suck, big time)

2. 1,000 cities in the world of a certain size have been ranked, and Nice, Labuan and Douala made the top 300 ("Honorable mention")

Followup question: Can somebody make a wild guess as to just one of the criteria on which these cities are judged and ranked?

If you can't ferret some kind of information out of the organization that provided the list, it is nothing but a computer screen with the names of a lot of cities on it.

Assuming that the OP had no idea whatsoever about the answers to these questions, I've resorted to the Miracle of Wikipedia, and gleaned the following information about the GaWC, the source material:

The Globalization and World Cities Research Network, commonly abbreviated to GaWC, is a thinktank based in the Geography department at Loughborough University in England, that studies the relationships between world cities in the context of globalization, which refers to the increasing the unification of the world's economic order through reduction of such barriers to international trade as tariffs, export fees, and import quotas, with a goal to increase material wealth, goods, and services through an international division of labor by efficiencies catalyzed by international relations, specialization and competition.

So, now you know. Birmingham is either in the top 300 or the bottom 50 in terms of helping out with tariffs and quotas, which qualifies it for a "sufficient" rating in that respect.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-04-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Please choose one of the following as the correct interpretation:

1. 300 cities in the world of a certain size have been ranked, and Nice, Labuan, and Douala are the worst of the lot. (Totally suck, big time)

2. 1,000 cities in the world of a certain size have been ranked, and Nice, Labuan and Douala made the top 300 ("Honorable mention")

Followup question: Can somebody make a wild guess as to just one of the criteria on which these cities are judged and ranked?

If you can't ferret some kind of information out of the organization that provided the list, it is nothing but a computer screen with the names of a lot of cities on it.

Assuming that the OP had no idea whatsoever about the answers to these questions, I've resorted to the Miracle of Wikipedia, and gleaned the following information about the GaWC, the source material:

The Globalization and World Cities Research Network, commonly abbreviated to GaWC, is a thinktank based in the Geography department at Loughborough University in England, that studies the relationships between world cities in the context of globalization, which refers to the increasing the unification of the world's economic order through reduction of such barriers to international trade as tariffs, export fees, and import quotas, with a goal to increase material wealth, goods, and services through an international division of labor by efficiencies catalyzed by international relations, specialization and competition.

So, now you know. Birmingham is either in the top 300 or the bottom 50 in terms of helping out with tariffs and quotas, which qualifies it for a "sufficient" rating in that respect.
The OP howest2008 (yes it was )(I) went to Wikipedia long before you did and the Mod deleted his post.....Yada Yada Yada...BIRMINGHAM is not a Global or World Class City it was rated as a SUFFICIENCY CITY which is a second tier honoable mention city.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 AM

My first response, which referenced an absence of explanation in the original citation, was posted less than two hours after the OP. It is invigorating to know that the moderators were on the ball, and so quickly rescued forum users from having to endure an ignominious explication.

Perhaps your mod-deleted explanation contained some inappropriate references or language. Please repost a source that defines "sufficiency" (and matches it with the concept of "honorable mention") as used in the original citation.

Absent that, your own interpretation might be helpful. Were there also 3rd tier and 4th tier and 5th tier honorable mentions, as well? Approximately now many cities were studied and found to have "insufficiency" rankings? Can you supply a few examples of familiar cities that were found to be "insufficient"? Birningham actually fell into the 11th tier of cities, overall. How many tiers were there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
.I grouped the Global Worid Class Cities and the Honorable Mention together.
Explain the criteria that YOU used.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-06-2011 at 06:28 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
My first response, which referenced an absence of explanation in the original citation, was posted less than two hours after the OP. It is invigorating to know that the moderators were on the ball, and so quickly rescued forum users from having to endure an ignominious explication.

Perhaps your mod-deleted explanation contained some inappropriate references or language. Please repost a source that defines "sufficiency" (and matches it with the concept of "honorable mention") as used in the original citation.

Absent that, your own interpretation might be helpful. Were there also 3rd tier and 4th tier and 5th tier honorable mentions, as well? Approximately now many cities were studied and found to have "insufficiency" rankings? Can you supply a few examples of familiar cities that were found to be "insufficient"? Birningham actually fell into the 11th tier of cities, overall. How many tiers were there?

Explain the criteria that YOU used.
No....on the last question...on first question the Mod deleted because of copyright issues....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics