U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 AM

28 posts, read 17,500 times

Advertisements

lets go - time to make serious money

I just wanted to propose a hypothesis on what is going to move the markets and see what the learned folks here think about it.

I think the main game in town is Obama’s re election plan. He is colluding with Bernanke to actually flood the market with liquidity and regardless of what Beranke say’s there is QE3 actually underway. The only thing which was spoiling the party was Europe and finally the local populace in Europe is scared enough by the markets that the leadership in Europe finally has incentive and motivation to provide a reasonable backstop plan. Off course the political process is never a linear process and there will be more twists in this tale but I think that Q3 earnings will have enough positive surprise ( I think the recession fears are overblown here, look at the preorder stat for iPhone 4s) to drive the market higher. Also I do not think that dollar will strengthen anymore which will mean that smart money will start to enter BRICS market soon. So my game plan is
Buy growth sectors like Technology ( By the way avoid financial at all cost. Obama will make an example out of the Investment banks and because of massive de risking and compliance costs there earnings will continue to underwhelm)

Get Into BRICS - avoid materials
Buy Gold ( I think in 12 months further dollar devaluation)

What u guys think
Regards
SR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 AM

31,331 posts, read 69,479,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr55662 View Post
Is it time to go Long ?

it's always time to go long and it's always time to go short
just as it's always time to get in and it's always time to get out

as always... the question is which specific stocks these apply to.

hth

Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM

5,409 posts, read 10,329,247 times
OP --

Do you mean to ask can we expect an Up in the overall economy based on QE?

I would say not. QE has generally went to the top end and just sat there.

Does really nothing for the overall economy.

On the other hand, sending money to the bottom -- at least partly -- ie, the Recovery Plan -- did arrest some of the collapse.

Since the Senate has blocked sending any more money to the bottom, I would look for a very real possibility of the collapse to resume.

So with that in mind, as Rational observed -- it is very selective ahead.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,818,587 times
Long on gold when it is in the 1600~1550 range.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM

I am pretty sure that none of this will actually improve the economy. But am trying to figure out if there is high probability of market going higher in short to mid term (just like it happened in QE2).
This is based on the theory that all Obama is interested in is getting re elcted and he is also trying to time the market. General public sees markets as the proxy of economic health and that's what he is trying to exploit.
The same logic applies why I would short financial on any pop because he is going to try to exploit anti Wall street sentiment to hilt.
Offcourse I am bearish in the long run and truely believe that Gold will be the king.

SR

Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 AM

19,011 posts, read 26,893,288 times
My co-worker's invested in a Brazil ETF and she's down for quite a while now.

She's got a 6 to 7 million dollar portfolio and she is my Brazil guru.

The only area of the BRIC I see great returns is India

Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 AM

I myself am from east Indian origin and totally agree with you about opportunity in India. I think RBI there is nearing the end of rate hike cycle. The market there is has big time underperformed US markets recently. And with a low risk of USD appreciating this is a good time to enter with Rate Sensitives ( banks and auto companies - BTW Indian banks have a very little international exposure). BTW some of the major Indian companies have ADR's listed in US and U do not have to go ETF route

Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 PM

I'm trading India and Japan at the moment.

Japan's getting slammed with the Spain downgrade and India is holding good support.

As I mentioned earlier, India has been my sturdiest portfolio. No major losses year to date.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:46 PM

The more and more I listen to Jim Rogers, the more and more I get paranoid of a total collapse of PIIGS and a cascading effect.

If there's a US-China trade war, that's gonna be terrific for some commodities. I'm especially getting bullish on REE's and HREE's

Jim Rogers on US-China trade war - YouTube

Old 10-14-2011, 06:17 AM

SENSEX finished strongly, about 1% up, while Japan and Hong Kong showed some struggle. I bought about 10,000 Renuka Sugars earlier in the month for about 50 and it's approaching 60 and my sale target is like 65.

I wonder if it can get to 100, it's going strong. I was thinking of selling it at a profit of 7 rupees per share but then I fell asleep and the trade didn't clear, now I'm glad I fell asleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics