Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

The "collapse " is now in its fourth month, can I come out of my bunker now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Can you folks please stop spewing this garbage regarding China.

We have a huge problem in that we were running large deficits into a severe recession/depression. China is running massive surpluses. Two entirely different situations.
They can afford rainy days. We can't. The only thing literally saving us right now is the USD as the sole reserve currency.

The problem with China isn't on the economic side. It's political. Their citizens have traded off civil liberties for economic growth. Once that repressive political system doesn't generate the type of growth they demand, they'll go after the political system.
So what if they have a trade surplus. It's well known that their factories produce, even if the demand isn't there. Their factories are often owned by the state itself. When they sell junk cheaper then the price of the commodities used, they are loosing money. Just having a trade surplus doesn't mean they are doing well. This is the problem with the state ownership model. The real benefactors are the countries supplying the commodities used.

Have you considered the reasons why they have such a massive trade surplus? People are working for wages that do not allow them to consume. After China gets done sucking the wealth out of consumer nations like the U.S. (often for a loss), the workers in China still do not have enough to consume. After the consumers in the U.S and Europe have nothing left to spend, China is screwed. The people in China also do not have the safety net to catch the masses who will be unemployed. China is much more vulnerable that you seem to realize, which shouldn't be surprising given their economies dependence on satisfying the worlds consumer demand for cheap garbage. My guess is that a depression in China would be worse than anything we have ever seen.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
People on here that use "epic" are the same ones who use the word "collapse".
It makes their posts more "read me!"
See you get it.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Let me supply the numbers for him, since he hasn't done it.

According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, violent crime (murder, rape, robbery, arson) declined by 6 percent from 2010. Property crimes (theft, embezzlement, burglary) dropped by over 3% from 2010.

I wonder what Modeerf will say to this. I'm guessing it will be:

1. "The numbers are made up and are the result of a government conspiracy";
2. "Just you wait, tomorrow the numbers will skyrocket"; or
3. "I don't care about statistics, didn't you hear about the double murder down in Texas last week!"

Take your pick, he'll never concede he's wrong (even when he is).

And some people actually still take the kind of garbage he spouts seriously....

FBI — FBI Releases Preliminary Semiannual Crime Statistics for 2011
Not true, i concede i was wrong. Though not for long.

Your three excuses are pretty good, i have used them in the past.

Suicides overall are up 3% which is pretty epic. Suicides for veterans of middle east wars is more than double the lives lost to those stupid wars.

Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death in America.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The "collapse " is now in its fourth month, can I come out of my bunker now
Bunkers are over rated.

Do you not see that the financial schemes of the world are collapsing as we speak?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
The oft-repeated line of the serial doom predictor. Curious = why did you claim that crime is up if you obviously didn't know that was true?

Quote:
Suicides overall are up 3% which is pretty epic.
Source link? Not saying it is false but you've been busted manufacturing information way too often to take anything from you at face value.

Quote:
Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death in America.
FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death
  • Heart disease: 616,067
  • Cancer: 562,875
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 135,952
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 127,924
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 123,706
  • Alzheimer's disease: 74,632
  • Diabetes: 71,382
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 52,717
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 46,448
  • Septicemia: 34,828

Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
It isn't conceding you are wrong to admit one reason that you think some way is wrong, and then look for new reasons to come to the same exact conclusions till they are debunked. It's a sign of illogical thought processes to have a conclusion in mind before you have a series of reasons why in place.

When a logical rational human being finds their reasoning for a conclusion are wrong, they alter their conclusion to be based on what is right. A crank finds their reasoning is wrong, they look for other reasons but their conclusions stay the same.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
The oft-repeated line of the serial doom predictor. Curious = why did you claim that crime is up if you obviously didn't know that was true?
Where i live, it has risen 2.5% over the last 2yrs. I was construing it was a national rise, not localized.
We have 15% unemployment down from 18%.

Quote:
Source link? Not saying it is false but you've been busted manufacturing information way too often to take anything from you at face value.
This is from 2008
Suicide Rates Rise Among Baby Boomers - US News and World Report

Quote:
FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death
  • Heart disease: 616,067
  • Cancer: 562,875
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 135,952
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 127,924
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 123,706
  • Alzheimer's disease: 74,632
  • Diabetes: 71,382
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 52,717
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 46,448
  • Septicemia: 34,828
AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics
For 18-65 yr. olds.
It is the 10th overall.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Where i live, it has risen 2.5% over the last 2yrs. I was construing it was a national rise, not localized.
So earlier you were trying to twist things to where you actually meant just financial crimes and suicide, now you are saying by "crime is up" you actually just meant in your local area.

Quote:
Suicide Rates Rise Among Baby Boomers - US News and World Report
So when asked how you know the suicide rate is up 3% you managed to google up an article that talks about suicide rates among middle aged people in a study from 2000-2005? Nice.

Quote:
It is the 10th overall.
Two posts ago you said "Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death in America." Now you've moved it back down to 10th.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Two posts ago you said "Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death in America." Now you've moved it back down to 10th.
It is 4th among adults 18-65. Pretty big part of the population.

It doesn't cover infants and elderly. When you include all ages it is 10th.

Do you think 4th is acceptable?

How about 10th?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics