U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
 
8,265 posts, read 11,224,668 times
Reputation: 4788

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
If you can laugh at me or laugh with me, it don't matter to me.
It is the former, at your ability to lie to yourself when chasing a conclusion that leads you to continue the constant cycle of making asinine predictions then following up each wrong result with "but not for long"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 PM
 
3,327 posts, read 3,809,025 times
Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I've never liked George Soros or much of what he has to say. He is a socialist...a really rich Socialist.
Love him or not the guy knows how to make money and predict world trends.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 02:36 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,711,383 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It is the former, at your ability to lie to yourself when chasing a conclusion that leads you to continue the constant cycle of making asinine predictions then following up each wrong result with "but not for long"
Your ability to attack is getting better with practice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,711,383 times
Reputation: 921
Default Collapse is upon US and EUROPE

UniCredit warns rights issue investors of euro break-up - Telegraph

Center for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) says that Euro collapse starts this year.

Eurozone collapse 'starts this year' says CEBR - Telegraph
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
 
3,327 posts, read 3,809,025 times
Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
UniCredit warns rights issue investors of euro break-up - Telegraph

Center for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) says that Euro collapse starts this year.

Eurozone collapse 'starts this year' says CEBR - Telegraph
Some countries will leave the euro but that will only strengthen the euro monetarily. It will weaken the EU politically.

I actually think it will have a positive effect on the world economy.

I don't think the EU will collapse. It'll be restructured to better fit reality. As it stands now, the EU is a drag on the world economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 05:43 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,711,383 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Some countries will leave the euro but that will only strengthen the euro monetarily. It will weaken the EU politically.

I actually think it will have a positive effect on the world economy.

I don't think the EU will collapse. It'll be restructured to better fit reality. As it stands now, the EU is a drag on the world economy.
What causes you to believe that the EU will hold up.
If the PIIGS leave the Union? Won't that really be a collapse?

Maybe i should ask what countries you believe will leave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 PM
 
3,327 posts, read 3,809,025 times
Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
What causes you to believe that the EU will hold up.
If the PIIGS leave the Union? Won't that really be a collapse?

Maybe i should ask what countries you believe will leave.
Collapse? Depends on how you view collapse. It'll lead to more cohesion within the core when all is said and done.

The PIGS have about as much in common with the Northern/Central/Western Europeans as Americans have with Mexicans.

The EU as it stands now was and is just a wet dream of technocrats but is not rooted in reality.

Greece has the highest chance of leaving the euro. The impact will be relatively small.
Italy will most likely stay for the time being because of Northern Italy.
Spain will also stay for time being because the elite (starting with the monarchy) are more so Northern/Central Europeans than Mediterranean.
Portugal can go either way. See Greece.

The fear is among the technocrats; about the EU politically. If the Euro sheds the weak players it actually strengthens. If the EU sheds nations it becomes weaker.

What will ultimately happen is that the EU politically will becomes like the UN (symbolic). While the euro monetary core will be akin to the security council where real decisions are made.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 01-07-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,927,024 times
Reputation: 32439
Default Slackjaw's skill with the attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Your ability to attack is getting better with practice.
Actually, Slackjaw's ability to attack has always been good. Modeerf, you don't seem to realize that you set yourself up to be attacked; you just about beg people to attack you. Or maybe you do realize it. Isn't that the whole point - the way you have fun here? Or do you have some personality quirk which needs to believe in a negative and catastrophic future and which overrides logical, rational, and dispassionate analysis? Your dead certainty that we are about to collapse, and especially the fact that it continues to fail to happen and you continue to postpone your predictions, makes you a laughingstock. I would suggest your posting in the Self-sufficiency and Preparedness Forum, where you will find a much higher percentage of nut cases, er, I mean like-minded people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,711,383 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Actually, Slackjaw's ability to attack has always been good. Modeerf, you don't seem to realize that you set yourself up to be attacked; you just about beg people to attack you. Or maybe you do realize it. Isn't that the whole point - the way you have fun here? Or do you have some personality quirk which needs to believe in a negative and catastrophic future and which overrides logical, rational, and dispassionate analysis? Your dead certainty that we are about to collapse, and especially the fact that it continues to fail to happen and you continue to postpone your predictions, makes you a laughingstock. I would suggest your posting in the Self-sufficiency and Preparedness Forum, where you will find a much higher percentage of nut cases, er, I mean like-minded people.
I'm surprised by your response ER. If you don't realize what many well respected economists around the world are warning about, how do you calculate your investment strategy?

I haven't postponed any prediction. I have been wrong in predicting the timing of BAC's stock price, but not in the eventuality of its restructuring.

Having fun on a forum is part of it, exaggerating my positions like you and slackjaw have done is fun for you. The point is, this economy has collapsed, will continue to collapse, and will continue to reveal itself in war, disease, suffering and a unbalanced wealth redistribution that everyone is feeling and will continue to feel.

Hide your head in the sand if you choose.

Your getting pretty good at attacking as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,711,383 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Collapse? Depends on how you view collapse. It'll lead to more cohesion within the core when all is said and done.
I think when we have a real unemployment in the US over 15%, that in itself is a collapse of our ability to solve problems.

The core is corrupt, and will eventually effect the whole.

Quote:
The PIGS have about as much in common with the Northern/Central/Western Europeans as Americans have with Mexicans.

The EU as it stands now was and is just a wet dream of technocrats but is not rooted in reality.
The commonality is dependence on what each provides. Mexico is the 2nd largest supplier of our imported oil. Oil is life. It is tied to population and happiness. Take away the hope of the pursuit of happiness and you will have chaos. In Europe and in the US. Europe is on track to have extreme civil unrest due to the austerity pressures that the Techonocrats wet themselves over. Our trend is collapse, it isn't happiness.

Quote:
Greece has the highest chance of leaving the euro. The impact will be relatively small.
Italy will most likely stay for the time being because of Northern Italy.
Spain will also stay for time being because the elite (starting with the monarchy) are more so Northern/Central Europeans than Mediterranean.
Portugal can go either way. See Greece.
I like your optimistic attitude toward Greece's importance, but it never ceases to amaze me that no crisis goes unpunished towards the commoners.
They carry the brunt of the Techno's decisions. Europe doesn't have the right to keep and bare arm's. The US does. There is a great difference to how each will react to austerity.

Quote:
The fear is among the technocrats; about the EU politically. If the Euro sheds the weak players it actually strengthens. If the EU sheds nations it becomes weaker.

What will ultimately happen is that the EU politically will becomes like the UN (symbolic). While the euro monetary core will be akin to the security council where real decisions are made.
Do you really believe the UN is symbolic? The UN has moved it's agenda throughout the US, in terms of climate, environmental regulations, Agenda 21 is alive and well in every planning dept. in the US. The US didn't approve of it, but it is the Bible of Enviro's and Regulationista's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top