U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2012, 02:37 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 11,344,703 times
Reputation: 4125

Advertisements

If you want similar predictions one only needs to look at the 60s. But we're still here.

And the threats to world stability and nuclear holocaust were much more severe back then.

Israel went to war with all its neighbors, and won. No world war. No Armaggeddon. After the war ended, the region stabilized and stayed stable for over 40 years, just pockets of fighting.

After Vietnam, again, the region stabilized and has slowly been transitioning away from that stability for the past 35 years.

The numerous stare-downs across the borders and dangerous games played in the airspace and trailing each other playing tag under the sea could have easily resulted in WW3.

But we're still here.

The world is a much more peaceful and safe place to be now than at any time in the past 150 years.

Nor do I worry too much about drought. We still produce more than enough food to export. And population explosions leading to "food drought" has been heard before. Remember the 1950s? People thought that there would be food wars, water wars, etc. because the world's population was exploding.

And it would have happened if it hadn't been for Norman Borlaug. He basically invented the wheat that grows in more harsh climates, without genetic engineering. His wheat strains literally saved billions from starvation. And food science hasn't stood still either.

Will there be hiccups along the way? Yes. But we're far too resilient a species for systemwide catastrophe. The only thing that would do that is nuclear war (the probability of which is too remote to be considered at this point) or a celestial event, like gamma ray burst or huge asteroid. Personally, I'm not pulling my money from the market, buying a mountain of gold and bullets, or stockpiling food for this. Am I prepared for a major even like an earthquake? Sure. But I'm not constantly in fear of the world, like you modeerf.

So I pity you. I pity you in the sense that you are afraid of the world. If you're so afraid of what might happen why not commit suicide and get it over with? Otherwise, grow a spine. Our civilization has survived drought, holocaust, nature, disease, and ourselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,712,752 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
If you want similar predictions one only needs to look at the 60s. But we're still here.

And the threats to world stability and nuclear holocaust were much more severe back then.

Israel went to war with all its neighbors, and won. No world war. No Armaggeddon. After the war ended, the region stabilized and stayed stable for over 40 years, just pockets of fighting.

After Vietnam, again, the region stabilized and has slowly been transitioning away from that stability for the past 35 years.

The numerous stare-downs across the borders and dangerous games played in the airspace and trailing each other playing tag under the sea could have easily resulted in WW3.

But we're still here.

The world is a much more peaceful and safe place to be now than at any time in the past 150 years.

Nor do I worry too much about drought. We still produce more than enough food to export. And population explosions leading to "food drought" has been heard before. Remember the 1950s? People thought that there would be food wars, water wars, etc. because the world's population was exploding.

And it would have happened if it hadn't been for Norman Borlaug. He basically invented the wheat that grows in more harsh climates, without genetic engineering. His wheat strains literally saved billions from starvation. And food science hasn't stood still either.

Will there be hiccups along the way? Yes. But we're far too resilient a species for systemwide catastrophe. The only thing that would do that is nuclear war (the probability of which is too remote to be considered at this point) or a celestial event, like gamma ray burst or huge asteroid. Personally, I'm not pulling my money from the market, buying a mountain of gold and bullets, or stockpiling food for this. Am I prepared for a major even like an earthquake? Sure. But I'm not constantly in fear of the world, like you modeerf.

So I pity you. I pity you in the sense that you are afraid of the world. If you're so afraid of what might happen why not commit suicide and get it over with? Otherwise, grow a spine. Our civilization has survived drought, holocaust, nature, disease, and ourselves.
You were doing pretty good stating your points up to the last paragraph's. You ASSumed....

I'm not afraid of any of the things i speak about. Neither do i think killing one's self is a solution to anything.

I'm actually looking forward to participating in the clean up. Most of my opinions are to execute judgement on those that cause the Wars, and that don't plan for natural disasters.

So, you are of the mind. It hasn't happened to you, so it won't.. i get that.
But then, maybe your wrong. And this world is on the brink of mass culling, by people that plan for it to be culled. That revel in the enjoyment of greed and power, while conspiring against those that won't see it coming.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 11,344,703 times
Reputation: 4125
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
You were doing pretty good stating your points up to the last paragraph's. You ASSumed....

I'm not afraid of any of the things i speak about. Neither do i think killing one's self is a solution to anything.

I'm actually looking forward to participating in the clean up. Most of my opinions are to execute judgement on those that cause the Wars, and that don't plan for natural disasters.

So, you are of the mind. It hasn't happened to you, so it won't.. i get that.
But then, maybe your wrong. And this world is on the brink of mass culling, by people that plan for it to be culled. That revel in the enjoyment of greed and power, while conspiring against those that won't see it coming.
Based on what evidence? All links you've posted are symptoms of environmental or stupid political bickering, not proof there's some illuminati or other group that wants to wipe out most life. Hardly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,712,752 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Based on what evidence? All links you've posted are symptoms of environmental or stupid political bickering, not proof there's some illuminati or other group that wants to wipe out most life. Hardly.
Not most life. 2 Billion out of 7 Billion. Which would be a portion, or 33%.

Evidence is all around. Do you think there are no solutions to our problems. Economy, Health, Safety, Wars.

My 13 yr. old could solve these.

Those that profit off of the misery of others, are not interested in solving problems. They create scenario's to take our freedom's, our treasure, and our son's and daughters. The proof is history and the present.

Anyone that has traveled and met people in the Middle East, Europe, and Asia understands that the leaders and industrialist's are the evil doer's. Not the citizens, that just desire peace, a couple meals a day and a warm dry place to lay their head's.

It's the Oligarch's and Pride filled Egomaniacs that desire New World orders, Corrupt organizations like the IMF, World Bank, FED, UN.. why do these have political immunity against prosecution.

The last leader of the IMF - Dominic Strauss Kahn went about raping and tormenting women in every country he visited. His vile affections towards women is known the world over. He claimed diplomatic immunity when he forcibly raped and degraded a maid in a hotel in NY. He was allowed to leave and was not prosecuted.

These are the types of people that destroy life on this earth. There are plenty of news agencies that get bits and pieces out so that those that take the time to understand the world as it is. And why perpetual wars exist. Though the majority cry for peace.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 11,344,703 times
Reputation: 4125
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Not most life. 2 Billion out of 7 Billion. Which would be a portion, or 33%.

Evidence is all around. Do you think there are no solutions to our problems. Economy, Health, Safety, Wars.

My 13 yr. old could solve these.

Those that profit off of the misery of others, are not interested in solving problems. They create scenario's to take our freedom's, our treasure, and our son's and daughters. The proof is history and the present.

Anyone that has traveled and met people in the Middle East, Europe, and Asia understands that the leaders and industrialist's are the evil doer's. Not the citizens, that just desire peace, a couple meals a day and a warm dry place to lay their head's.

It's the Oligarch's and Pride filled Egomaniacs that desire New World orders, Corrupt organizations like the IMF, World Bank, FED, UN.. why do these have political immunity against prosecution.

The last leader of the IMF - Dominic Strauss Kahn went about raping and tormenting women in every country he visited. His vile affections towards women is known the world over. He claimed diplomatic immunity when he forcibly raped and degraded a maid in a hotel in NY. He was allowed to leave and was not prosecuted.

These are the types of people that destroy life on this earth. There are plenty of news agencies that get bits and pieces out so that those that take the time to understand the world as it is. And why perpetual wars exist. Though the majority cry for peace.
No, its not connecting the dots, its called circumstantial evidence. Nothing direct. Sorry, with such drastic predictions you'd need direct evidence to pursuade folks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 AM
 
5,617 posts, read 14,358,849 times
Reputation: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
If you want similar predictions one only needs to look at the 60s. But we're still here.

And the threats to world stability and nuclear holocaust were much more severe back then.

Israel went to war with all its neighbors, and won. No world war. No Armaggeddon. After the war ended, the region stabilized and stayed stable for over 40 years, just pockets of fighting.

After Vietnam, again, the region stabilized and has slowly been transitioning away from that stability for the past 35 years.

The numerous stare-downs across the borders and dangerous games played in the airspace and trailing each other playing tag under the sea could have easily resulted in WW3.

But we're still here.

The world is a much more peaceful and safe place to be now than at any time in the past 150 years.

Nor do I worry too much about drought. We still produce more than enough food to export. And population explosions leading to "food drought" has been heard before. Remember the 1950s? People thought that there would be food wars, water wars, etc. because the world's population was exploding.

And it would have happened if it hadn't been for Norman Borlaug. He basically invented the wheat that grows in more harsh climates, without genetic engineering. His wheat strains literally saved billions from starvation. And food science hasn't stood still either.

Will there be hiccups along the way? Yes. But we're far too resilient a species for systemwide catastrophe. The only thing that would do that is nuclear war (the probability of which is too remote to be considered at this point) or a celestial event, like gamma ray burst or huge asteroid. Personally, I'm not pulling my money from the market, buying a mountain of gold and bullets, or stockpiling food for this. Am I prepared for a major even like an earthquake? Sure. But I'm not constantly in fear of the world, like you modeerf.

So I pity you. I pity you in the sense that you are afraid of the world. If you're so afraid of what might happen why not commit suicide and get it over with? Otherwise, grow a spine. Our civilization has survived drought, holocaust, nature, disease, and ourselves.
I agree !!! And we suvived Polio too!!!! Polio was suppost to wipe us out too!! How about AIDS? You are so correct when you say look back to the 60's. Remeber all the people building those underground bomb shelters? So Im not worried either. In fact I think if I stay in the market for the next 20 years I will make money!!! Im not worried!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 AM
 
86,306 posts, read 83,812,081 times
Reputation: 62045
long term everything the last 100 has thrown at us we eventually recovered from. long term is almost an easy call.

there is no economic event we haven overcome with enough time. i say it all the time,buying assets is as much about buying time as it is about buying assets .
so far for the USA 15 years time frame has always had us recovering ,at least to a point you could sell out at a profit.

japan made alot of mistakes hopefully we didnt and over the last 20 plus years their markets havent hit new highs however there were 4x even their markets hit points over 50% higher where you had opporunity to sell if you wanted before markets fell back.

yeah we all know the future may be different but it also could be the same. i think i would prefer to plan around 100 years of history then the wild shot it will be different.. just have a plan that allows for uncertainty and does not try to rule it out.

short term i think we are in for some nasty times. companies and analysts are giving guidance thats cutting earning expectations

housing has sucked 7 trillion dollars from american pockets and 25% of homeowners are under water.

unemployment is running very high and stimulus money doesnt seem to work because there is no demand for the money.

then we have the euro story to deal with.

even the corporations that are flush wiith cash on their books arent spending it and they certainly arent going out and spending it on their own or other company stock.

7 months ago many laughed at me when i recommended good old long term treasuries at a little over 3.25% interest. well today they are up 11% surpassing everything else again so far.

i think for the very conservative they may be a buy still, as these world problems shake themselves out.

we can still see nice capital gains of 25% on those bonds if long term rates come down 1%. not a bad deal to be guaranteed 2.80% or have the potential for a 25% gain with little risk.

i still think for those with some more pucker factor a diversified portfolio with at least a 15 year time frame is the way to take the shot.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-05-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,712,752 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
No, its not connecting the dots, its called circumstantial evidence. Nothing direct. Sorry, with such drastic predictions you'd need direct evidence to pursuade folks.
So to you, powerful people have never colluded and conspired on this planet, and there have been no wars for profit?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,346 posts, read 6,108,413 times
Reputation: 5979
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post

Our economic system is on the verge of a total collapse. The US taxpayer is being set up to pay the bills of failing Bank investments.
Good thing I've spent my career practicing a marketable trade instead pushing paper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 AM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,712,752 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
long term everything the last 100 has thrown at us we eventually recovered from. long term is almost an easy call.

there is no economic event we haven overcome with enough time. i say it all the time,buying assets is as much about buying time as it is about buying assets assets.

so far for the USA 15 years time frame has always had us recovering ,at least to a point you could sell out at a profit.

japan mad alot of mistates hopefully we didnt and over the last 20 plus years their markets havent hit new highs however there were 4x even their markets hit points over 50% higher where you had opporunity to sell if you wanted before markets fell back.

yeah we all know the future may be different but it also could be the same. i think i would prefer to plan around 100 years of history then the wild shot it will be different.. just have a plan that allows for uncertainty and does not try to rule it out.

short term i think we are in for some nasty times. companies and analysts are giving guidance thats cutting earning expectations

housing has sucked 7 trillion dollars from american pockets and 25% of homeowners are under water.

unemployment is running very high and stiumulus money doesnt seem to work because there is no demand for the money.

even the corporations that are flush wiith cash on their books arent spending it and they certainly arent going out and spending it on their own or other company stock.
There is a demand for dollars. The problem is that the productive people of this country, have seen their credit numbers tank, thereby making it impossible for them to regain a foot hold in the economy.

It is rigged for depression, and war. There is historical repetitiveness going on here and it's clearly out of the Oligarch world citizen playbook.

The Banking Cartels are not spending because they see a bigger collapse coming, because they are part of the design. They will let their greed guide them, and wait till values drop another 50%.

The JP Morgan Great Depression model, is here. It will be and already is, far worse. The only reason it's not soup lines and riots, is because of the Fed printing Trillions in debt, allowing this criminal administration to fill the USDA with food dollars, and extending a unprecedented amount on unemployment extensions.

70% consumer economy, makes for a real cluster .... of an economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top