U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,335,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I ask again: when?

Anyone can sit here being the internet equivalent of crazy dude with "end of days" signboard, if have a strong enough analysis to predict this why don't you throw out a year? Do you have anything more solid than general open-ended impending doom thread?

You will never get an answer to this. Even when a date is given and nothing happens, they just lie low, then start a new thread. I think we may be in for some hard times for sure, but this total collapse stuff gets old.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,197,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Even when a date is given and nothing happens, they just lie low, then start a new thread
Or they just convince themselves they were right anyway. Suddenly whatever economic situation we are in will indeed be the collapse they spoke of and the rest of us are fools for swallowing those fake government stats instead of seeing what is going on around us.

Riots in the streets? Check, occupy wall street movement counts.
Soaring unemployment? Check, see this website shows it is actually 30%.
People starving? Check, see "food insecure" press release from this charity.
World at war? Arab Spring is because of starvation not political.

It is almost like Mad Max out there right now.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM

16,516 posts, read 21,972,547 times
Quote:
Or they just convince themselves they were right anyway. Suddenly whatever economic situation we are in will indeed be the collapse they spoke of and the rest of us are fools for swallowing those fake government stats instead of seeing what is going on around us.

Riots in the streets? Check, occupy wall street movement counts.
Soaring unemployment? Check, see this website shows it is actually 30%.
People starving? Check, see "food insecure" press release from this charity.
World at war? Arab Spring is because of starvation not political.

It is almost like Mad Max out there right now.
I would hardly call the Occupy Movement RIOTS.
Soaring Unemployment, it was higher under Reagan
People Starving, not while we have Food Stamps
World at War, During the last World War 10% of the population war called up for military service, now hardly 1%

You need to get out more

Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,701,944 times
Quote:
I ask again: when?

Anyone can sit here being the internet equivalent of crazy dude with "end of days" signboard, if have a strong enough analysis to predict this why don't you throw out a year? Do you have anything more solid than general open-ended impending doom thread?
sorry, i just reviewed and saw that you asked back on pg. 1

I can only guess when. There are opposing powers fighting for survival, and the IMF always comes out on top.

My gut says before the summer of 2012.

With the earnings season coming up, i would say that the NYSE 4th quarter reports will shock the avg. investor.

Credit has been cut by Billions, Unemployment and wages are obviously stagnate and failing. Christmas sales won't be that great.

There are a couple majors that could make a world financial collapse come very swiftly.

1. PIIGS bring down EU, which brings down Britain, USA, China.

2. War w/ Iran would turn energy on its head. Cost and supply.

One thing that is for sure, is that Bank of America is a short timer. IT's going to be a gift to JP Morgan.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,197,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You need to get out more
You need a new sarcasm detector.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
You need a new sarcasm detector.
There use to be a smiley for that....

Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,223,483 times
I have always been a skeptic to many things (Y2K etc.)...

BUT being of the Asian blood, I've always liked gold, and would agree that in centuries past, gold is the world currencies (from India to China, to Europe & Arabian world & Africa... etc.) and is a traded & honored system (way of currency / product eg. like jewelry etc.) for many merchants... there will be nothing wrong in holding on to gold for the "JIC".

Now with the proven history of how paper money based upon "trust" (from the government promising its value) can and have failed us (like Japanese Banana note, German money in WW2, North Korean redenominate its currency...) and if EUROPE were to do away with EURO.... then what "trust" do we have in what the modern society knows of as a currency in the "paper money"???

What good is "paper money"???
**You cannot eat it***
When this "paper money" cannot buy your "basic needs" (food, water, shelter, medicine etc.)??? Then this "paper money" may be only useful / worth for only toilet needs????

Brings us back to "food".
Food can be used also as a trading currency... dated back to centuries because FOOD is a necessity.
Say if you have food but needed medicine... you can use food in trade for medicine... the example is endless.
Food is for survival, plain & simple, you NEED it.

The only reason you may have need for the modern "paper money" is because right now with the government guaranteeing its value, one can use that value to buy food.

(**Doesn't help that there may be a second downgrade to the US banks...** another notch to Obama's belt for his achievement for sure)
Anyone should know downgrading the credit worth (hence trust) of a country is NO JOKING matter...

Say 1 euro buys you a loaf of bread today... but what happen if tomorrow with hyper inflation (the trust is no longer there) when that loaf of bread will be costing you 1000 euro??? What is that "paper money" euro worth then??? And if it keeps depreciating??? What then?

Thus, I have done what my family use to do... I like to hoard food too, its natural thing to do (squirrels does it for winter, so why not I, I have that room..).

The worst case scenario may or may not even happen...

BUT no one can deny "prevention" is better than "having to cure" one when they are already sick...

If "prevention" is better, why not in preparation for the "JIC"???

Or why buy life insurance but for the "JIC"???

Its absolutely legal and with the rights of freedom should anyone chooses to prepare for that worst case scenario.

I'd say... GOOD for the ones prepared than the ones NOT.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,223,483 times
Yes... lets do away with the USA dollar and put everyone one Food stamps (the currency)...
How about that???

And who's going to pay for that "everyone on food stamps"???

Does not make sense when the country is in debt, our generation & the next few after us will be paying for this debt... and we have to pay for the welfare of ??Who/What?? on food stamps???

Yah... sorry I would like to feed my family *first* before giving my "leftovers" to the "beggers" (on welfare/foodstamps)... That make sense!

P.S. And at this rate with the people on the *receiving end* as "ingrates" (who is NOT even paying Taxes)... I don't think I would like to give a penny more to contribute to the people who is milking off the societies... and *I* shouldn't be "forced to" do charity, its my hard earned money after-all.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM

14,017 posts, read 18,868,953 times
Default Full literacy and emoticons

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
There use to be a smiley for that....
If our writing skills are decent, and if the reader's comprehension skills are decent, then no one will need an emoticon to tell us what is sarcasm. The enjoyment of sarcasm for both writer and recipient is lost is there has to be a warning sign stating "Hey, this is sarcasm!".

The reliance on emoticons for such things is a sign of semi-literacy. Slackjaw's meaning was clear as a bell.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Yes... lets do away with the USA dollar and put everyone one Food stamps (the currency)...
How about that???

And who's going to pay for that "everyone on food stamps"???

Does not make sense when the country is in debt, our generation & the next few after us will be paying for this debt... and we have to pay for the welfare of ??Who/What?? on food stamps???

Yah... sorry I would like to feed my family *first* before giving my "leftovers" to the "beggers" (on welfare/foodstamps)... That make sense!

P.S. And at this rate with the people on the *receiving end* as "ingrates" (who is NOT even paying Taxes)... I don't think I would like to give a penny more to contribute to the people who is milking off the societies... and *I* shouldn't be "forced to" do charity, its my hard earned money after-all.
The economy is set up to fail. It is a divide and conquer competitive exercise that pits everyone against each other.

The American Motto; GET AHEAD! (of who?) your family, neighbors, countrymen?

Sure there are those that want to be fed.

The majority don't.

I just can't believe that all those ivy league scholars could destroy the economy in a few decades.

How is it that when Wall st. exports our ideas, technology and lively hoods. It's the people that just want to eat that get chastised?

Stop feeding the unemployed and lazy. You'll see something really interesting.

Al Qaeda will be a bee sting compared to the revolt that despair generates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics