U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,387,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
To the fools replying to this thread saying that everything is pretty much peachy, and the good ol US will recover...are you for real?

We are 14 trillion in debt, and only sinking deeper by the day. We love to invade country after country, trying to force our warped democratic viewpoint upon others. Corruption runs our country and it is only a matter of time before the house of cards collapses.
Toxic mortgage derivatives of over $71 Trillion are in the process of being shifted from investment accounts to savings institutions (see Merrill Lynch to transfer $50+ Trillion to BAC) to be insured by depositors and the FDIC. I don't see any way for that slight of paper to end well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:38 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,823,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Toxic mortgage derivatives of over $71 Trillion are in the process of being shifted from investment accounts to savings institutions (see Merrill Lynch to transfer $50+ Trillion to BAC) to be insured by depositors and the FDIC. I don't see any way for that slight of paper to end well.
This is the outcome of the repeal of Glass Steagal.

We don't have the tax base to support all the debt in the US.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM

6,933 posts, read 9,717,980 times
Italian banks heading into the ground, this crisis is getting from bad to worse!

Italy's biggest bank UniCredit announced a 10.6 billion-euro loss bank run danger - YouTube

Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM

6,933 posts, read 9,717,980 times
another great watch:

Economic crisis looming [CNN 11-11-2011] - YouTube

Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 PM

706 posts, read 1,206,314 times
It crashed a long time ago, they just haven't admitted it yet

Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
It crashed a long time ago, they just haven't admitted it yet
I think they are starting to admit it.

Prepare for riots in euro collapse, Foreign Office warns - Telegraph

Old 11-27-2011, 02:17 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,830,155 times
Need to keep a close eye on the Euro zone now. Greece, Italy and now Spain.
I don't think France and Germany have enough to bail out three countries.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nor the will.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:23 AM

8,067 posts, read 11,855,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The market has been sending the eurozone a dual message for two years now: 1a) centralize fiscal policy and issuance of money supply and 1b) improve competitiveness and growth among the laggards; or 2) break up and allow for monetary/exchange rate devaluation of the laggards.

What have eurozone and IMF policymakers done: 1a) nothing significant so far with respect to the first demand; 1b) raise taxes, in the face of the demand to boost growth.

The reason for inaction on the first demand is, indeed, France and especially Germany are tired of subsidizing laggards (not to mention cheaters), though they account for a significant percentage of France's and especially Germany's exports (reflected in debt owed to French and German banks).

The reason for the wrong policy response on the second demand is simply that average workers are scared stiff of global competition and they want to save their welfare states at all costs, even in the face of long-term economic laws.

The Germans are now calculating which is in their best interest: 1) abandon the euro, lose a significant percentage of their regional export market and try to make up for it in the global market or 2) achieve deeper integration in terms of fiscal policy and money supply issuance, but only if the Germans can more or less dictate budget policy in the laggard eurozone members.

They probably have until 1Q12 (3-4 more months) to work it out or break up.

Italy could probably muddle along intact if it returns to the lira, not so sure about Spain and Portugal, while Greece would face the grim prospect of collapse of the real economy as I have defined it.

Once the dust settles, I estimate that standards of living would revert several decades for around 50% of Italy's population, around 70% of Spain's and Portugal's populations, and around 80%-90% of Greece's population.

The details on the ground of how that would work out could indeed become ugly.

They could improve on those percentages, and save the trauma of a currency break-up, if they, in the next 3-4 months, embrace pro-competitiveness/pro-growth policies while at the same time centralize fiscal policy and issuance of money supply.

Don't hold your breath.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 11-28-2011 at 05:20 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 AM

207 posts, read 502,777 times
I don´t know how many times I have seen "Spain is going to fall" in this forum since 2008, and it is always the next one. The worst thing is that "spain probably is going to fall" because the bad marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics