Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Nobody knew the impact of the internet 5 years before it happened. The probability of somethng like that happening again is greater than the whole economy melting down.
Do you believe the Internet was the prime generator of American wealth?

What technology would have the ability to put so many to work?

Technology tends to disenfranchise the majority of the workforce. Creating a have and have not society. Which always ends in violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Guys there is are several forums here. There is a business forum, and their is a survivalist forum.

If you truly think the world is on the fringe of total collapse, with people rioting in the streets, rape and pillage, and dogs and cats living together, and other acts resembling the zombie apocolpyse, then I would throw in the towel on this forum and high-tale it to the survivalist forum. We won't argue. The rest of us will stay here and dicusss business, less the hysteria.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:04 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think so. More a muddling through. You've fallen into the "hysteria" trap where you equate stagnation with collapse. I think things will continue on as they are until the next great boom cycle. Right now is quite similar to how things were in the mid-70s. That was not followed by collapse.
The next big boom will probably be the bombs hitting Iran, or weapons going off to disperse an angry boycotting croud.

The next big boom was suppose to be green energy, but I don't see that happening before war and depression. I don't think its wise to compare the 70s with today.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:31 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post

Our economic system is on the verge of a total collapse.

Here we go again.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Here we go again.!!!!!!!!!!!!
You mean like 1930's, or you don't think the banking fragility, and the repercussions belongs in the Financial forum.

i think that people that invest in the global stock schemes, should be aware of the eventual failure of the too big to fails.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Default The plan is pretty clear now

My CAT investment not even including dividends +69.28%. It was one of the ways I could think of to get my money back. The QEs are leading to dollar carry trade and its clearly flooding the international markets outside of the US and Europe with easy money.I figured CAT would be waiting for it. There is much less debt in these emerging markets including consumer debt. So they are spending money and going into debt.

So that's the plan, the SOBs are just going to debt load the rest of the world and some of those dollars will make it back here to limp us along. The only thing that will slow them down is a rival currency block. Wall street doesn't give a rat's backside about the US. They love it because they can borrow dollars for nothing and load up the rest of the world with debt.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
After living a year in Amazonian Bolivia during the mid-nineties, I find it hard to believe that the world is gonna end tomorrow. I know how tough life can get... and this ain't it.

Maybe in a couple more years; Rome wasn't built in a day and it didn't collapse in a day either. Neither will we.

After all, when the Titanic sunk, trans-Atlantic passenger shipping still went on for decades afterward. It took the invention of the airplane to kill it. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
After living a year in Amazonian Bolivia during the mid-nineties, I find it hard to believe that the world is gonna end tomorrow. I know how tough life can get... and this ain't it.

Maybe in a couple more years; Rome wasn't built in a day and it didn't collapse in a day either. Neither will we.

After all, when the Titanic sunk, trans-Atlantic passenger shipping still went on for decades afterward. It took the invention of the airplane to kill it. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere...
The world never ends. It is well watched over.

Our financial system will collapse.

What takes it's place is a loss of privacy, freedom, and overall touchy feely goodness.

The Titanic reference was in accordance with arrogance before the plunge.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Our financial system will collapse.
I ask again: when?

Anyone can sit here being the internet equivalent of crazy dude with "end of days" signboard, if have a strong enough analysis to predict this why don't you throw out a year? Do you have anything more solid than general open-ended impending doom thread?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
I don't know if we will have a complete collapse or not but we are certainly going to go into a very major recession or depression.
I could definately see another 1930s depression. The water and subways still ran and so to did the schools and hospitals but unemployment soared, real wages and standard of living plunged, and poverty, hunger, and dispair were rampant.
The situation today is not even comparable to the 1970s. Although the 70s was stagnant economically the US was the world's only true economic powerhouse, your currency was the world standard, your manufacturing sector was the world's largest, you didn't have low wage China to compete with, your government and household debt levels were half what they are today, the middle class was the largest it had ever been in your history, your banks were strong and the population was still relatively young as opposed to heading into retirement with the massive medical and social secuity costs that it will bring.
Also the world was a far less "connected" place were a recession in one country didn't neccesarily mean a recession in another. Today our economies and banking sectors are so intwined that a tiny little economy like Greece's { which only represents 3 % of Europes GDP} can bring our entire global banking system to it's knees.
The situation today is much, much, much worse than in the 1970s.
Since the 1980s the western world's growth has, in large part, come from money growth but not growth in productivity or actual wealth. In the last 30 year there has been little real growth in wages or household income when ajusted for inflation yet we ssem to still have more "toys". Our house sizes have soared but the number of people in them has dropped.
How did we achieve this?................it's called debt. We have made the transition from wealth economy to a money economy is a shockingly short amount of time. We have built a global economy based on a pozi scheme were everyone was happy as long as they could pay their debt to the other guy so he could pay his. Now we have just one tiny country on the edge of default and the whole house of cards implodes.
That's the trouble with a debt economy.......if just one person decides to withdraw from the game
and not pay their bills then no one gets paid.
The emporor has no clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics