Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times

Advertisements

I see Obama did at least something about it, including ditching the give away loan guarantees. How does one get a loan guarantee racket like that? I collect interest, but I can't lose. I'll charter my own bank for that. What's the bank doing for us again?

Even better is this idea of capital risk as if modern labor does not take on risk. So basically 100k spend on education and opportunity cost loses will be a high tax because its such a shoe in, but 100k "at risk" in the form of capital needs special consideration. Even worse is college loans do not have bankruptcy protection. So basically college is a high tax investment with enormous risk. Perhaps worse still is what people are getting in education. MBAs still don't see education as capital spending.....?Ever think perhaps a capitalist gave you, the future worker the text book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What's the bank doing for us again?

good question.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post

good question.
Hi Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus,

An all time favorite misdirection of public vs private. The pseudo right winger who is really nothing but a scam artist will sing the praises of private enterprise. Private enterprise needs to be defined as money spent, not money earned. When public money is spent on private enterprise, its the worst of everything. If it comes from a public budget, the sooner its functions are public the better. If its private, then as little public money as possible should be used to fund it especially when its inherently monopolistic. Here is a hierarchy of efficiency.

1. private to private business.
2. public works and regulated monopolies.
3. public to private.

#3 often tries to masquerade as #1. The typical brain dead republican always looks at #2 as is that is the main source of waste completely missing public money spent on private companies who are the ones in control of the republican party... and the democratic party. Can you say Halliburton?

The college loan program was a classic.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 AM

well in practical terms, how do you fund college?

normally i would say, let the states deal with it. However I wonder if having such a direct connection from the printing press to the universities is actually a benefit to the country.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:

normally i would say, let the states deal with it. However I wonder if having such a direct connection from the printing press to the universities is actually a benefit to the country.

That is a good question. How do we fund it without turning into a bidding war? At least the interest on the debt would be recycled into the state for a state charted bank. Some societies don't even make their students pay at all. However that is vulnerable to "brain drain". I would certainly entertain any ideas.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:

Not every education is equal, and not every student loan should have the same rate. You want to go to a top 20 school majoring in economics, computer science, or engineering? Give that person a 3% interest rate. You want to go to a low-ranked state school majoring in art history? Give an 18% interest rate. Manage the risk associated with school loans. Students need to think about the debt before going to school. College is not something everyone should attend, unless they feel they can get a monetary return from it.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Not every education is equal, and not every student loan should have the same rate. You want to go to a top 20 school majoring in economics, computer science, or engineering? Give that person a 3% interest rate. You want to go to a low-ranked state school majoring in art history? Give an 18% interest rate. Manage the risk associated with school loans. Students need to think about the debt before going to school. College is not something everyone should attend, unless they feel they can get a monetary return from it.
so who chooses the rates for different majors?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
so who chooses the rates for different majors?
Projections of payback periods based on post-graduation salaries using statistical forecast models.

Simple mathematical risk management.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Projections of payback periods based on post-graduation salaries using statistical forecast models.

i wouldn't call that simple. you're relying on the modeler to produce a mathematical model that represents real-world phenomenon, and you're relying on the people who managing the input data to do so correctly. Every model bears the assumptions and flaws of the modeler.

who lends the money? private banks? the government?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:

Very funny. My ex-neighbor graduated with a PhD in art history and got three or four job offers. Her husband, a chem engineer (Worcester Polytech) in his thirties, got laid off from a good job and has not been able to find another in his field for over two years. He is working at a local brewery. The son of a student of mine just graduated with a fine arts degree and immediately got a tech job at a TV station, many of his fellow grads are out of work. So much for such theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics