Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:22 PM

20,559 posts, read 19,216,911 times

Advertisements

file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png (broken link)
These bears are having trouble fishing. How do you fix this bear economy?

"Life in Alaska - Doesn't get much better than this" RickinDutch's Profile

The donkey said, "they need more training to improve their fishing skills."
The owl however said, " the fish are easy to catch in a good fishing spot."

The elephant said, "the bears spend too much time making claw marks on the trees."
The owl said, "but there is plenty for fish to feed the bear that makes the claw marks."

"Then why is no one fishing", asks the donkey and the elephant?

The owl said" because the biggest bear is full, and they are his fishing spots."

Please stick with the theme of the thread. You may compare any element in the bear economy to ours but always please reference the players in the bear economy. For example: You may answer what is a fishing spot in the US economy.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 11-14-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,607,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
These bears are having trouble fishing. How do you fix this bear economy?

"Life in Alaska - Doesn't get much better than this" RickinDutch's Profile

The donkey said, "they need more training to improve their fishing skills."
The owl however said, " the fish are easy to catch in a good fishing spot."

The elephant said, "the bears spend too much time making claw marks on the trees."
The owl said, "but there is plenty for fish to feed the bear that makes the claw marks."

"Then why is no one fishing", asks the donkey and the elephant?

The owl said" because the biggest bear is full, and they are his fishing spots."

Please stick with the theme of the thread. You may compare any element in the bear economy to ours but always please reference the players in the bear economy. For example: You may answer what is a fishing spot in the US economy.

donkey = Dems
elephant = Repubs
fishing spot = Fed
Big Bear = big banks
hungry bears with no fishing spot = everyone who can't call up ben bernanke and ask for a loan.

how did i do?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,979,639 times
Quote:

Finally a decent metaphor for trickle down economics. Reducing taxes lets the biggest bear eat more and all we are left with is more bear sh** fertilizer.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
donkey = Dems
elephant = Repubs
fishing spot = Fed
Big Bear = big banks
hungry bears with no fishing spot = everyone who can't call up ben bernanke and ask for a loan.

how did i do?
Not bad

Fishing spots = land, minerals and monopolies.

What would represent capital as in labor in a bottle? Perhaps we need beavers?

I'll have to think about what the Fed would be.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 AM

The problem with the bear economy is that the biggest bear has a monopoly on fishing at the good spots. One way to deal with this is to shoot the biggest bear. That will only lead to a new biggest bear.

Time to go eat berries.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Finally a decent metaphor for trickle down economics. Reducing taxes lets the biggest bear eat more and all we are left with is more bear sh** fertilizer.
What if the big bear was still pretty good at catching fish, meaning 75% of the fish was because of a good fishing spot, but he still gets more fish than a normal bear?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,607,985 times
Quote:
Not bad

Fishing spots = land, minerals and monopolies.

What would represent capital as in labor in a bottle? Perhaps we need beavers?

I'll have to think about what the Fed would be.
to me, the cost of land and minerals are being driven up by the fed, which is why i consider those ideas synonymous.

i suppose the fed is also a monopoly, but in broader terms i think of monopolies as a different problem than asset inflation.

Labor can be represented by the hungry bears.

Who is the owl?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
The problem with the bear economy is that the biggest bear has a monopoly on fishing at the good spots. One way to deal with this is to shoot the biggest bear. That will only lead to a new biggest bear.

Time to go eat berries.

You know some berries store well, especially if they are dried. I know one bear who keeps them in a hollowed out tree with a hornet security system.

Thank you for adding silver to the metaphor. .

Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
What if the big bear was still pretty good at catching fish, meaning 75% of the fish was because of a good fishing spot, but he still gets more fish than a normal bear?
Then he is the idol rich. He doesn't have to work as hard to eat. More time to play and dominate the other bears.

The weakest bear that is a klutz and can't fish he needs to be fishing in the good spot. Let the big bear spend his time fishing where the fish aren't as plentiful so that everyone has a good shake at the fish. On the other hand let the weak die and the strong servive. But if all the bears pick on the biggest one at the same time then the biggest one losses.

In monkey society there are two ways to be top monkey one is to be the biggest meanest monkey around. The other is to have lots of friends. The biggest bear will live longer if he makes friends with the other bears and shares the fishing spots to the benefit of all.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
to me, the cost of land and minerals are being driven up by the fed, which is why i consider those ideas synonymous.

i suppose the fed is also a monopoly, but in broader terms i think of monopolies as a different problem than asset inflation.
Asset inflation without wage inflation transfers wealth to those with money.
Quote:

Labor can be represented by the hungry bears.
All the bears that are hungry want to do is to work ate getting food to eat.
Quote:

Who is the owl?
http://boombustblog.com/BoomBustBlog...U-With-It.html I think that he is the owl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics