Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,351,808 times

Advertisements

I hope this is right section to post in. I'm going to be moving next year and for awhile now I've been trying to decide where, and now I have a pretty good idea of where. Most of the cities on my short list have pretty good economies and low unemployment rates.

My question, should I not even consider places that have a higher employment rate closer to the national average or even higher than that? I'm 21 and not in school, so I won't be looking for a corporate job of any kind. Full-time service job similar to what I am doing now.

I'm going to have about a year's worth of savings, but I wasn't sure if the unemployment rate would even affect me. I don't know very much about this economy stuff, so no idea if it would make my chances harder given the type of jobs I'll be looking for.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,565,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Most of the cities on my short list have pretty good economies and low unemployment rates.
Where in America are these exactly?

Quote:
I'm 21 and not in school...
I'm going to have about a year's worth of savings...
Somehow I suspect that pile of cash won't last 3 months.

Don't move until you have an actual offer that will allow you to learn something useful and pay you enough to live on.

hth

Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Where in America are these exactly?

Somehow I suspect that pile of cash won't last 3 months.

Don't move until you have an actual offer that will allow you to learn something useful and pay you enough to live on.

hth
Good to know I can't ask a simple question on here without someone trying to show how superior they are.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:40 PM

29,667 posts, read 24,706,439 times
I would recommend a job offer in any place you can find one, BUT... If it's a place with high unemployment, consider renting for the foreseeable future. You don't wanna be stuck someplace where unemployment is high. Wages plummet when searching, and it may become more attractive to up and out leave again.

That's how I did it. Chicago is not the greatest place to find a job right now. Some of the wages offered are laughable for even the most professional of jobs. If I lost my job tomorrow, I would be outta here next week. Why sell your time for less than you can earn elsewhere?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,567,328 times
Quote:
Good to know I can't ask a simple question on here without someone trying to show how superior they are.
You did not ask simple questions...

For example:
Quote:
I'm going to have about a year's worth of savings
Means almost nothing..... ABout three years ago, my wife, who handles our money, was able to save $49,000 in one year. We can't do that again...

Rich

Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,253,078 times
Quote:
I hope this is right section to post in. I'm going to be moving next year and for awhile now I've been trying to decide where, and now I have a pretty good idea of where. Most of the cities on my short list have pretty good economies and low unemployment rates.

My question, should I not even consider places that have a higher employment rate closer to the national average or even higher than that? I'm 21 and not in school, so I won't be looking for a corporate job of any kind. Full-time service job similar to what I am doing now.

I'm going to have about a year's worth of savings, but I wasn't sure if the unemployment rate would even affect me. I don't know very much about this economy stuff, so no idea if it would make my chances harder given the type of jobs I'll be looking for.

Thanks!
Well, the unemployment rate is certainly one thing to take into account when moving--but not the only thing. Keep in mind, as people get layed off from corporate positions, they may end up competing with you for the jobs you plan to apply for.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,506,102 times
Quote:
Kid, sometimes we do have have snarky attitudes on here. Sometimes Mr. Rat does, and sometimes I do.

He was not giving you attitude on that. He was giving you caution. You are in a hard position. Use due caution. Even the military is getting a BIG haircut coming up. Means there are going to a buttload of Vets you will soon be "competing" with, as well.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,385,217 times
Personally, other than North Dakota oil boom country, I wouldn't consider moving anywhere I didn't already have a job lined up, unless you expect to get by on minimum wage. Minimum wage places are always hiring.

I assume when you say you have a year's savings, you mean you have a year's expenses in savings, but I also assume that is a year's expenses where you are now, which may have no bearing whatsoever on expenses where you end up.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM

I see now that I might have posted this in the wrong section. Given how I'm misunderstood and the expectations of other people and their standards.

By year's savings, I did mean that I have a year's expenses. And not a year's expenses of where I am now, but where I end up. And finding a job before I move? Not even a 1 percent chance. And yes, minimum wage or something a little higher. There's no way I'm going to not move. People do this everyday, I even know some of them. It's not unheard of like some of you are saying, especially for this kind of situation.

I was just asking if I'd be better off moving to a city currently on my list that has a lower unemployment rate, or if I should be able to take a look at another city not on my list where things aren't so strong over there.

But I understand this is the business section, where people are going to give safe advice. And I guess I should have expected that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics