U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,783,694 times

Advertisements

'Patriotic Millionaires' Beg Supercommittee for Higher Taxes - Yahoo! News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM

3,474 posts, read 4,320,443 times
If they want to pay more, no one is holding back from donating their money to the government but I do not think they should try to force others what to do with their earned money. Take care.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:09 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,256,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
If they want to pay more, no one is holding back from donating their money to the government but I do not think they should try to force others what to do with their earned money. Take care.
Agreed. All these "wealthy" people that complain they aren't paying enough could send extra money to the government but they never do. If they want to give the government more money to waste then they can. For me, I don't want to pay any more taxes. I might be inclined to pay a little more if the government wasn't wasteful and knew what they were doing, but at this point they just corrupt themselves.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 PM

18,985 posts, read 21,065,067 times
I'd pay more for a balanced budget... but if you give the government a dollar, they run out and spend $1.50. I also disagree with what they use most of our tax dollars for. Turns out Homeland Security does a much better job of stopping people from importing gray market cars than it does at stopping actual terrorists.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Agreed. All these "wealthy" people that complain they aren't paying enough could send extra money to the government but they never do. If they want to give the government more money to waste then they can. For me, I don't want to pay any more taxes. I might be inclined to pay a little more if the government wasn't wasteful and knew what they were doing, but at this point they just corrupt themselves.
That reminded me of something I read somewhere.

You never trust your money to children, thieves, and politicians.

Take care.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM

28,460 posts, read 80,775,148 times
My suggestion would be for these fortunate souls to a) give more to the IRS b) donate more to charity c) set up a PAC to support candidates / cauases that theybelieve in d) start a foundation

How is it that people are ” outraged” that wealth is concentrated but the don't blink that perhaps the most powerful bicameral committee ever has time to waste listening to such a tiny group? Cripes I think my poker buddy has had more than 45 guys in his basement for our March Madness blowup...

Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 PM

13,269 posts, read 12,457,688 times
Quote:
This is a disingenuous argument that is frequently advanced by diehard conservatives opposed to any tax increase. Let me point out the obvious, individual effort--without systemic change--is not going to result in any real improvement. If I follow the logic you are using here, I shouldn't advocate any changes in any laws at all even when I see great injustices being perpetrated. Rather, I should simply try to conform my own personal behavior to some personal moral standard. Fat chance that will fix anything.

Groups of all sorts frequently lobby the government for changes in laws that affect all of us. Should they be prohibited from doing so? Heck no. If a legislator feels the law they are suggesting is inappropriate, he should vote against it. I'm sure many legislators will oppose any tax increase. If a majority are in favor, let the majority rule on that issue.

Finally, do you feel the portion of government spending being used for Social Security, Medicare, and Defense is wasteful and unnecessary? That plus the interest we pay on the nation debt is approximately 70% of the money your federal government is spending.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,048,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Yeah, just force the lower classes to pay taxes instead of them.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yeah, just force the lower classes to pay taxes instead of them.
I can see that there is some missinformation out there. Actually, the masses are easy to missinform by politicians that know how to pull the victim card. Take care.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,263,385 times
give more money for what?

crony capitalism?

enriching the kleptocracy?

bailing out yet more crooks?

look at what is going on in the world.

fix the damn system first.

otherwise, you are throwing even more good money after bad, and it isn't going to end well.

i see that as the single biggest difference between the tea party and OWS-the tea party wants to defund the kleptocracy while the OWS movement would actually grow the kleptocracy by not addressing the issue of government corruption first.
look at this story for just one:
http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/02/obamas-green-subsidies-attract-do-gooder-bandits (broken link)

Last edited by floridasandy; 11-18-2011 at 04:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics