Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:40 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times

Advertisements

I am saddened by the large number of stores that have decided to be open on Thanksgiving Day. Many are opening at 9:00 am and staying open all day.

I feel it is unfortunate that many workers who are forced to work this holiday will not be able to spend the time with their family and loved ones. Some will argue that they can find another job, choose to take the day off, etc., but that is not necessarily the case.

Do we really need to commercialize one of the few holidays left that has a primary focus on family and giving thanks?

I hope that people decide not to visit these stores today so that they rethink this practice in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
I agree it's excessive and disappointing. That's why I won't be participating as a shopper. If enough Americans feel the same way, the retailers will get the message.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:37 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

Do we really need to commercialize one of the few holidays left that has a primary focus on family and giving thanks?
Yes of course. We must serve what we truly worship.

America, one Nation, under the dollar.

How could Babylon be any different?

Quote:
I hope that people decide not to visit these stores today so that they rethink this practice in the future.
At this point even the Amish are a target.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
In truth, Thanksgiving Day is not that ancient "it's a day off" holiday, it was a typical work day (unless you were a federal government employee) all way into early 20th century. Considering what garbage retailers peddle these days (that includes scary looking and rubber tasting birds), even 24/7/365 operations will not make me to buy more. I had no "guts" to buy a turkey for 11 years already, the Thanksgiving dining experience multiplied by lack of taste and strong suspicion of chemical "enhancements" is greatly exaggerated.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Yeah, unless you are a grocery store, you should be decent and not make your employees work. Only the one chain store here (meijer) is always open 24/7 every single holiday. All the other chains are only open til 3 on Thanksgiving.
The whole black Friday thing turns me off, it was bad enough at 3am or whatever but now they are opening at 9pm Thanksgiving night. I will not be participating in the madness. The favorable attention given to the consumerism makes me ill. Now tomorrow, how many reports on the news are we going to hear about people getting trampled or beat up....

Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
It's the same as Drug smuggling on the border. If no one was buying it would die. Stay home with your family and urge your friends and family to do the same

Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 AM

We've purchased our turkey from a local farm that uses feed that it grows organically. These farms are key components of our community. I know that this is not an option for everyone since it is more expensive than the supermarket offering but we feel it's worth it to us.

Perhaps we, as a society, wouldn't be facing as many problems if we had more slow "thanks giving days" to focus on family, friends, and relationships.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I am saddened by the large number of stores that have decided to be open on Thanksgiving Day. Many are opening at 9:00 am and staying open all day.

I feel it is unfortunate that many workers who are forced to work this holiday will not be able to spend the time with their family and loved ones. Some will argue that they can find another job, choose to take the day off, etc., but that is not necessarily the case.

If stores must be open, the employees should be paid double-time. Make it worth their while.

The cashier at my grocery store said they won't get paid holiday pay, just regular.

I think grocers should be open on Thanksgiving, but other retail stores? No.

However, some people may not consider Thanksgiving a family day because they aren't close to family, or their family is gone, or far away. This holiday may hurt them, and they may really WANT to work to get their mind off their losses. Work may be healing for them. If that's the case, it's fine that the stores are open today (for their sake).

Old 11-24-2011, 09:38 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
The very meaning of Thanksgiving is lost when it becomes all about putting dollars before other aspects of community.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
If stores must be open, the employees should be paid double-time. Make it worth their while.

The cashier at my grocery store said they won't get paid holiday pay, just regular.

I think grocers should be open on Thanksgiving, but other retail stores? No.

However, some people may not consider Thanksgiving a family day because they aren't close to family, or their family is gone, or far away. This holiday may hurt them, and they may really WANT to work to get their mind off their losses. Work may be healing for them. If that's the case, it's fine that the stores are open today (for their sake).
Many grocery stores and some restaurants have always been open on Thanksgiving. I used to have to work at McDonalds on Thanksgiving. However, they all closed by 1 or 2 so people could eat with their families.

Now it's nonstop hawking junk. Many are forced to work or face losing their job. Fewer companies are recognizing holidays and not giving holiday pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics