U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 PM
 
5,409 posts, read 10,329,247 times
Reputation: 4478

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I have a 401K and Roth IRA so I can retire early and live a lavishing life in retirement. I also have a after-tax account that I trade. There is lot of money to be made. You can make money in any type of markets.

"Retire early and live a lavishing life in retirement."

So the objective is to do nothing? I mean doing nothing is the goal? Just trying to understand the thinking.

Sure on making money. Lots of ways to make lots of money. I just could not find the appeal of sending money to folks on Wall Street, all in the hopes they will send you more back.

But you are sort of locked in to that (non?) choice because of employment status and 401K and Roth IRA tax programs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,514 posts, read 21,962,850 times
Reputation: 8720
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Clearly the answer is an orgy of mass panic followed by ritual suicides.
Either that or Buy Gold
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,923,092 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
"Retire early and live a lavishing life in retirement."

So the objective is to do nothing? I mean doing nothing is the goal? Just trying to understand the thinking.

Sure on making money. Lots of ways to make lots of money. I just could not find the appeal of sending money to folks on Wall Street, all in the hopes they will send you more back.

But you are sort of locked in to that (non?) choice because of employment status and 401K and Roth IRA tax programs?
What do you mean? That is my goal. Making money on Wall Street is much less work the Main street.

401K and IRA's have tax advantages.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 PM
 
5,409 posts, read 10,329,247 times
Reputation: 4478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What do you mean? That is my goal. Making money on Wall Street is much less work the Main street.

Just trying to follow the thinking was all.

Not a right or wrong in it, just different than mine, so I asked, as I did not understand it.

Quote:
401K and IRA's have tax advantages.
Sure. Understand. And business has others. Play the cards you are dealt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,923,092 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Just trying to follow the thinking was all.

Not a right or wrong in it, just different than mine, so I asked, as I did not understand it.



Sure. Understand. And business has others. Play the cards you are dealt.
What are your financial goals?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 PM
 
5,409 posts, read 10,329,247 times
Reputation: 4478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What are your financial goals?
hmmm, sorry to be a retard . . . but what IS a financial goal?

You mean like so many $xyz in the bank?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 PM
 
Location: southern california
61,268 posts, read 79,365,381 times
Reputation: 55413
Sad that what he has said is true but our collective denial does not allow for discussion
Much easier to dismiss the op
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Ohio
22,798 posts, read 15,928,648 times
Reputation: 19273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Sad that what he has said is true but our collective denial does not allow for discussion
Much easier to dismiss the op
1. The Economy will "Collapse."
2. The economiccollapseblog.barf says so
3. Spamwad posted it, so it must be true.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
20,192 posts, read 23,715,990 times
Reputation: 27940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
We are not even in a Recession. Plus unemployment just went down to 8.6%.
I trust the accuracy of unemployment rates as much as I do any half-sentence that Hermann Cain utters in a speech!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 05:42 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,923,092 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
hmmm, sorry to be a retard . . . but what IS a financial goal?

You mean like so many $xyz in the bank?
No, you personal goal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top