Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Folk's like you just can't stand it that ,in time, I may be right so you try to demean me as a person to deflect a truth you, and folks like you, are in denial about.

Your loss.............
No loss.

Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day. There's a difference between screaming "Collapse" based on guesses, and reviewing data, crunching numbers and drawing conclusions based on an analysis of the data.

My expertise is not in banking or finance, but Greece is not the East India Trading Company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 03:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day...

It's very true that by continuing to "predict" collapse, you may one day turn out to be right. Is that day today, tomorrow, next week, next year, next decade, who knows. It's like all of those doomsday end of the world folks, one day they will be right, they just don't reall know when.

Of course, I could also choke all of it up to self fulfulling prophecy as well. The more people that think were all f'd the likelihood of us all being f'd goes up. The economy is as much about peoples attitude towards it as it is about products, money and the Fed.

So, "knock it off with all those negative waves, Moriarty".

"woof, woof...that's my other dog impression."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No loss.

Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day. There's a difference between screaming "Collapse" based on guesses, and reviewing data, crunching numbers and drawing conclusions based on an analysis of the data.

My expertise is not in banking or finance, but Greece is not the East India Trading Company.
I am what I am and I plan to stay that way!

I'm to damn old to change my ways now!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:16 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
That is true, IQ is relatively constant.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
I am what I am and I plan to stay that way!

I'm to damn old to change my ways now!
Unfortunately, it is not illegal, but it is still immoral and unethical to mislead people and prey on their fears for profit and gain.

There's no difference between people like you and predatory consumers, oops, um, I meant to say predatory lenders, or predatory realtors or the Wall Street Crowd (assuming they actually did something), cultists or the idiot survivalists and the 2012 Doomsayers.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Unfortunately, it is not illegal, but it is still immoral and unethical to mislead people and prey on their fears for profit and gain.

There's no difference between people like you and predatory consumers, oops, um, I meant to say predatory lenders, or predatory realtors or the Wall Street Crowd (assuming they actually did something), cultists or the idiot survivalists and the 2012 Doomsayers.
Tread lightly here, mate. You're getting very close to a personal insult.

We wouldn't want that now would we?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Honestly, I'm consistently surprised that it hasn't all come down already. There is every reason for a collapse, yet civilization stubbornly refuses to fall down, almost contrary to the laws of physics.

I'm never gonna get to use my hockey mask and leather strap g-string at this rate!

Seriously though, doomers seriously underestimate the power of the dark side... civilization will change, but won't collapse as long as the USA remains at the top of the world garbage heap and can dictate the rules to everyone else. They can literally run the dollar into the ground... and and when it inevitably goes, they will just make up another currency and start again. Money is NOT wealth; it is a lie that everyone accepts because they have no other choice. Wealth is in the ability to access, transport and distribute resources, and the USA still controls the vast majority (at least indirectly) of the world's real wealth.

I am certain the Man will instigate WW3 and attempt to vilify and destroy any country that dares to make a go for the top too; that is my greatest fear; as we now have enough weapons to turn the world into a smoking, radioactive cinder ringed by clouds of VX gas with nothing left alive that can be seen without a microscope in less than a day.

My running tinfoil hat theory is that the looting of the middle class and complete debt madness is not just an unintended consequence, the fallout from bad policy and/or the result of cause and effect, nor the precursor to the end of the country but is a purposeful, slow moving strategy to decrease the use of resources that are becoming ever scarcer in a world that is finite but that will double in population over the next 50 years or so.

The US middle class is the single greatest wasteful consumer base in the world; it's brutal, but if we all consumed as much as say, Chinese peasants the world might be able to support another 5-10 billion people. And since the campaign to make "green living" cool has pretty much failed, a more intense strategy has become necessary.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,903 times
Good stuff Chango. Sometimes the mass of people do not know and really may not understand the real threat here...Threats of exterminating the USA will probably be just threats and I believe all humans should have teams of locals to team together and rediscover our "resources" such as water and food stuff for a future of problem seeking herds of hoodlums...

Aluminum foil hats could be for the good of some but not me. Here is a true story.

As a former govt. employee I use to got to some offices throughout the Philly area to see how things were going. During those times I became friendly with some Real Estate investors and there was one guy who married a female Med Student...
On their honeymoon the woman encountered some crazy things the guy did and as she was at lunch, she told me her husband spread aluminum foil over the ceiling of the room...She told me when she finished lunch their hotel room was bright and shiny, much to her amazment he told her to put on an aluminum foil hat he made to keep away gamma rays .....
She caught the next plane to Philly and I saw her packing up as she told me what happened. The guy sold the place and I didn't see him again....

Anyway, moving to the woods and living off the land may be a good thing to ready oneself for the things yet to come. I am a wounded Vietnam Vet and dehydrated food is not new to me so I have 240 days worth of this kind of food... A manual water purifier is also on my list as things to get asap.

You make sense to me in your post and I don't believe I am nutso, yet.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,386,523 times
Quote:
Folk's like you just can't stand it that ,in time, I may be right so you try to demean me as a person to deflect a truth you, and folks like you, are in denial about.

Your loss.............
You spend a lot of energy on doomsday scenarios and prophecy. Imagine what you could accomplish if you put that energy toward something postitive and constructive. Life is short; make the best of it.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
You spend a lot of energy on doomsday scenarios and prophecy. Imagine what you could accomplish if you put that energy toward something postitive and constructive. Life is short; make the best of it.
There really isn't much in the way of positive to work with today.

That said, If you can name some positive stuff to work with being it on!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:52 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
There really isn't much in the way of positive to work with today.
That says a lot about what you are and why you are obsessed with spreading word of impending doom... that must suck to be you living in your wretched paranoid existence. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics