Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,433,098 times

Advertisements

In the past, I'd answer these calls and play along.. sometimes even harass them (when I was in my teens.) Nowadays, I'll just hang up right when they identify themselves as an unsolicited salesperson.

It sames me time. It saves them time. The longer the call goes, the more difficult it is for me to end the conversation short so I just end it right there.

What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,746,174 times
Me too. As soon as I realize it's someone trying to sell me something I politely say: "I don't buy from solicitors" and hang up.The same thing goes for door-to-door salesmen.

I don't care what they are peddling, I hate that sales tactic and refuse to even consider any product that is advertisted to me that way.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,436 times
I strongly feel it depends. If you own a business and someone is selling advertising it is imperative to listen. I am a sales rep for a company that is dong applications for smartphones. That is brand new to offer to small businesses and since technology is changing everything it is imperative to go with the flow of the change because that is where the people are.
Now if someone says "No" so be it but don't shout no and then only to complain down the line that your business is not drawing the traffic. You wouldn't advertise at a Football Stadium during Baseball season, right? You need to be where the people are.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:57 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,963,614 times
I haven't had a call from a telemarketer in years. I wonder if it's because I only have my cell phone. Regardless, I'd probably just tell them I'm not interested and hang up. Must be a tough job with all that rejection.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 AM

410 posts, read 741,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
In the past, I'd answer these calls and play along.. sometimes even harass them (when I was in my teens.) Nowadays, I'll just hang up right when they identify themselves as an unsolicited salesperson.

It sames me time. It saves them time. The longer the call goes, the more difficult it is for me to end the conversation short so I just end it right there.

What do you do?
In most cases, if you hang up on a telemarketer they will just add you to the call back list unless you specifically tell them not to call back or to remove you from their call list. I worked for a telemarketing company for one summer several years ago. Luckily, I wasn't in the department that made sales calls.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,082,577 times
Quote:
What do you do?
I used to keep them on the phone as long as possible before the Do Not Call option was available. It wastes their time and perhaps keeps them from harassing someone else.

Too bad there's no interactive software available to deal with them. That would be real fun.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:40 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,970,587 times
I'm on the Do Not Call list but that just opens me up to charity and surveys and a few unethical businesses that don't heed the Do Not Call list. I just say "please take me off your calling list" and quickly hang up. The ones that really **** me off are the automated calls that call all the time, both commercial and political. I wish I could get ahold of one of their home numbers!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:42 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,204,126 times
Quote:

What do you do?
I get on the national DO NOT CALL list.....works pretty good...

Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,199,087 times
I stopped answering my phone several years ago. It's liberating!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM

37,084 posts, read 42,062,039 times
I say "I'm sorry I can't help" to those looking for donations and then hang up before they can respond. Being on the DO NOT CALL list helped for awhile but they seem to be working around it. Caller ID is a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics