Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Pertinent points all, but you left out the biggest factor of all: property taxes are going to soar because government is broke and has to milk the few remaining cows harder.
I'd be fine with high property taxes. Low property taxes always leave land values high which are then purchased on credit converting a tax revenue into an interest payment to a bank.

We are broke because we handed all the money to the bankers. The government did that because they left taxes too low and let the bankers have all the money which they converted into political clout. With that political clout they were bailed out. We don't pay taxes. We pay interest which is a banker tax and this tax has given us our unelected government. Now its a giant unstoppable squid because people thought they should make money just buying a house. Now they are slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I'd be fine with high property taxes. Low property taxes always leave land values high which are then purchased on credit converting a tax revenue into an interest payment to a bank.

We are broke because we handed all the money to the bankers. The government did that because they left taxes too low and let the bankers have all the money which they converted into political clout. With that political clout they were bailed out. We don't pay taxes. We pay interest which is a banker tax and this tax has given us our unelected government. Now its a giant unstoppable squid because people thought they should make money just buying a house. Now they are slaves.
Your statements are at odd with each other.

My Grandparents have had their home paid off for over 35 years, but they must pay the government over $6K/Year to keep their home...

Otherwise it is stolen from them by the Gov't.

So much for the Conn guarontee to be 'safe in our homes'

The underlined portion... is so 'out there' I don't even know where to begin!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That is not why.

The value of housing inflated because of interference in the market. Interest rates were artificially kept low, there was an excess of credit, and then the government tried to crow-bar people into housing.

It inflated because it's the only place those financial wizards could exploit.
Because we make less and less in this country every year. Ergo...no business to loan to. How about hitting that housing equity...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Your statements are at odd with each other.

My Grandparents have had their home paid off for over 35 years, but they must pay the government over $6K/Year to keep their home...

The underlined portion... is so 'out there' I don't even know where to begin!

And the effect of them staying in a high value lot is to take up space that could be used by a worker. They need to pay the real cost. Had this been the case they would not have had taxes on their labor or capital and then they could choose to pay the real cost. In your model you will have all the housing around a factory occupied by retirees while workers commute in taking an hour.

Why is labor and someone's stuff considered public property? I am not even safe in my own skin because in your model I would be taxed on the moon.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
And the effect of them staying in a high value lot is to take up space that could be used by a worker.
EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!! They live in a neighborhood full of other retirees who have all lived there since they moved there to work for the GE plant which has long since closed. They were the 3rd house in the neighborhood!
ANOTHER WORKER... !!!! WTF!

-That aside... It's THEIRS! I don't care if someone wants to build a highrise hotel. Property rights are the bedrock of freedom this country WAS founded upon. (Safe in your home etc.)

Quote:
They need to pay the real cost.
REAL COST!!! Paying for it, building the house over forty years ago isn't it!?!

Do tell

Quote:
Had this been the case they would not have had taxes on their labor or capital and then they could choose to pay the real cost.
I don't know what crack your smoking, or where you get this 'real cost' bit from... but look forward to you trying to explain yourself...

Quote:
In your model you will have all the housing around a factory occupied by retirees while workers commute in taking an hour.
Please show me where I said ANY such thing...

Other than that, a BRIEF look around will show that most do not do this. They move to where they WANTED to, but could not do so due to work.

Quote:
Why is labor and someone's stuff considered public property?
??? Not by me if that's what your saying... explain please

Quote:
I am not even safe in my own skin because in your model I would be taxed on the moon.
Ummm, (Looks back) I can't see ANY model I espouse... but since you ask I am in favor of the original limited government and almost no taxes.
DEFINITELY not on the moon.

Are you sure you are responding to the correct post?

I await your explanations.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!! They live in a neighborhood full of other retirees who have all lived there since they moved there to work for the GE plant which has long since closed. They were the 3rd house in the neighborhood!
ANOTHER WORKER... !!!! WTF!

-That aside... It's THEIRS! I don't care if someone wants to build a highrise hotel. Property rights are the bedrock of freedom this country WAS founded upon. (Safe in your home etc.)

REAL COST!!! Paying for it, building the house over forty years ago isn't it!?!

Do tell

I don't know what crack your smoking, or where you get this 'real cost' bit from... but look forward to you trying to explain yourself...

Please show me where I said ANY such thing...

Other than that, a BRIEF look around will show that most do not do this. They move to where they WANTED to, but could not do so due to work.

??? Not by me if that's what your saying... explain please

Ummm, (Looks back) I can't see ANY model I espouse... but since you ask I am in favor of the original limited government and almost no taxes.
DEFINITELY not on the moon.

Are you sure you are responding to the correct post?

I await your explanations.

You basically told a Georgist influenced economist to be careful of a land value tax. That is the only explanation you should need. Any model that does not seek land value taxes as the main source of revenue implies all the others.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
You basically told a Georgist influenced economist to be careful of a land value tax.
No

Quote:
That is the only explanation you should need.
No

Quote:
Any model that does not seek land value taxes as the main source of revenue implies all the others.
And no

Old 12-16-2011, 03:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:

The federal gov't is not taking their money. Their municipality is. Their schools and public library (especially if new construction), the town administrators and their salaries and benefits, and their local amenities (streetlights, trash pickup, snow plowing) are what is taking their money. If they cannot afford $6K in taxes (many seniors cannot), they should move. To a place that already has their new school and library built and yet shows low taxes, and some kind of Proposition to keep them from rising out of sight.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Gee you mean the NAR are a bunch of liars? Tell me it ain't so..
Damn, wake up people, if the NAR says anything you can bet your bottom dollar that you cannot believe it.
Housing is in the toilet no matter what anyone says. And it isn't comming back in this decade.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Gee you mean the NAR are a bunch of liars? Tell me it ain't so..
Damn, wake up people, if the NAR says anything you can bet your bottom dollar that you cannot believe it.
Housing is in the toilet no matter what anyone says. And it isn't comming back in this decade.
Depends what you mean by "coming back". If by that you mean 2005 level, we can only hope they don't return. Those prices were a complete fluke, and never should have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics