U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM

17,971 posts, read 16,446,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There are plenty of jobs that won't move offshore. Maybe he has one of those.
I always thought a plumber was the definition of such a job. Even they are having a rough time in this economy though. I could hire one for about $13/hr pretty easily right now if I ever needed one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,436,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I always thought a plumber was the definition of such a job. Even they are having a rough time in this economy though. I could hire one for about $13/hr pretty easily right now if I ever needed one.
Is plumbing offshored? There's plenty of other jobs as well. I have two preschool/daycare centers.... my employees are fairly safe from their jobs going overseas. I don't see parents sending their kids offshore for daycare.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:15 PM

18,668 posts, read 18,081,045 times
They are getting there, and like us, it is a several generation long process. Their pollution is bad; we deal with contractors there (so I don't need pictures), and I would not want to live there. But for the workers, that is still a step up. And even if just 1/4 of China reaches the middle class, that will be several hundred million new consumers who have pent up demand. Plus the new commercial construction pace is incredible.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 PM

19,011 posts, read 26,898,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
@Antlered, good for you! but don't gloat on your laurels just yet... eventually the outsourcing thing will catch up with you as well and then you will lose your job!

If you think you are so intelligent that someone in India cannot do your job for half your salary you are just wrong! It's just a matter of time
Lack of professional complacency is the first rule to continued improvisation. When it's offshoreable, I'll be sitting on something else, I'm just saying.

But the month of December, I cashed out trading proceeds which happened to be more than my monthly pay. I didn't end up touching the salary account. With such two-pronged income generation capability, why should I think about "cheaper" countries and "evil" corporations?

If I can do it, why can't others do it? Something wrong there.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM

3,327 posts, read 3,790,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Lack of professional complacency is the first rule to continued improvisation. When it's offshoreable, I'll be sitting on something else, I'm just saying.

But the month of December, I cashed out trading proceeds which happened to be more than my monthly pay. I didn't end up touching the salary account. With such two-pronged income generation capability, why should I think about "cheaper" countries and "evil" corporations?

If I can do it, why can't others do it? Something wrong there.
You're obviously doing something right and even though I'm fairly young (mid twenties), I have the same thought process as yourself regarding work.

On the other hand, a capitalist economy dictates that not everyone can be well off. Keeping that in mind, it the becomes a question of the most optimal structure of society.

Do I want to live in a country with a high GINI coefficient? Do I want to live in a country where the Government redistributes wealth through taxes? Do I want to live in a country where the government redistributes wealth through employment and trade laws?

Maybe you'd be fine living in a country like India where a billionaire built a skyscraper overlooking slums.To each their own but I'd rather live in a more just society even if that means I earn less over the course of my lifetime.

We already have an economy that is by some accounts up to a third dependent on government via direct government jobs or indirect contracts.
I'd much rather have the government incentivizing domestic private employment than compensating for lack of it.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 01-22-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 PM

22,798 posts, read 15,933,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
"Within five years, the cost gap between the United States and China to produce many goods consumed in North America will be virtually closed, according to a recent report from the Boston Consulting Group."
They're full of crap, too.

The reason to off-shore is not to make it profit in the US; it is to compete in emerging markets. You off-shore to China to sell in Asia/Oceana. Ford is not building a plant in India to export cars to the US; Ford is building a plant in India to sell cars in India and make a profit, instead of exporting them from the US to India and losing their shirt.

These facilities are state-of-the-art, and their production rates are much higher than US production rates, and that typically results in a surplus of products, which are then exported to the US. There are a few idiots who didn't understand the program and off-shored jobs thinking they'd take advantage of labor without taking the supply chain into consideration. The bozo that makes beer taps comes to mind. It's a good thing he's president of his own private company, because he'd never make it as a CEO.

It doesn't really matter, because as soon as BRIC gets sub-Saharan Africa going, all the jobs will be headed there to sell in that market. That's even located closer and costs less to export to the US, and then too, BRIC is developing Central Asia and the Middle East right now, so don't expect much of a change.

Laughing at the idiot Boston consulting group....

Mircea

Old 01-23-2012, 07:10 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,195,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
eventually the outsourcing thing will catch up with you as well and then you will lose your job!
Yup, I remember people saying exactly this about software developers about ten years ago. Yet here we are, with more well-paying programmer jobs than ever right here in the US.

See you in ten years.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM

22,164 posts, read 38,693,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yup, I remember people saying exactly this about software developers about ten years ago. Yet here we are, with more well-paying programmer jobs than ever right here in the US.

See you in ten years.
I know that Geographic Information Systems jobs are going overseas. The globalized marketplace is favouring Indian software programs. The growth of H1B visas here in the USA has been a documented fact as well. I am certified in GIS and have a degree in that area. Needless to say, I will be looking for a different career field as I reinvent myself again...

Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM

6,899 posts, read 9,677,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

See you in ten years.
huh? IT paid more in 2000 it does now, the contracting rates have plummeted and the salaries have dipped by 20-30% inflation adjusted.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM

22,164 posts, read 38,693,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I know that Geographic Information Systems jobs are going overseas. The globalized marketplace is favouring Indian software programs. The growth of H1B visas here in the USA has been a documented fact as well. I am certified in GIS and have a degree in that area. Needless to say, I will be looking for a different career field as I reinvent myself again...
And here is just one example.

GIScareers.com - GIS Jobs and Resumes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics