Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 20,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Personally, I'll work more than 40 hours a week, if I feel I'm getting compensated for working that extra time.

I have too many options, (both public sector and private sector), to be forced to take anyone's bullsh*t. I'll work over 40 hours, whenever I start my own business, and actually reap the rewards of profitability.

I get a kick out of the people who take pride in working 70, 80 hour weeks. My brother works 100+ hour weeks in the hospital, and as far as I'm concerned he's getting screwed by the lack of market competition in his field.
How many of these people are actually doing work for 70 or 80 hours a week or just appearing as though they are working? I've known some who just stay in the office to avoid going home to their family and actually get less than 40 hours of work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
It's clear people have different motivations. Personally, I'm not driven to make more and more money. I'm satisfied with what I make, live within my means, save, and have a generous amount of time off to enjoy my outdoor passions. I could make it a goal to make more and more money, but I'd have to give up so much of what I value to do so. And then, what do I really gain? More money, but so? Does that extra money give me the ability to enjoy what I value in life? No, the money I make now allows for that with the bonus of having the time to do so. Plus, the more money one gets, the more they want. Time, however, is fleeting. Once a moment is gone, it's gone forever. If I was hurting for money, sure I'd work more. But I'm not. I truly feel I have found what eludes many: 'balance'. And now I will never, ever give that up without a fight.

I used to be a workaholic in my 20's. Was out of town an average of 83-95 hours each and every week for work, month after month, year after year. Lesson learned; never again.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
For those of you that want to work over 40 hours a week - good for you. For those of you that don't want to work over 40 hours a week but do - you are a chump. I have been with my current company 10+ years and almost never work over 40 hours. If the work load calls for it or a project comes up I'm happy to do it but never on a consistent basis. I value my time with my family too much.
Ditto. I don't have kids but I need my me time. Call me lazy if you want. They work less than 40 hours in Europe right?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
I work 45-50 hours a week, which includes a half saturday of work while we are busy.

Not as bad as others, though my job is physically demanding.

I had a job where I worked 66 hours weekly, too. That was difficult.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
It is inconceivable that two people with young children would be able to leave the house at 5:30 am and arrive home after 6:00 pm as well as working both Saturday and Sunday if they have young children. That would require a live-in nanny as most day care facilities do not open at 5:30 am or provide weekend coverage. Even if they were open it is not appropriate as children at that age need more sleep to meet their developmental needs.

If I worked seven days a week it would put an undue burden on my spouse and would most likely lead my children to question their importance in my life.

The fact of the matter is that many businesses are abusing the "salaried worker" using the classification as a way to get around paying overtime and hiring additional employees. When the employment market turns, the worst abusers will find themselves losing many of their best employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics