Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

With few paying income tax it's little wonder that America is so deep in debt.

I know I haven't paid any income tax for several years due to our family business which is nice but I still file every year. But then again ya can't live the high life on a small pension and Social Security either.

HALF of Americans don't pay income tax despite crippling government debt | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM

296 posts, read 413,658 times
Consider that the government is too big. For instance our school is building a new daycare/preschool. This will take away the opportunity for a private person to run that business. The list goes on.

Everything is being corporatized. That means we keep funneling power up to the top. Middle and upper managers want to monitor everything with more and more reports, and they want more and more regulations. People are scared to make a decision without consulting a higher authority.

Boo.

If the American people want more freedom they will have to demand it. Instead they keep buying the lie of a zero risk world brought to them by a giant all-knowing government.

What are you gonna do about it?

Old 02-23-2012, 02:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
america is deep in debt because our government is too big

Old 02-23-2012, 02:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
These headlines are written to be sensationalist and get attention, but they can be completely misleading.

Consider this quote taken directly from the article:

Quote:
These figures include children, the retired, and others who do not participate in the labour force.
What percentage of US citizens are either children or retired? Going by the Wiki article for Demographics of the US (yes, I know that isn't a definitive source, but let's take it as an estimate), 20.2% are age 14 and younger, and 12.8% are 65 and older, so that is a total of 33%

What percentage is unemployed right now? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the most recent number is 8.3%

That is 41.3% of American Citizens who don't have earned income to pay income tax on. So if 49.5% are not paying taxes, that only leaves 8.2% who are actually working and not paying any tax on what they earn. And ok, some of those over 65 are not retired, but some of those under 65 are, so it comes out roughly in the ballpark anyway. Somewhere around 8-10%, not 50%

But that doesn't make such a great headline, does it?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
If 50% don't have income to pay taxes the government should cut down its size so they don't have to steal from the other people who do pay taxes when their size keeps growing and their debts keeps increasing... isn't that the logical approach?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:09 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
These headlines are written to be sensationalist and get attention, but they can be completely misleading.
Wait you can't possibly be thinking that Tightwad started a thread based on a dramatic but misleading blurb of sensationalist information!

Couldn't be.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 AM

307 posts, read 630,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

Consider this quote taken directly from the article:

What percentage of US citizens are either children or retired? Going by the Wiki article for Demographics of the US (yes, I know that isn't a definitive source, but let's take it as an estimate), 20.2% are age 14 and younger, and 12.8% are 65 and older, so that is a total of 33%

What percentage is unemployed right now? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the most recent number is 8.3%

That is 41.3% of American Citizens who don't have earned income to pay income tax on. So if 49.5% are not paying taxes, that only leaves 8.2% who are actually working and not paying any tax on what they earn. And ok, some of those over 65 are not retired, but some of those under 65 are, so it comes out roughly in the ballpark anyway. Somewhere around 8-10%, not 50%

But that doesn't make such a great headline, does it?
Interesting. Whenever I see these numbers I don't think of children or the elderly. I just automatically assume it is working people with lots of kids.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestyn View Post
Interesting. Whenever I see these numbers I don't think of children or the elderly. I just automatically assume it is working people with lots of kids.
And that's exactly what the people pushing their agenda in misleading ways hope.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
...but the children, senior citizens and others who don't pay taxes for whatever reason....still get services and help if they need it...which have to be paid for by those of us who ARE paying taxes.

So I think -- when taken in PERSPECTIVE -- the half of American pay taxes issue is a fair one.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
^^^The "others"... like many (that should be working) adults today???
Fair and "unfair"??? No one is "entitled" to live (in a totally natural "green" world of strongest survive; example via animal kingdom) much less be entitled to live off someone else's income...
Who are on the excuses of "welfare"??? Not the really really need it people???
So if you are living on the grace of someone elses paychecks... shouldn't you be "nicer" to these people who actually paid your way???

---------------------------

"HALF of Americans don't pay income tax......."

Is like "America" as a person, with only one leg standing...
not very stable mind you!

And thus the "actual state" of the american economy... how long before the actual fall to the ground.
How will the people on the other half of that non-contributing, non-working, handicapped leg help that body survive then???
And when rendered soooo weak when it cannot stand on its own 2 legs... what happens if there is "noone" (not China, Germany, Europe etc.) to help prop that body up???
What then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics