U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,718,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Big Food doesn't have to go. There is a thriving niche market for fresh, direct from the farmer food.
No one is forced to buy one or the other.

It's all about choice here. Just be a smart and informed shopper.
Sorry to say that in some areas of the country this just isn't true. Choice isn't possible due to the super stores shutting out any form of competition.

That and stupid laws about selling home grown foods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,448,132 times
I dsagree with the OP. I am 64. I can rememebr when we had few choice;it was the local merchnats who charged what they wanted and used politcal infuence to stop competition. Its was the good ole boy system. he banker and local mechnats were the moeny people i cities. They often even ran charge accounts them slef that were paid on payday. Atleast where I live you now have a choice between local merchants and nation chains.Its called competition and has keeep price lower.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 PM

5,036 posts, read 7,265,694 times
There is a documentary on Hulu about this topic, you can watch it for free:

Hulu - The Future Of Food - Watch the full movie now. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food - broken link)

Old 03-02-2012, 08:24 AM

12,545 posts, read 19,473,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
is it not true that life expectancy has gone up? I think we are living longer. I dont eat crap food but sometime I think about that half of the equation and feel better!
true, but there's something to be said about our lifestyle here, which includes our diet, and other countries. I spent 5 weeks in Rome and ate tons of food, but lost 15 pounds. Some would say it was the walking, but I lived and worked in NYC and walked far more, but gained weight. I think there's a lot of stuff in our food that is not necessary, and doesn't help us with our health.

I realize to feed a large number of people you need economies of scale, but I have recently started to limit my food to "real" food. I eat organic where possible as well. Our consumption lifestyle is really not sustainable as more people adopt it.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM

12,545 posts, read 19,473,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I just did the calculation based on what we make and what we spend on food and it came out 6%. Slightly more than our winter utility bills.

We go once a month to Costco, and only to Safeway or other large supermarkets when they have things we use on sale. During the summer we buy locally grown produce from a farmer's market and do grow some of our own, mostly because fresh picked just tastes better.

Lately I have notice that the organic produce is cheaper than regular, and
It used to be a lot more expensive. Apparently because no one buys it they have had to lower the price.
I don't know about your area, but in my area, organic food runs out quickly. It's not as expensive as it used to be, but it certainly isn't cheaper. wish i could get it cheaper!

also - there's a reason why your fresh picked tastes better, and it isn't only because it is fresh picked!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM

506 posts, read 1,151,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
true, but there's something to be said about our lifestyle here, which includes our diet, and other countries. I spent 5 weeks in Rome and ate tons of food, but lost 15 pounds. Some would say it was the walking, but I lived and worked in NYC and walked far more, but gained weight. I think there's a lot of stuff in our food that is not necessary, and doesn't help us with our health.

I realize to feed a large number of people you need economies of scale, but I have recently started to limit my food to "real" food. I eat organic where possible as well. Our consumption lifestyle is really not sustainable as more people adopt it.
What do you eat?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,631,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Sorry to say that in some areas of the country this just isn't true. Choice isn't possible due to the super stores shutting out any form of competition.

That and stupid laws about selling home grown foods.
Maybe they ARE there but you don't know about them.

Here's a link to find local food in your state/community:
Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,631,796 times
I just figured we're living longer because we ingest all those "preservatives" in the food

Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,927,299 times
Just like any other industries, there are so many mergers and acquisitions, which don't help the employees, and are not good for the consumer, resulting in fewer choices. This goes on and on as much as corporate America can get away with, stopping just short of violating anti-trust laws.

I was in TX last year after a long absence and although the population in the city I was in really boomed, the number of supermarkets declined, resulting in higher prices due to the aforementioned lower competition. Many of those former supermarket spaces are now occupied by crap stores like Big Lots instead.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 27,837,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I just figured we're living longer because we ingest all those "preservatives" in the food
At least I can rest assured that I'm never going to decompose :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics