U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
18,207 posts, read 16,645,567 times
Reputation: 18191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The same can be said of manufacturing. Many many companies are coming out and saying they were wrong about offshoring some of the manufacturing jobs to low wage countries. Intellectual property issues, skimming, state-based subsidies which heavily favor local businesses 99.9999% of the time, and low-skilled workers are all contributing to the 500,000 new manufacturing jobs that are available now. Manufacturers are also finding that when you export jobs, you export the learning of new technology and processes that go with it, so they're having to re-train hundreds of thousands who want work.

I think Jim McNerny, CEO of Boeing, said it best when he said that "we, lemminglike" exported jobs to places like China whilst attracted by low wages. Rising oil costs, rising wages in those previously-cheap countries, and aforementioned other issues are finally coming to a head. Why pay foreigners to do the work and then a year later turn around and have an exact copy domestically produced compete against you, while also having said competitor benefit from extremely slanted domestic rules?

No thank you! I can see why so many places are hiring now.

Anyway, my predictions for growth:

Skilled manufacturing (CNC machining, crane operators, people who fix the robots who do the assembly work, etc)
Engineering (specifically aerospace, mechanical, nano-tech, etc)
Man/machine interfaces (cybernetics and hardware/wetware interfaces)
software engineering (artificial intelligence and automated decision-making neural networks are the future)
It is very difficult to find some of these skilled trade workers in manufacturing. Many of the workers have told their kids not to follow in their footsteps, and find other things to do with their lives. Illegal immigrant workers are also an issue even in some of the lower end high tech skilled trade jobs. Hard to say how it will all work out, but there has been steady job growth for some time now. CNC machining in particular has experienced mini boom periods. Wages seem to be rising in many parts of the country for this kind of work. A few years ago, employers weren't even bothering to post wage ranges because they wanted workers as cheap as possible. Today, they just want workers, price be negotiated, along with wage range posted. While there is a shortage, management has done this to themselves by beating the sector down for so long. Many left for other industries, leaving manufacturing forever. As long as there will be a war of management vs labor in America, those that left will never return, and there will be a shortage. While there is a shortage, there is a shortage for all the wrong reasons...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
18,207 posts, read 16,645,567 times
Reputation: 18191
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Jobs like plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics, landscapers, locksmiths, will never be shipped overseas.
They won't be leaving, but people would be suprised how many illegals are here doing that kind of work. Also, the unemployment rate for union plumbers and electricians is appauling. Many are going to be working well beyond their retirement age just to catch up. When your out of work for 5 years, your pension gets clobbered. You get what you pay for, but some people have no problem paying less to get an illegal to wire their house if it saves money. Sure, it doesn't help when your house burns down, but people are stupid. I have seen some very scary work done in Chicago and Detroit as evidence. The underground economy is alive and well in this country, probably more so here than anywhere else. Some of these jobs will pay well, if your lucky.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
 
Location: MN
378 posts, read 641,672 times
Reputation: 267
Fortune teller
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Up North
3,429 posts, read 8,078,520 times
Reputation: 3109
Its so disgusting how people talk about "illegals".

No person can be illegal simply for being.

These people don't have papers, and that is a problem no other groups of immigrants have dealt with before because we used to let pretty much everyone in upon arrival.

American's shouldn't be threatened by workers without papers because it is so much easier for an American landscaper, plumber, auto mechanic, electrician, child care provider to market themselves to other Americans than it is for a clearly "foreign" person with possibly an accent and cultural differences to market themselves to American's.

Most of the large employers of these "undocumented workers" are downright abusive and no person with rights (ie:someone with "papers"/an American) would never tolerate working under those conditions.

Instead of speaking negatively about "illegal" persons, have some compassion. Some of these people escaped starvation, or a neighborhood on lock down by huge drug dealers, they come to the United States just to try to have a fair shot at life... the kind of life we Americans may take for granted until we hear a person without paper's story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
18,207 posts, read 16,645,567 times
Reputation: 18191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Its so disgusting how people talk about "illegals".

No person can be illegal simply for being.

These people don't have papers, and that is a problem no other groups of immigrants have dealt with before because we used to let pretty much everyone in upon arrival.

American's shouldn't be threatened by workers without papers because it is so much easier for an American landscaper, plumber, auto mechanic, electrician, child care provider to market themselves to other Americans than it is for a clearly "foreign" person with possibly an accent and cultural differences to market themselves to American's.

Most of the large employers of these "undocumented workers" are downright abusive and no person with rights (ie:someone with "papers"/an American) would never tolerate working under those conditions.

Instead of speaking negatively about "illegal" persons, have some compassion. Some of these people escaped starvation, or a neighborhood on lock down by huge drug dealers, they come to the United States just to try to have a fair shot at life... the kind of life we Americans may take for granted until we hear a person without paper's story.
Many of these people come here for the subsidies. That's money out of our pockets into them. If I want to donate to charity, which I do, I will decide who gets it. As long as they drop their anchor here, the government will pick up the tab while they work an $8/hr job. I live in a "sanctuary state". The COL is high, yet they line up for $8/hr jobs, mostly supplied by the temp agencies. This is the biggest scam running right under the noses of the American people. And apartments here rent for prices many Americans cannot afford to pay. No problem for the illegals, when they fit 3 families in one apartment.

And Mexico is not nearly as bad a place to live as many seem to think. There are plenty of jobs there, and a lot more folks who speak Spanish. Most recognize that Mexico has improved greatly over the years economically, and many talk of going back one day. The social safety nets are one of the strongest motivators to stay here for many though. One problem that drives many illegals here... It's very difficult to get a job with a criminal record. Makes ya sleep sound at night, doesn't it?

I asked one guy why he came here. Said people were returning to his country with money, nice cars, nice things... He could live comfortably in his country, but he could afford luxuries things. He wanted to get his. Only thing is, a lot of those opportunities for illegal immigrants are disappearing. There are more American's than ever willing to work for peanuts, driving many migrants out of the labor force. He has kids though, and can count on a food card, free health care, and many more things his country doesn't offer. Seems as though the labor market has made quite an adjustment over the past 5 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,294 posts, read 45,449,501 times
Reputation: 31639
What jobs are going to be highest paid in the future?
Water dowser Dowsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and LICENSED plumbers who can separate your systems in the house for gray water recycle / conservation / rain collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I agree that engineering talent in the US and Europe far outclasses most of anything that India or China can produce. Heck even the Japanese are more derivative based thinking focusing on efficiency rather than breakthrough design work.

... Innovation and outside the box thinking is in low supply in China and India because in the former country innovation is the product of unorthodox thinking, ... The few times we've tried farming out the innovation and mind-bending work to other countries were utter failures.
And to think how much MORE innovation and engineering was spawned in garages and on USA farms (my engineer friends in Asia claim they are at a 'disadvantage' because they didn't grow up with 'garages' to tinker in.) but few USA kids tinker in garages anymore (I had 7 cars BEFORE I was 16).

I served a career in multi-nation technical procurement and supplier development, and most other nations are very adaptive to derivatives of inventions and ideas, They especially value education and many have excellent Vocational Schools, and Technical Universities. USA could strategically use that to our advantage, but then we are not too strategic ... (we leave that to the Chinese)

For future, we really don't know highest pay, but actuarials do pretty well and since the USA is so WEAK in math, it might be a good place to head. They will certainly be in demand with our blooming insurance and regulation industries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
5,724 posts, read 9,270,177 times
Reputation: 6923
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Many of these people come here for the subsidies. That's money out of our pockets into them. If I want to donate to charity, which I do, I will decide who gets it. As long as they drop their anchor here, the government will pick up the tab while they work an $8/hr job. I live in a "sanctuary state". The COL is high, yet they line up for $8/hr jobs, mostly supplied by the temp agencies. This is the biggest scam running right under the noses of the American people. And apartments here rent for prices many Americans cannot afford to pay. No problem for the illegals, when they fit 3 families in one apartment.

And Mexico is not nearly as bad a place to live as many seem to think. There are plenty of jobs there, and a lot more folks who speak Spanish. Most recognize that Mexico has improved greatly over the years economically, and many talk of going back one day. The social safety nets are one of the strongest motivators to stay here for many though. One problem that drives many illegals here... It's very difficult to get a job with a criminal record. Makes ya sleep sound at night, doesn't it?

I asked one guy why he came here. Said people were returning to his country with money, nice cars, nice things... He could live comfortably in his country, but he could afford luxuries things. He wanted to get his. Only thing is, a lot of those opportunities for illegal immigrants are disappearing. There are more American's than ever willing to work for peanuts, driving many migrants out of the labor force. He has kids though, and can count on a food card, free health care, and many more things his country doesn't offer. Seems as though the labor market has made quite an adjustment over the past 5 years.
Oh... And don't forget about the free, dual-language public education for which the taxpayers foot the bill. Public schools don't check papers. Schools in my area (also Chicago) are struggling for money for basics, yet will provide a free Spanish curriculum, free meals, free school supplies, free med/dental care to anyone under 18. What a great incentive to get to this country any way you can.

What other immigrant population in IL gets a free dual language education? And the free med/dental care is geared specifically to the illegal immigrant population based on their marketing strategies. The very low income non-immigrant families (and there are many) won't receive the flyers and probably couldn't read them anyway as all these services are advertised only in Spanish.

My good friend (an educated, legal immigrant from Mexico) also tells me there are many with a criminal past and won't even allow her kids to associate with this community. She tells me how parents often refuse to teach/speak any English in the home (even thought they know English) because they want to ensure the dual language skills for when they go back to Mexico. So it is up to the taxpayers to pay for expensive language programs. She tells me how they often send their kids to school without supplies/lunches because they know that the school will be forced to cover it (even though there is easily enough cash being made in the household for these things).

Obviously, there are many great people who immigrate legally from Mexico. However there are also quite a few illegal, criminal immigrants who have gotten very adept at milking our system.

ok... off my soapbox. Your post got me started... Obviously, I agree with you completely.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 03-14-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
5,724 posts, read 9,270,177 times
Reputation: 6923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
American's shouldn't be threatened by workers without papers because it is so much easier for an American landscaper, plumber, auto mechanic, electrician, child care provider to market themselves to other Americans than it is for a clearly "foreign" person with possibly an accent and cultural differences to market themselves to American's.
In my experience, these workers very easily market themselves through word-of-mouth based on price/work quality. I don't think most people have a problem dealing with accent/cultural differences when hiring a landscaper or house painter at, say, $10/hr vs one at $30/hr.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
 
5,931 posts, read 5,644,454 times
Reputation: 6897
Management was/is/will be the highest paid wage job. The laws of pecking order are immutable, top monkey gets the best bamboo sprouts and females, lower ranking monkeys get scraps, the actual contributions, skills, education, work are irrelevant. It's all about pecking order. You people who mentioned machinists and electricians are simply ridiculous. Those are lower ranking jobs, filled by low ranking monkeys, chunky broads are the kind of girls those jobs would get ya.

Here is a very rough sketch of the pecking order.

Owning leisure class #1
Management caste #2
Over-educated (and currently in demand) Grunts #3
Office grunts #4
Worker's aristocracy #5
Working & Serving Classes #6
Low wage class #7
Excess & permanently discarded labor #8
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
5,724 posts, read 9,270,177 times
Reputation: 6923
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Management was/is/will be the highest paid wage job. The laws of pecking order are immutable, top monkey gets the best bamboo sprouts and females, lower ranking monkeys get scraps, the actual contributions, skills, education, work are irrelevant. It's all about pecking order. You people who mentioned machinists and electricians are simply ridiculous. Those are lower ranking jobs, filled by low ranking monkeys, chunky broads are the kind of girls those jobs would get ya.

Here is a very rough sketch of the pecking order.

Owning leisure class #1
Management caste #2
Over-educated (and currently in demand) Grunts #3
Office grunts #4
Worker's aristocracy #5
Working & Serving Classes #6
Low wage class #7
Excess & permanently discarded labor #8
The way to make real money is to own something of value... real estate, companies, stock... rather than having a "job" working for someone else. As you say, to be part of the "owning leisure class." This has always been my goal. But the post did ask about "jobs" (not wealth accumulation) so the answers will relate to middle class jobs. Though sometimes these jobs (e.g. over-educated grunts who start companies) can serve as stepping stones for access to the owning leisure class.

That is how I would look at it... Which specific jobs will allow me movement into the "owning leisure class" (unfortunately, I was not born into this class and have had to work hard to get into it). E.g. Which jobs will give me knowledge, contacts for eventually starting/buying a business.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 03-14-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top