Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 03:07 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this belongs in the business section or the computers one, but since it's more business related, I'll try here first.

Anyway here's my question. I own a small website that's basically a forum and literature/information index on a specialized nostalgia topic. I am basically burned out on running it and having the responsibility. I don't want to just shut it down because it gets a decent amount of traffic and people who use it regularly and enjoy it. So how would I go about A) having its worth appraised and B) finding someone willing to buy it and take over all ownership, operations, upkeep, etc?

Would this even be a feasible idea? Or is the painful truth that with a site like that, while fun and informative, it's largely worthless and if I wanted to divest it, the best and most honest answer would be to simply turn over all the password information to whomever expressed interest?

I figure that a lot of real cost, time, and effort went into setting it up and building it to what it is. To replicate it would be both timely and expensive. So I would think it HAS to be worth something, even if only a couple or few thousand. But I don't know. Again, that's why I'm asking.

Can anyone give me some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Try these for appraisal:

Website value calculator and web information
Alexa the Web Information Company

Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
You can sell your website on Flippa . com
Not sure of the value as most forums generate income from advertising.. typical value of a web site is 10x monthly revenue.. but that's not set in stone... a lot has to do with the domain name itself which could have more value than the content itself..

aside from flippa, there are other sites that you can sell your site and or domain name as well as sites that can appraise your site.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,161 times
Flippa is highly recommended, you will need to post all the info such as earnings, traffic etc.

It really depending on how much traffic you are getting, some people think 100 visitors per day is a lot of traffic while others think 10,000 visitors are peanuts.

What is your number, visitors and page views if you don't mind me asking.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 PM

I checked out Flippa and it really wasn't much help. I attempted to search completed listings using parameters that were similar to my site. Completed results showed nothing and active listings were all over the map, ranging from a low of $1500 to a high of $80,000. I would think that my site falls somewhere in between those extremes, but that's a LOT of gray area. I need to get it narrowed down better than that.

Anyway, you are right. When one says "a lot of traffic", by itself, that doesn't mean much. Comparisons have to be made. Compared to most blogs and many forums? I'd say yes. I get a lot of traffic. When compared to some "major" sites such as Yahoo, Ebay, and the CD forum? It's a drop in the bucket. It's all relative.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of my traffic counts year to date. You will see that summertime tends to take a dip but based on the last four years' history, a summer seasonal dip is the norm and traffic again rebounds between September and April.

One person has expressed some interest and has asked for a number for sale price. Maybe someone else can offer some guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting A Web Site Appraised And Finder A Buyer-thstats.jpg  

Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I don't know how accurate this site is, but it's supposed to give a ballpark figure of a website's worth:

WideStat.com - Website Worth Calculator, Estimated Website Revenue, Approximate Traffic Value

Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 AM

13 posts, read 14,339 times
Hello Des-Lab.

Your traffic report is interesting, but what a potential buyer look is not really the volume of traffic but it is more the income generated by it. How do you monetize your forum? That's what really counts in order to estimate your site value.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattverick View Post
Hello Des-Lab.

Your traffic report is interesting, but what a potential buyer look is not really the volume of traffic but it is more the income generated by it. How do you monetize your forum? That's what really counts in order to estimate your site value.
Member supported. As I stated previously, I currently do not have any programs such as AdSense or links to other companies for monetary support. Consequently I cannot establish any other income. Absent that one metric, are you telling me that the site is essentially worthless? I've already received two offers to buy it but I'm not really crazy about either one. I still think that the site has some money making potential if someone were to actively pursue that. Also, this site would make a good investment for someone who not only wants to pursue ad revenues, but also to take over ownership of a well established and solid traffic base. To that end, it would have to be someone who both knows how to run a web site and has a good working knowledge of the subject matter. In this case, the core traffic base consists of hobbyists of cassette and reel to reel tapes, vinyl LP's, and so forth. These mediums may never again appear at your local Best Buy but the second hand (Ebay) market, the service and repair side, and overall enthusiasts side has gotten HUGE over the last couple of years. Several mainstream media such as Yahoo and CNN have written several articles acknowledging this trend. That is where my site comes in. It provides a venue and place to call home for all these people who, because they dismiss and eschew Ipod's and I-Pads, would otherwise have no online community. That's where I would think it would be better for someone to take it over. With the amount of information, pictures, and documents I have archived, it would simply not be practical, quick, easy, or cheap for someone make an attempt at replicating it from scratch.

Now granted I'm not the only web group that caters to "Old School" stereo systems and music. But I AM arguably the leading one for cassette tapes and players and big reel to reel machines.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
To that end, it would have to be someone who both knows how to run a web site and has a good working knowledge of the subject matter.
Here your thinking is definitely correct. I wouldn't expect getting a remotely realistic price on some general website marketplace. Maybe offer it to your customers?

P.S. Ignore prices in active listings - virtually all of them will never sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics