Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 AM

624 posts, read 1,072,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
What are the pros and cons of ending oil subsidies in the U.S.?

And please I just want analysis and possible debate of how it affects economies, markets, etc. I don't want political rhetoric.

Thank you.
I'm not an expert in anything, but from what I've observed is that anytime you make it more expensive for a business to do something, the business just passess the cost to the consumer. Increase the taxes for your landlord and your rent will go up to compensate (as an example).

This works in any industry and I don't think Oil is an exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Even if we back out taxes and compare it to Europes prices w/o taxes, we still end up with about a 50% discount compared to Europe.If we could get Big Oil out of DC, we would probably and finally get affordable cars with diesel engines. So with their higher MPG we would make the the higher cost at the pump with cars that go further on less gas. We could also get rid of Ethanol which does not boost MPG.
A big part of the difference between our core gas cost and Europe is because refineries are built to handle the special characteristics of the oil produced by their primary sources of supply.

And diesels do not appeal to the average American. You cannot force people to buy a product they do not want. Plus, diesels carry a initial cost premium that offsests some of their fuel efficiency. And America's refineries are optimized for gasoline, not diesel.

Agreed on the ethanol thing. And hybrids take years to break even due to their much higher price. Driving 100,000 miles at 40 MPG uses 2500 gallons. Diving that same 100,000 miles at 25 MPG uses 4000 gallons. That 1500 gallon difference at $4 a gallon is $6000. The average hybrid costs about $5-6K more (plus tax and possibly finance charges and loss of interest). Since the average driver goes 10,000 miles a year, it could take 10 years to break even!

Study shows most green cars aren’t worth the price premium

Only one in three hybrid owners stick with technology when replacing vehicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics