U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,227,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Aside from that, generations ago, young people could walk out and get a job, and a decent one at that.
Ok, what was the unemployment rate for people under 25 in the 1950s? What was the median wage for people under age 25 in the 1950s, adjusted for inflation in today's dollars?

Sure you must know these things since willing to make such a strong blanket statement as fact.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 AM

7,134 posts, read 10,377,609 times
Not the entire world. There are countries that are doing quite well even in the current environment.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,647,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Ok, what was the unemployment rate for people under 25 in the 1950s? What was the median wage for people under age 25 in the 1950s, adjusted for inflation in today's dollars?

Sure you must know these things since willing to make such a strong blanket statement as fact.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Oozc6IOlRd1Drg

As you can see the employment rate for those under 25 is droping like a rock, and there is nothing to suggest the current trend will not continue.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
As you can see the employment rate for those under 25 is droping like a rock, and there is nothing to suggest the current trend will not continue.
I was contesting the claim "generations ago, young people could walk out and get a job, and a decent one at that" as some sort of absolute compared to more recent generations. The chart from your own link demonstrates this to be false as youth employment in the 1950s and 1960s was weaker than the three decades that followed.

The 1950s and 1960s weren't some magical time where all things came easy.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
So when charts going back 40 years don't align with your claims about today's students you just demand we take it back farther? I'm thinking if that chart showed our test scores rising since 1950 you'd ask for 1930, but whatever I've got no idea what test scores were in the 50s, but I do know a far greater percentage of young men and women graduate from high school and collge.
It matters little if someone graduated, if the standards have been lowered to facilitate graduation over education.
I know plenty of high school graduates who are functionally illiterate. You do not attend school to get a piece of paper, you attend to acquire an education.

We have an entire population that does not understand the basics of math and finance as can be demonstrated by the debt based economy we live in.

We have an entire population that does not understand our own history and constitution as we now believe we are subservient to government.

We have an entire population that can be manipulated to do whatever the people with money want them to do as can be proven by the correlation between campaign spending and who gets elected.

We have an entire population who thinks the Federal Reserve is part of the United States government.

We even have people who are so stupid they believe government statistics on inflation despite their own experience.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM

18,140 posts, read 16,601,096 times
Quote:
I was contesting the claim "generations ago, young people could walk out and get a job, and a decent one at that" as some sort of absolute compared to more recent generations. The chart from your own link demonstrates this to be false as youth employment in the 1950s and 1960s was weaker than the three decades that followed.

You didn't require full employment in the 50's. One income earner could supply the necessities, so many women chose not to work. Different times we live in. It requires 2 incomes for many to survive, and that is not exactly easy to come by.

I'm sure many can attest to the wage adjusted for inflation situation during the 70's. I recall one poster on here some time age mentioning they could easily earn 2K (adjusted for inflation) putting holes in toilet seats around that time. I doubt we have many folks speaking English doing that type of work today.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It matters little if someone graduated, if the standards have been lowered to facilitate graduation over education.
I know plenty of high school graduates who are functionally illiterate. You do not attend school to get a piece of paper, you attend to acquire an education.

We have an entire population that does not understand the basics of math and finance as can be demonstrated by the debt based economy we live in.

We have an entire population that does not understand our own history and constitution as we now believe we are subservient to government.

We have an entire population that can be manipulated to do whatever the people with money want them to do as can be proven by the correlation between campaign spending and who gets elected.

We have an entire population who thinks the Federal Reserve is part of the United States government.

We even have people who are so stupid they believe government statistics on inflation despite their own experience.
I'd wager your average college graduate is more likely to be literate and better at math than your average high school dropout. It looks like almost half of young people didn't even graduate high school in the 1950s and 1960s.

That is great that you know some high school graduates who are functionally illiterate, but literacy rates are higher now than in the 1950s and 1960s.

Won't bother with all your hyperbole about what the "entire population" is or isn't.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You didn't require full employment in the 50's. One income earner could supply the necessities, so many women chose not to work. Different times we live in. It requires 2 incomes for many to survive, and that is not exactly easy to come by.
You claimed x, and are backing it up by pointing out y.

You implied in previous generations young people could walk out and can a decent job. When statistics on youth employment for previous generation didn't support that you're suddenly talking about whether people actually needed to incomes.

I'm sorry but your anecdotal experiences in school and questionable claims of the glory days of easy employment for all in past generations aren't going to convince me that that the abilities of the younger generation as a whole are any less than in previous ones. I'm not saying I can't be convinced of that, but I'm fairly skeptical since I don't see anyone able to support it with facts.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:02 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,930,021 times
Quote:

The 70's were though. One could still get a white collar job with just a HS diploma.
I did as an assistant to an analyst on Wall Street. HS diploma and high math skills.

Couldn't get that today. Practically every white collar job requires college, some even require a masters degree before they will even consider you.

That is just insane.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'd wager your average college graduate is more likely to be literate and better at math than your average high school dropout. It looks like almost half of young people didn't even graduate high school in the 1950s and 1960s.

That is great that you know some high school graduates who are functionally illiterate, but literacy rates are higher now than in the 1950s and 1960s.

Won't bother with all your hyperbole about what the "entire population" is or isn't.
You won't bother because as usual, you ignore any argument you cannot dispute. As far as your claim of literacy rates I would like to see some proof on that one because it is in direct contrast to the issue of there being over 20 million illegal immigrants in the US who are not even fluent in English much less literate. That is of course unless you are saying that the educational system in the third world countries they came from is equal to or superior to the one here in the US. Then we have to take into account the claims of teachers who state that the impact of non-English speaking children in the classroom requiring increased amounts of teacher’s time causing a drain on classroom resources as is often discussed in the education thread.
At any rate we are way off track of the original topic which is the deterioration of the world economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics