U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 PM
 
8,265 posts, read 11,230,465 times
Reputation: 4788

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You won't bother because as usual, you ignore any argument you cannot dispute.
I'll bother then: I know the Fed is not part of the US Government. I've seen quite a few other posters on here who are obviously aware of the same thing. Therefore we do not have an entire population who believes the Fed is part of the US Government.

Your welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
As far as your claim of literacy rates I would like to see some proof on that one
Historical here showing upward trends since 1950s:
National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL) - 120 Years of Literacy
Stages of Economic Growth | Gongol.com

Wiki pegs current United States literacy rate at 99%
List of countries by literacy rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
it is in direct contrast to the issue of there being over 20 million illegal immigrants in the US who are not even fluent in English much less literate.
I don't believe you have to be able to speak English to be considered literate, most of 'em can probably read Spanish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,649,856 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Your statistics end in 1979..... Which are probably correct, and have fallen since.

[/quote]Wiki pegs current United States literacy rate at 99%
List of countries by literacy rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL, Your joking right! You use a source of proof that ranks the US 46th in world litteracy! Equal to Puero Rico and behind such bastions of higher learning as North Korea, Guyana, and Tajikistan!
Hey slackjaw, thanks for the belly laugh, I have not enjoyed a post as much as this one in a long time.
He He He You definatly proved your case!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM
 
8,265 posts, read 11,230,465 times
Reputation: 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
LOL, Your joking right! You use a source of proof that ranks the US 46th in world litteracy! Equal to Puero Rico and behind such bastions of higher learning as North Korea, Guyana, and Tajikistan!
Hey slackjaw, thanks for the belly laugh, I have not enjoyed a post as much as this one in a long time.
He He He You definatly proved your case!
In other words, sucks you asked for proof and got it.

Tell me jimhcom, what is the literacy rate in North Korea? Do you know anything about North Korea? They are poor, but even poor NE Asian cultures place a lot of emphasis on education, it is ironic your belly laughing while in the midst of displaying such colossal level of ignorance about the world around you.


North Korea

via News Indepth: North Korea
Children in North Korea are required to attend school for eleven years, beginning with preschool. Thereafter, technical schools and college are available. The literacy rate is close to 100 percent.

via FRONTLINE/WORLD . North Korea - Suspicious Minds . Facts & Stats | PBS
North Korea's literacy rate is close to 100 percent.

via https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/kn.html
total population: 99%
male: 99%
female: 99% (1991 est.)


via https://www.globaldataconsortium.com/kp.html
The literacy rate is 99%

via North Korea Statistics | Statistic Brain
Literacy rate 99%



OMG the US ranked behind North Korea, according to worldly and wise jimhcom that is such an absurd notion the source must be rejected outright!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,649,856 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
In other words, sucks you asked for proof and got it.

Tell me jimhcom, what is the literacy rate in North Korea? Do you know anything about North Korea? They are poor, but even poor NE Asian cultures place a lot of emphasis on education, it is ironic your belly laughing while in the midst of displaying such colossal level of ignorance about the world around you.


North Korea

via News Indepth: North Korea
Children in North Korea are required to attend school for eleven years, beginning with preschool. Thereafter, technical schools and college are available. The literacy rate is close to 100 percent.

via FRONTLINE/WORLD . North Korea - Suspicious Minds . Facts & Stats | PBS
North Korea's literacy rate is close to 100 percent.

via https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/kn.html
total population: 99%
male: 99%
female: 99% (1991 est.)


via https://www.globaldataconsortium.com/kp.html
The literacy rate is 99%

via North Korea Statistics | Statistic Brain
Literacy rate 99%



OMG the US ranked behind North Korea, according to worldly and wise jimhcom that is such an absurd notion the source must be rejected outright!
No, I accept your source. It proves my point that the educational system here sucks eggs, I think you forgot the original argument. That is why I was laughing, you proved my point. You really are making this too easy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
 
8,265 posts, read 11,230,465 times
Reputation: 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post


No, I accept your source. It proves my point that the educational system here sucks eggs, I think you forgot the original argument.
Sheesh your attention span is too short to even realize how foolish you look.

1. You talk about how poorly the kids today read and do math
2. I said literacy rates are higher now than in the 1950s
3. You demand proof
4. I provide proof
5. You laugh at the proof, mocking North Korea being listed as high literacy
6. I demonstrate how completely naive you are on world literacy rates
7. Suddenly you accept my source, but have somehow won

Hilarious, its like arguing with a child who chants "nuh uh" over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
That is why I was laughing, you proved my point. You really are making this too easy.
See above.

Then go read up on North Korea so you don't look like such a naive buffoon laughing at their literacy rate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,649,856 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Sheesh your attention span is too short to even realize how foolish you look.

1. You talk about how poorly the kids today read and do math
2. I said literacy rates are higher now than in the 1950s
3. You demand proof
4. I provide proof
5. You laugh at the proof, mocking North Korea being listed as high literacy
6. I demonstrate how completely naive you are on world literacy rates
7. Suddenly you accept my source, but have somehow won

Hilarious, its like arguing with a child who chants "nuh uh" over and over.


See above.

Then go read up on North Korea so you don't look like such a naive buffoon laughing at their literacy rate.
You proved nothing; your so called proof was a statistic from 1979, when literacy rates were higher than now. Then you provide proof that the United States is 46th in the world in literacy on equal footing with Puerto Rico (a well-known educational Meca) and somehow think you have proved your point.
Like I said before you make this too easy. I was not laughing at NK's literacy rate, I was laughing at you for thinking our literacy rate is acceptable being far below theirs. As far as NK goes, you are talking about a country that is impoverished beyond anything you could imagine. The fact that they have a higher literacy rate than the US is shameful. These people are eating the bark off of trees for god’s sake!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
 
48,508 posts, read 88,781,384 times
Reputation: 18192
I think we are in for a long recovery and slow kob growth for some eyars to come. ven then the job market will be greatly chnaged.Certainly more and more automatio because of cost to emply beig such a issue i a compaetitve world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 02:55 PM
 
8,265 posts, read 11,230,465 times
Reputation: 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You proved nothing; your so called proof was a statistic from 1979, when literacy rates were higher than now.
Neato alternate reality denial thing you have going there after getting called on your bs. Lets use direct quotes shall we?

slackjaw: "literacy rates are higher now than in the 1950s and 1960s."

jimhcom: "As far as your claim of literacy rates I would like to see some proof on that one "

slackjaw: (demonstrates literacy rates lower in the 1950s and 1960s)


and now you're hung up on 1979, not the 50s and 60s. Either way it sure shoots a big torpedo into your latest jimhcom manufactured facts about the literacy of today's population.



Quote:
Then you provide proof that the United States is 46th in the world in literacy on equal footing with Puerto Rico (a well-known educational Meca) and somehow think you have proved your point.
I proved that the current literacy rate (99%) is better now than in the 1950s, which was my intent. You implied otherwise, but as usual were incorrect in your claim.

Also = The United States isn't ranked 46th, the 1st column is row number, the second number is rank. Sound it out jim, r-a-n-k. Look for the r in the front of the word you'll probably recognize that one.

On that chart the United States is ranked 10th along with all the other 99% countries like Germany, France, Japan, Canada, Norway, Luxembourg, South Korea, etc. OMG jimhcom the US is so far behind ranked with most of the other 1st world countries at 10th! End of days. Time to go on CityData and talk about how the population here is illiterate.

Ironic you lecture about literacy when you can't even read and comprehend a freakin' chart on the internet.


Quote:
I was not laughing at NK's literacy rate, I was laughing at you for thinking our literacy rate is acceptable being far below theirs.
You are obviously part of the reason the US is stuck at 99% literacy rate. How is a country with 99% literacy rate "far below" any other country, especially one that is often also cited as being 99%.

Either you are in an alternate reality or can't read.

Last edited by slackjaw; 06-28-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 04:27 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,649,856 times
Reputation: 5180
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Neato alternate reality denial thing you have going there after getting called on your bs. Lets use direct quotes shall we?

slackjaw: "literacy rates are higher now than in the 1950s and 1960s."

jimhcom: "As far as your claim of literacy rates I would like to see some proof on that one "

slackjaw: (demonstrates literacy rates lower in the 1950s and 1960s)


and now you're hung up on 1979, not the 50s and 60s. Either way it sure shoots a big torpedo into your latest jimhcom manufactured facts about the literacy of today's population.




I proved that the current literacy rate (99%) is better now than in the 1950s, which was my intent. You implied otherwise, but as usual were incorrect in your claim.

Also = The United States isn't ranked 46th, the 1st column is row number, the second number is rank. Sound it out jim, r-a-n-k. Look for the r in the front of the word you'll probably recognize that one.

On that chart the United States is ranked 10th along with all the other 99% countries like Germany, France, Japan, Canada, Norway, Luxembourg, South Korea, etc. OMG jimhcom the US is so far behind ranked with most of the other 1st world countries at 10th! End of days. Time to go on CityData and talk about how the population here is illiterate.

Ironic you lecture about literacy when you can't even read and comprehend a freakin' chart on the internet.



You are obviously part of the reason the US is stuck at 99% literacy rate. How is a country with 99% literacy rate "far below" any other country, especially one that is often also cited as being 99%.

Either you are in an alternate reality or can't read.
OK you win; now is actually 1979, all those countries above us on the chart with higher literacy rates are actually below us, and everything is ass backwards in the world according to slackjaw.
Tell yourself you won this argument and allow that to comfort you. And hey, thanks for the laughs. You definatly provide some amusement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 PM
 
8,265 posts, read 11,230,465 times
Reputation: 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
OK you win; now is actually 1979,
Never said that, I said the literacy rate in the 1950s was lower than it is today, which is 99%. You are clearly continuing to fixate on 79% attempting to steer away in any direction than getting caught making up facts again about literacy today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
all those countries above us on the chart with higher literacy rates are actually below us, and everything is ass backwards in the world according to slackjaw.
Never say that either, just pointed out many are ranked #10 and in a striking blow to literacy you proved yourself incapable of reading or understanding a chart. Maybe I can find one in crayon next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
And hey, thanks for the laughs. You definatly provide some amusement.
Well I'll concede you are proving there are "definitely" some issues with adults and basic literacy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top