U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 PM

11,111 posts, read 10,681,254 times

Advertisements

Jim,

I don't know if you pick up on it or not. Maybe its simply beyond you. The issue here isn't really literacy rates. The issue is that you are always posting apocalyptic topics about the economy which suggest that mankind is on the verge of extinction. Those of us who can think logically simply deconstruct your arguments one at a time. You make an exaggerated claim. You get called on it. Rather, than owe up to the exaggerations and distortions, you stubbornly plod along not allowing any counter arguments to change your simplistic view of the world.

I find it both laughable and frustrating the way those who have this "apocalyptic view" of the world act. They constantly make statements that are easily refutable. Yet, even when confronted with the equivalent of "the sun rises in the east every morning" they won't acknowledge it to save their lives.

You're being forced to defend what you post and you're doing a miserable job of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,645,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Jim,

I don't know if you pick up on it or not. Maybe its simply beyond you. The issue here isn't really literacy rates. The issue is that you are always posting apocalyptic topics about the economy which suggest that mankind is on the verge of extinction. Those of us who can think logically simply deconstruct your arguments one at a time. You make an exaggerated claim. You get called on it. Rather, than owe up to the exaggerations and distortions, you stubbornly plod along not allowing any counter arguments to change your simplistic view of the world.

I find it both laughable and frustrating the way those who have this "apocalyptic view" of the world act. They constantly make statements that are easily refutable. Yet, even when confronted with the equivalent of "the sun rises in the east every morning" they won't acknowledge it to save their lives.

You're being forced to defend what you post and you're doing a miserable job of it.
You are being more than a little dramatic to characterize any topic I have illuminated as being an apocalypse or extinction.
While I do subscribe to the point of view that things are getting worse and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, you would for the most part need to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to be able to see that for yourself. The only way things will ever begin to improve is when the average person understands what it is that is actually happening and why. It is impossible to fix any problem you refuse to admit exists.
What I find truly obscene, is people who would try to silence anyone voicing a alternative viewpoint than their own which appears to be your objective. It has been my past experience that when this happens it is usually because someone is benefiting from the status quo, and is fearful of anything that might facilitate change.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM

8,324 posts, read 8,718,130 times
I haven't read all the posts, just the thread title...I try not to be a doomsdayer, but I confess there are times when I fear the U.S.' best days are slowly coming to an end. Yes, we've rebounded before. But the world wasn't as small, and interconnected as it is now. WE were the big dog on the block. Now, our economy is competing with China, India, Brazil and other countries, our financial system is not immune to other's failures, our jobs continue to go to other countries, like the Philippines, and the ones already mentioned. And our enemies -- if they're not already here, lying in wait -- can strike at any time even from abroad

Every empire has fallen. I don't know why we think we're any different. Sure Greece, Japan and Britain are still around. But they're NOT the world leaders they were. It may not be in our lifetimes, or even our children's children's. I guess none of us knows for sure.

In the meantime, I'm saving as much as I can, enjoying my life (because no day is promised) ...and praying for our leaders, and those who hope to be.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:07 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,222,572 times
An interesting point selhars, about countries that were once world leaders. Do countries that were displaced as world leaders suddenly have a much lower standard of living or incur mass suffering?

I believe the United States displaced England as the world's largest economy sometime in the late 19th century, not sure about military/politically but I'd guess early 20th century WW1 or maybe WW2. That is a pretty long timeframe, but I'd be curious if aside direct impact of world events (like proximity/involvement in WW2) the lives of people were changed by losing the #1 ranking.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM

8,324 posts, read 8,718,130 times
You have a point, and I'm not an economist. We'll have to see what emerges after the current economic shake up. I'm sure there are factors I'm not thinking of.

This economic turbulence may just be a phase...but how long a phase, and how might world situations and events affect us...who knows.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:43 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,093,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You have a point, and I'm not an economist. We'll have to see what emerges after the current economic shake up. I'm sure there are factors I'm not thinking of.

This economic turbulence may just be a phase...but how long a phase, and how might world situations and events affect us...who knows.
Do you see India or Iran becoming superpowers?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,710,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Do you see India or Iran becoming superpowers?
India is a superpower. They have dozens of nukes and many jobs that use to belong to the USA. As well as 3x's the population.

Iran is superpower light, in that their ally is Russia.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:50 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,093,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
India is a superpower. They have dozens of nukes and many jobs that use to belong to the USA. As well as 3x's the population.
I would disagree with you that India is currently a superpower.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,710,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I would disagree with you that India is currently a superpower.
Nukes, over a billion people, strategic oil pipelines and shipping lanes, American service jobs and manufacturing.

How do you think a super power is defined.

Oh, and most of the world's mathemetician's (sp?) and engineer's.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 AM

3,746 posts, read 5,575,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Nukes, over a billion people, strategic oil pipelines and shipping lanes, American service jobs and manufacturing.

How do you think a super power is defined.

Oh, and most of the world's mathemetician's (sp?) and engineer's.
Others beg to differ.

‘India Is Not a Superpower’ - India Real Time - WSJ

It's also tough to be considered a super power when over half your people are living in poverty.

Half of India’s population lives below the poverty line

Super powers have infrastructures that go beyond meeting the basic needs of its people. In India nearly half the people living in the cities do not have access to clean water and and sewer.

Tackling the Developing World's Poop Problem - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Not a super power yet. Still have a number of issues to work out. However, it's not likely any time soon as there is a huge concentration of wealth among a small number of Indian people and the wealth is not making its way into society very quickly due to long-standing cultural/religious issues and a socio-economic caste system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics